Volume VIII Ideal Series

  • lon wells
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19, 2004
      Volume 8 of the Ideal Series is on ebay for $88.00
      with 8 hours left to bid.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29223&item=4204103147&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

      You can see the content over at John's site.

      http://www.boat-links.com/Ideal/VIII.html

      Well John those Ideal Series Books were a better
      investment than the stock market. If you ever develop
      a Bibliphobia (fear of books) or a Hydro-bibliophobia
      (fear of books about water subjects) I will
      imediately come to come to your aid and get those
      scary books away.

      But since there is little chance of that happening in
      this lifetime those books will stay on your shelves
      forever....:)

      Is it a sin to covet thee group members books? :o)
      Lon

      http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 2004
        Just to make you feel worse, I looked in my copy of Volume 8 for the price
        I paid for it: $14.95! :o) And mine looks like it's in better condition...

        I'm afraid I'm probably partly responsible for the high prices the Ideal
        books go for nowadays, because of the exposure I've given them on the 'net
        with my index and the Atkin catalog. <sigh>

        That volume 38 from a library may have been legit. Unfortunately, public
        libraries aren't permanent repositories for information for the ages. They
        are always getting rid of old books to make way for new ones, even though
        the old books may be much better than what's replacing them. :o( That's
        something to think about when you consider what to do with your valued
        book collection when you're gone. The local public library would probably
        just sell most of the books off at their annual book sale, just because
        they're old, or because they think boating readers aren't a big audience.
        <sigh>

        Ebay isn't the only place to find Ideal books, they also turn up through the
        online book search sites (I usually just use ABE):

        http://www.boat-links.com/books/booksearch.html

        On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:40:20 -0700 (PDT), Lon wrote:
        > Volume 8 of the Ideal Series is on ebay for $88.00
        > Is it a sin to covet thee group members books? :o)

        Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless
        they meet two conditions:
        1. He is a Greek
        2. He is a Fisherman <Roy Blount Jr.>
      • craig o'donnell
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19, 2004
          >That volume 38 from a library may have been legit. Unfortunately, public
          >libraries aren't permanent repositories for information for the ages.

          Many years ago, the Wilmington Del Public Library dumpsterized a complete
          collection of THE RUDDER. Dave Carnell told me about this. it cannot hurt,
          if a library has some old books or bound periodicals, to tell the head of
          the library that if they are going to discard them you will take them and
          make a donation to the library.
          --
          Craig O'Donnell
          Sinepuxent Ancestors & Boats

          -- Macintosh kinda guy
          Friend of Wanda the Wonder Cat, 1991-1997.