Tolman's adaptation

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 10, 2008
      I got soured on the Tolman tunnel stern boat after reading Ren Tolman's
      article about it in Messing About in Boats. Tolman claims that the
      V-bottom, tunnel-stern Seabright skiff is a traditional design, and
      doesn't give Wm. Atkin much credit for it. Traditional Seabright skiffs
      are round-bilged, lapstrake planked, and don't have a tunnel stern. After
      the introduction of engines some builders of Seabright skiffs built boats
      with a slight tunnel in the stern, but so far I haven't seen evidence of
      any with as extreme a tunnel as Wm. A. used on his tunnel-stern,
      round-bilged Seabright skiffs (though that doesn't mean they didn't
      exist). Around 1915 Wm. Atkin invented the V-bottom Seabright skiff,
      marrying the Seabright skiff's box deadwood and wide keel plank to the
      general hull shape of a V-bottom motorboat. The evidence in William's
      published writings is ambiguous about whether this first V-bottom
      Seabright skiff had a tunnel stern or not. Wm. was quite proud of his
      invention, considering it one of the few important original ideas he
      thought up in his career.

      Tolman's tunnel-stern boat isn't an adaptation of a traditional design,
      it's an adaptation of an original idea thought up and perfected by William
      Atkin. <harrumph!>

      On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 12:22:11 -0700, Bob & Lin wrote:

      > I am interested in anyones' experience or opinion on Tolman's adaptation
      > of the Atkin tunnel stern to his skiffs.

      Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.
    • Mike Dolph
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 11, 2008
        Hear, hear, I'll second that and agree in every particular. This
        reminds me of Rudder's letters section a bit; well I've wrote worse.
        A moderate harumpf from me too:-)

        Mike Dolph

        > I got soured on the Tolman tunnel stern boat after reading Ren
        Tolman's
        > article about it in Messing About in Boats. Tolman claims that the
        > V-bottom, tunnel-stern Seabright skiff is a traditional design,
        and
        > doesn't give Wm. Atkin much credit for it. Traditional Seabright
        skiffs
        > are round-bilged, lapstrake planked, and don't have a tunnel stern.
        After
        > the introduction of engines some builders of Seabright skiffs built
        boats
        > with a slight tunnel in the stern, but so far I haven't seen
        evidence of
        > any with as extreme a tunnel as Wm. A. used on his tunnel-stern,
        > round-bilged Seabright skiffs (though that doesn't mean they
        didn't
        > exist). Around 1915 Wm. Atkin invented the V-bottom Seabright
        skiff,
        > marrying the Seabright skiff's box deadwood and wide keel plank to
        the
        > general hull shape of a V-bottom motorboat. The evidence in
        William's
        > published writings is ambiguous about whether this first V-bottom
        > Seabright skiff had a tunnel stern or not. Wm. was quite proud of
        his
        > invention, considering it one of the few important original ideas
        he
        > thought up in his career.
        >
        > Tolman's tunnel-stern boat isn't an adaptation of a traditional
        design,
        > it's an adaptation of an original idea thought up and perfected by
        William
        > Atkin. <harrumph!>
        >
        > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 12:22:11 -0700, Bob & Lin wrote:
        >
        > > I am interested in anyones' experience or opinion on Tolman's
        adaptation
        > > of the Atkin tunnel stern to his skiffs.

        > John <jkohnen@...>
        > Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.

      • Michael Walther
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 12, 2008
          Hi Mike & Group, You my have read what I've written here before and wanted to add that I think this is THE most versital hull bottom ever designed, a product of true genius. It can be used with diesel, gas & electrics greatly improving solar & battery technology as economical, low power options as displacement cruiser or as higher powered & reasonably economical planing boat. With the careful addition of lifting strakes with spray rails even better performance. A real Breakthrough, Particularly in these times of ever increasing fuel prices. William Atkin is boatings unsung and mostly unacknowledged design genius. And that's what I really think. Thanks, Mike

          http://mail.yahoo.com