A Revolting Rescue Minor

  • Bob & Lin
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18, 2008
      I wonder how a 48V bank of AGM batteries comparable in weight to an
      Atkin era inboard (around 500 lb.) would perforn with this power:
      http://solidnav.com/explorer.htm

      This could be a sweet ride.
    • Ron Butterfield
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18, 2008
        Or, for about a third of that cost, you could try this:
        http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/sailboatkit.htm

        --
        Regards,
        RonB

        On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Bob & Lin <tumates@...> wrote:

        > I wonder how a 48V bank of AGM batteries comparable in weight to an
        > Atkin era inboard (around 500 lb.) would perforn with this power:
        > http://solidnav.com/explorer.htm
        >
        > This could be a sweet ride.

      • Tom Hesselink
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19, 2008
          Thanks for the link, the SolidNav unit looks interesting. Rescue
          Minor would indeed be a sweet ride for 25 minutes with this set up.
          Quick figures: Atkin calls for a 25 HP gas motor. Figure you could
          get equivalent performance with a 15 HP in electric or roughly 10
          Kw. Four 4D 12 volt Lifeline AGM batteries weigh in at 540 lbs and
          rated 122 amp hours to complete discharge over a one hour period so
          we are pushing that measurement already as we will soon see. (Note
          that they are called a 210 amp/hr battery but that is over a 20 hour
          discharge period.) 48 volts times 122 amp/hrs equals 5856 available
          watt/hours, divide by 10 Kw and you end up with .5856 hours which is
          35 minutes to complete discharge. Now, you can't completely
          discharge the batteries very often before cycle life is seriously
          degraded so a more resonalbe figure would be about 25 minutes.
          Unless you plan on only short runs, I would look for a more efficient
          hull or go back in time and invest in Microsoft stock and take your
          earings and get Lithium Ion batteries which currently weigh 7 times
          less per amp/hr but cost ten times more than lead acid. Basically
          planing with electric power is not very practical and especailly with
          a tunnel hull. Still, it is all fun to consider. Best, Tom