Considering a "Good Luck" as First Project

  • baitboat_dude
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22 12:43 PM
      I'm planning to make a small open fishing boat, of ply construction,
      and the Good Luck seems the closest to my ideal requirements.

      This will be my first full size boat. I have experience making models
      in the past up to 1/3rd scale. So as much as possible, I would like to
      avoid time consuming "intricate details" for this job, and suggestions
      are welcome.

      Has anyone here done a Good Luck? Are photos of the construction stages
      available?

      If a 12' similar shallow vee design is available I might consider that
      first in the interests of simplicity.

      Norm
    • Mike Dolph
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22 4:33 PM
        Dude,

        I just have to ask because of your moniker; were you planning to use
        it for bait shrimping? There's a 17 foot inboard design of the same
        type that would make a good baitshrimping boat. I can see it with a
        wash board and live box behind a one person cabin open on both sides
        just over or forward of the engine. You can find it in the inboard
        design section, it has a link to good luck since it's a versioin of
        that boat. It would be really good if you could use a big sheet winch
        to haul the net, and mount all this stuff on a welded steel frame
        fixed inside the hull. Sorry I can't answer your question, it's rare
        that anyone would put up with a slow outboard boat.

        Mike Dolph

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "baitboat_dude" <baitboat_dude@...>
        wrote:

        > I'm planning to make a small open fishing boat, of ply construction,
        > and the Good Luck seems the closest to my ideal requirements.
        >
        > This will be my first full size boat. I have experience making models
        > in the past up to 1/3rd scale. So as much as possible, I would like to
        > avoid time consuming "intricate details" for this job, and suggestions
        > are welcome.
        >
        > Has anyone here done a Good Luck? Are photos of the construction stages
        > available?
        >
        > If a 12' similar shallow vee design is available I might consider that
        > first in the interests of simplicity.
        >
        > Norm

      • baitboat_dude
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23 6:37 AM
          Hello Mike.
          Thx for taking the time to reply.
          You're right about the fishing part, but it's for freshwater for 1-3
          person - 1 or 2 90% of the time.

          The localy accepted design for these conditions would be a
          weatherworthy 14'-16' boat with a 6hp outboard.

          I am trying to get a smaller boat to do the job. The problem to be
          overcome is that in two places where it will be used the boat has to
          be physically lifted over a gate every trip.
          It will be used to fish on lakes which are exposed to wind in the
          force 3-5 range.

          So everything boils down to what is the best light dinghy for a small
          light engine, AND for use in waves.

          I accept that most of the requirements are contradictory, so the
          best compromise is what will get built. Cutting the width for weight
          reasons increases roll, choosing a planing hull increases the weight
          and engine size.

          A shallow vee with a keel added should get some of the stability of a
          longer boat.

          The use of really good 6mm sides and 10mm bottom should get the
          weight down - obviously glassed in the important places. I can glass
          in a light structure if necessary so rigidity isn't lost.

          I think a 12' - 13' x 4' - 4 1/2' should do fine.

          So you will see how I found my way to the smaller Atkin's designs
          after looking at all the plethora of stuff around. They cover this
          area very well.

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/WalterPiel.html
          The Walter Piel more or less fits the bill about spot on.
          If the Walter Piel was in a 12-14' size I would have settled on that
          already.
          Reducing a Walter Piel to 12 1/2' or 13' is enticing. I am a tad
          cautious of modifying a first project.

          http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Oar/GoodLuck.html
          The Good luck has less vee and more roll I assume, but otherwise the
          Good Luck is closer to the ideal size from the start..

          I looked at the boat you mentioned .... I could see myself doing that
          later if this works out favourably. Lots of space inside.

          Norm
        • Mike Dolph
          Message 4 of 4 , May 24 1:15 PM
            I think you've chosen well. I can't think of any of the Atkins
            designs on this site that would be better for your purposes. Good
            luck, heheh.