Re: Steam bent frames VS laminated frames

  • Tom Hesselink
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 12, 2008
      Let me suggest another method for laminating frames. You can take it
      for what you will.

      Get a plastic staple gun from www.raptornails.com (the staples are
      plastic, not the gun) and staple the laminates directly to the inside
      of the rib bands. Of course you had better heavily wax the rib bands
      first but then you will be able to just grind off the protruding
      staples after the epoxy has set and the rib bands removed. The ribs
      can then be faired with regular block planes, spokeshaves and small
      5" grinders (as they most assuredly will need some fairing). You can
      switch back to stainless staples on the inner laminates once the
      staples are not protuding. I would not incorporate fiberglass into
      the laminations as the whole job will be plenty messy already. The
      glass would add some strength but I don't think you need any more
      strength especially if you cold mold or strip plank the hull. By
      using this method you can also easily shift each laminate sideways a
      bit to help keep the beveled frames inline and then grind off the
      steps in the laminates later. It will be much easier if you cut
      beveled laminates for the frames with steep bevels. For a 7/8" thick
      frame I would suggest using about 5 laminates to prevent spring
      back.

      The idea of lofting stations so that frames can be laminated outside
      of the rib bands will make things very difficult as now you have to
      move the stations in about 2 3/8" (figuring 7/8" for the frames and
      1.5" for the rib bands) from what has been already dictated in the
      plans—that is a time consuming and complicated operation. Like I
      said—take it for what you want. This is going to be a challenging
      job no matter how it is done—patience will be a virtue. Good luck,
      Tom

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "gordocutter_1"