Re: [AtkinBoats] Jasper

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22 3:24 PM
      Some old-timers called the leg o' mutton "cat ketch" rig a "pirogue rig"
      because it was used on the old-time "periaugers" on the East Coast. A look
      at the online dictionaries finds that "pirogue" is synonymous with
      "piragua" and "periauger" and means either a dugout canoe (Cajun pirogues
      are of course plank replacements for dugouts) or a "flatbottom sailing
      boat with two masts." When used to describe a rig the word has nothing to
      do with flat-bottom canoes.

      The Jasper Rick Johnson built is pretty gussied up. The plans call for
      plain plywood sides, not lapstrake, and the decking is less elaborate than
      Rick's. Unfortunately, I've never seen Foxglove under sail. Her latest
      owner seems to prefer rowing. <shrug>

      BTW, Rick Johnson was at the Depoe Bay Wooden Boat Festival last weekend
      building an Uncle Gabe's skiff, from Sam Rabl's book, for a nascent rowing
      club at Toledo. I was surprised at what a nice shape resulted from Rabl's
      simple instructions! :o) There ain't nothing wrong with well-designed
      flat-bottom boats, and they can even be pretty.

      On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 10:07:33 -0700, Michael W wrote:

      > Hi Dennis, My first thought is that Jasper is definitively not a double
      > ended flat bottomed canoe aka Pirogi & misnamed....

      A man who is "ill-adjusted" to the world is always on the verge
      of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds
      himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister. <Hermann Hesse>