Re: A Revolting Rescue Minor

  • Tom Hesselink
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2008
      Thanks for the link, the SolidNav unit looks interesting. Rescue
      Minor would indeed be a sweet ride for 25 minutes with this set up.
      Quick figures: Atkin calls for a 25 HP gas motor. Figure you could
      get equivalent performance with a 15 HP in electric or roughly 10
      Kw. Four 4D 12 volt Lifeline AGM batteries weigh in at 540 lbs and
      rated 122 amp hours to complete discharge over a one hour period so
      we are pushing that measurement already as we will soon see. (Note
      that they are called a 210 amp/hr battery but that is over a 20 hour
      discharge period.) 48 volts times 122 amp/hrs equals 5856 available
      watt/hours, divide by 10 Kw and you end up with .5856 hours which is
      35 minutes to complete discharge. Now, you can't completely
      discharge the batteries very often before cycle life is seriously
      degraded so a more resonalbe figure would be about 25 minutes.
      Unless you plan on only short runs, I would look for a more efficient
      hull or go back in time and invest in Microsoft stock and take your
      earings and get Lithium Ion batteries which currently weigh 7 times
      less per amp/hr but cost ten times more than lead acid. Basically
      planing with electric power is not very practical and especailly with
      a tunnel hull. Still, it is all fun to consider. Best, Tom