Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Steam bent frames VS laminated frames

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 10, 2008
      I think that's what I'd do. I'd probably set up the molds and ribbands so
      the outer faces of the ribbands were where the inside faces of the frames
      should be, to lay up the laminated frames _outside_ the ribbands. Twisting
      the laminations into place would be tricky, and cleaning them up after the
      glue hardens, but you wouldn't have to bevel them afterwards.

      On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:50:20 -0700, Adaucto wrote:

      > Also what you think about laminated directly over the ribbands,
      > using some plastic to prevent the frame from gluing the ribband?

      Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so
      dull, so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to
      describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have
      described a day at the seashore. <G. B. Shaw>
    • gordocutter_1
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 12, 2008
        Hi Kohnen! Thank you for your considerations, I think that's the way
        I'll take. In fact the major cause for that is the need to bevel
        them later if I would laminated before put them in their places.
        Doing directly on the ribbands I can get the same result if I did
        with the steam bent frame.

        Adaucto Mello

        > I think that's what I'd do. I'd probably set up the molds and
        ribbands so
        > the outer faces of the ribbands were where the inside faces of the
        frames
        > should be, to lay up the laminated frames _outside_ the ribbands.
        Twisting
        > the laminations into place would be tricky, and cleaning them up
        after the
        > glue hardens, but you wouldn't have to bevel them afterwards.
        >
        > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:50:20 -0700, Adaucto wrote:

        > > Also what you think about laminated directly over the ribbands,
        > > using some plastic to prevent the frame from gluing the ribband?
        >
        > --
        > John <jkohnen@...>
        > Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so
        > dull, so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to
        > describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have
        > described a day at the seashore. <G. B. Shaw>

      • Tom Hesselink
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 12, 2008
          Let me suggest another method for laminating frames. You can take it
          for what you will.

          Get a plastic staple gun from www.raptornails.com (the staples are
          plastic, not the gun) and staple the laminates directly to the inside
          of the rib bands. Of course you had better heavily wax the rib bands
          first but then you will be able to just grind off the protruding
          staples after the epoxy has set and the rib bands removed. The ribs
          can then be faired with regular block planes, spokeshaves and small
          5" grinders (as they most assuredly will need some fairing). You can
          switch back to stainless staples on the inner laminates once the
          staples are not protuding. I would not incorporate fiberglass into
          the laminations as the whole job will be plenty messy already. The
          glass would add some strength but I don't think you need any more
          strength especially if you cold mold or strip plank the hull. By
          using this method you can also easily shift each laminate sideways a
          bit to help keep the beveled frames inline and then grind off the
          steps in the laminates later. It will be much easier if you cut
          beveled laminates for the frames with steep bevels. For a 7/8" thick
          frame I would suggest using about 5 laminates to prevent spring
          back.

          The idea of lofting stations so that frames can be laminated outside
          of the rib bands will make things very difficult as now you have to
          move the stations in about 2 3/8" (figuring 7/8" for the frames and
          1.5" for the rib bands) from what has been already dictated in the
          plans—that is a time consuming and complicated operation. Like I
          said—take it for what you want. This is going to be a challenging
          job no matter how it is done—patience will be a virtue. Good luck,
          Tom

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "gordocutter_1"