Rocking Chair plans arrived

  • alan terry
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 16, 2004
      Hi all,

      My plans arrived about a week ago. They were really slow getting
      here, I thought, but maybe the anticipation made time go s l o w !
      When they arrived there was a very nice letter from Mrs. Atkin
      included.
      I like this design more and more. I'm really impressed with the
      elegant simplicity of the design itself and also of the method of
      construction. Love the clean looking inside of the hull brought
      about by the absence of frames and stringers. Nothing is
      superfluous, the whole thing gells together beautifully!
      Next week I'll finalise the purchase of the timber -- nearly 3
      cubic metres for the hull and decks alone!! Got onto a great line of
      seasoned and kiln dried Red Beech from a guy that's shifting his
      logging operation to another place.
      I find it interesting that the cost of the materials for this boat
      is not a heck of a lot more than would be the cost for a building of
      the same size on foundations (not counting the motor, of course).

      alan
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 2004
        I'm glad the plans got to you alright. Mrs. Atkin usually ships plans within
        a week of receiving an order, I don't know what held her up with yours.

        I think that cross-planked, frameless construction is a very elegant way to
        build a boat. It's been used for years and years for workboats on the
        Chesapeake, and elsewhere, so it's well proven. Does this mean you're going
        to build your Rocking Chair out of "real" wood? Might you even be thinking
        of <gasp> building it according to the plans? ;o)

        Good luck with your project!

        On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:19:31 -0000, Alan wrote:
        > I like this design more and more. I'm really impressed with the
        > elegant simplicity of the design itself and also of the method of
        > construction. Love the clean looking inside of the hull brought
        > about by the absence of frames and stringers. Nothing is
        > superfluous, the whole thing gells together beautifully!
        > Next week I'll finalise the purchase of the timber -- nearly 3
        > cubic metres for the hull and decks alone!! Got onto a great line of
        > seasoned and kiln dried Red Beech from a guy that's shifting his
        > logging operation to another place.
        > I find it interesting that the cost of the materials for this boat
        > is not a heck of a lot more than would be the cost for a building of
        > the same size on foundations (not counting the motor, of course).

        School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of human
        existence . They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks, new and unpleasant
        ordinances, brutal violations of common sense and common decency.
        <H. L. Mencken>
      • alan terry
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23, 2004

          Does this mean you're going
          > to build your Rocking Chair out of "real" wood?

          Yes! At one stage I was even considering pressure treated pine (and
          maybe plywood), but along came the opportunity to purchase clear
          grade hardwood at the same price. All of a sudden the project has
          become REALLY exciting. We've just spent the last few days selecting
          and hauling it all to the workshop. It was a lot of fun, picking out
          which bits would go where!

          Might you even be thinking
          > of <gasp> building it according to the plans? ;o)

          Well --- sort of. I really didn't want to build carvel planked, so
          the plan (subject to amendment, if a better idea comes along, of
          course :) is to glue laminate (wood resin composite), using the
          designed scantling dimensions. The timber I bought is sawn at 4x1
          and will dress down to 7 eighths of an inch, so I plan to put one
          layer of this down as shown on the plans, then laminate another
          layer of 3 eighths of an inch diagonally over this to get the design
          hull and deck thickness of 1 and a quarter inches. I figure this is
          probably over-building, strength-wise, but the weight factors should
          approximate design.
          I'm keen for the general appearance to be close to design, but there
          are a couple of possible alterations at the back of my mind, still
          fermenting:
          1. Putting the motor in a well in the aft deck, and
          2. Raising the fore-deck to the height of the gunwales.

          > Good luck with your project!

          Thanks! By-the-way, a strange thing is happening! I'm really amazed
          at the number of people who respond with "Oh!, I was going to do
          that" or "I wanted to do that" or "I had that idea" or "What a GREAT
          idea!" when they learn about this project. I never realized so many
          people had a fantasy about having a home on the water!

          Any comments/suggestions would be more than welcome!

          Alan Terry