Re: [AtkinBoats] Rocking Chair plans arrived

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2004
      I'm glad the plans got to you alright. Mrs. Atkin usually ships plans within
      a week of receiving an order, I don't know what held her up with yours.

      I think that cross-planked, frameless construction is a very elegant way to
      build a boat. It's been used for years and years for workboats on the
      Chesapeake, and elsewhere, so it's well proven. Does this mean you're going
      to build your Rocking Chair out of "real" wood? Might you even be thinking
      of <gasp> building it according to the plans? ;o)

      Good luck with your project!

      On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:19:31 -0000, Alan wrote:
      > I like this design more and more. I'm really impressed with the
      > elegant simplicity of the design itself and also of the method of
      > construction. Love the clean looking inside of the hull brought
      > about by the absence of frames and stringers. Nothing is
      > superfluous, the whole thing gells together beautifully!
      > Next week I'll finalise the purchase of the timber -- nearly 3
      > cubic metres for the hull and decks alone!! Got onto a great line of
      > seasoned and kiln dried Red Beech from a guy that's shifting his
      > logging operation to another place.
      > I find it interesting that the cost of the materials for this boat
      > is not a heck of a lot more than would be the cost for a building of
      > the same size on foundations (not counting the motor, of course).

      School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of human
      existence . They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks, new and unpleasant
      ordinances, brutal violations of common sense and common decency.
      <H. L. Mencken>
    • alan terry
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2004

        Does this mean you're going
        > to build your Rocking Chair out of "real" wood?

        Yes! At one stage I was even considering pressure treated pine (and
        maybe plywood), but along came the opportunity to purchase clear
        grade hardwood at the same price. All of a sudden the project has
        become REALLY exciting. We've just spent the last few days selecting
        and hauling it all to the workshop. It was a lot of fun, picking out
        which bits would go where!

        Might you even be thinking
        > of <gasp> building it according to the plans? ;o)

        Well --- sort of. I really didn't want to build carvel planked, so
        the plan (subject to amendment, if a better idea comes along, of
        course :) is to glue laminate (wood resin composite), using the
        designed scantling dimensions. The timber I bought is sawn at 4x1
        and will dress down to 7 eighths of an inch, so I plan to put one
        layer of this down as shown on the plans, then laminate another
        layer of 3 eighths of an inch diagonally over this to get the design
        hull and deck thickness of 1 and a quarter inches. I figure this is
        probably over-building, strength-wise, but the weight factors should
        approximate design.
        I'm keen for the general appearance to be close to design, but there
        are a couple of possible alterations at the back of my mind, still
        fermenting:
        1. Putting the motor in a well in the aft deck, and
        2. Raising the fore-deck to the height of the gunwales.

        > Good luck with your project!

        Thanks! By-the-way, a strange thing is happening! I'm really amazed
        at the number of people who respond with "Oh!, I was going to do
        that" or "I wanted to do that" or "I had that idea" or "What a GREAT
        idea!" when they learn about this project. I never realized so many
        people had a fantasy about having a home on the water!

        Any comments/suggestions would be more than welcome!

        Alan Terry