Rescue Minor load capacity

  • nsimms
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4 2:20 PM
      Anybody have a feel for what the load capacity of a Rescue Minor is,
      as typically configured with a 3cyl 20hp Kubota? I need a boat with
      upwards of 1K lbs load capacity, and wonder if I would have to go with
      something like Shoals Runner instead?

      Thanks!

      Neil S.
    • Ronald Fossum
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5 11:19 AM
        In an article/letter, Robb White (whose version of "Rescue Minor" was about 200# underweight) mentioned using his RM to take 10 squares of roofing material from mainland to his home in one trip. This would be slightly in excess of 2000 pounds weight. Using Carlson Design for this simple program, the Atkin Rescue Minor draws about 12-1/2" of water. Robb noted that she was slow in the water, but still very stable and rode any swells well. I would stay with the Rescue Minor design. At normal load (two adults) the chine from amidships to aft is barely touching the water, indicating a lot of reserve buoyancy. Shoals Runner on the other hand, already has her chine 5" underwater at normal load.

        Ron Fossum

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5 12:22 PM
          I am interested in anyones' experience or opinion on Tolman's adaptation of
          the Atkin tunnel stern to his skiffs.
          It is compelling and the S&G Tolman skiffs seem well received by Alaskans.
          http://www.alaska.net/~tolmanskiffs/index.html
          *Bob*
          On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 2:19 PM, Ronald Fossum <artemis@...> wrote:

          > In an article/letter, Robb White (whose version of "Rescue Minor" was
          > about 200# underweight) mentioned using his RM to take 10 squares of roofing
          > material from mainland to his home in one trip. This would be slightly in
          > excess of 2000 pounds weight. Using Carlson Design for this simple program,
          > the Atkin Rescue Minor draws about 12-1/2" of water. Robb noted that she was
          > slow in the water, but still very stable and rode any swells well. I would
          > stay with the Rescue Minor design. At normal load (two adults) the chine
          > from amidships to aft is barely touching the water, indicating a lot of
          > reserve buoyancy. Shoals Runner on the other hand, already has her chine 5"
          > underwater at normal load.
          >
          > Ron Fossum

          I'll keep looking for the haystack, 'cause when I look in Linda's eyes
          The thought there is a needle, makes it worth a thousand tries...

        • michawalth3
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 6 1:55 AM
            Hi Neil and Group, In WoodenBoat mag. March/April 06 #189 an article
            by an experienced, creative, professional boat builder of high repute:
            Robb White built a Rescue Minor. He said in the article and I quote,
            "When the boat is really loaded down (it will haul all the roofing for
            a 1,000sqft house in one load) it will still plane real well and the
            engine will burn the same amount of fuel." (meaning normal amount of
            fuel) He says, "A little less than a half a gallon an hour at any
            speed." There was no mention of weight, but I would imagine your load
            requirements can be handled well.
            He said his boat was a little bit larger & that his 18hp
            Kubota diesel was plenty of power. It seems he can't say enough good
            stuff about the boat. My opinion is this is the better boat.
            Thanks, Mike
          • Kenneth Grome
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 6 4:27 AM
              > I am interested in anyones' experience
              > or opinion on Tolman's adaptation of
              > the Atkin tunnel stern to his skiffs.

              Renn's hull is built but not in the water yet. So is mine. No others
              have been built that I know of, so it is still "up in the air" whether
              or not his version of this boat is actually going to perform well or
              not.

              One thing is for sure, it's a lot heavier than Robb White's version of
              Rescue Minor.

              Sincerely,
              Ken Grome
              Bagacay Boatworks
              www.bagacayboatworks.com
            • Bob & Lin
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 6 5:21 AM
                Well, Get Cracking then!
                Not a moment to lose!

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 10 8:01 PM
                  I got soured on the Tolman tunnel stern boat after reading Ren Tolman's
                  article about it in Messing About in Boats. Tolman claims that the
                  V-bottom, tunnel-stern Seabright skiff is a traditional design, and
                  doesn't give Wm. Atkin much credit for it. Traditional Seabright skiffs
                  are round-bilged, lapstrake planked, and don't have a tunnel stern. After
                  the introduction of engines some builders of Seabright skiffs built boats
                  with a slight tunnel in the stern, but so far I haven't seen evidence of
                  any with as extreme a tunnel as Wm. A. used on his tunnel-stern,
                  round-bilged Seabright skiffs (though that doesn't mean they didn't
                  exist). Around 1915 Wm. Atkin invented the V-bottom Seabright skiff,
                  marrying the Seabright skiff's box deadwood and wide keel plank to the
                  general hull shape of a V-bottom motorboat. The evidence in William's
                  published writings is ambiguous about whether this first V-bottom
                  Seabright skiff had a tunnel stern or not. Wm. was quite proud of his
                  invention, considering it one of the few important original ideas he
                  thought up in his career.

                  Tolman's tunnel-stern boat isn't an adaptation of a traditional design,
                  it's an adaptation of an original idea thought up and perfected by William
                  Atkin. <harrumph!>

                  On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 12:22:11 -0700, Bob & Lin wrote:

                  > I am interested in anyones' experience or opinion on Tolman's adaptation
                  > of the Atkin tunnel stern to his skiffs.

                  Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.
                • Mike Dolph
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 11 2:59 PM
                    Hear, hear, I'll second that and agree in every particular. This
                    reminds me of Rudder's letters section a bit; well I've wrote worse.
                    A moderate harumpf from me too:-)

                    Mike Dolph

                    > I got soured on the Tolman tunnel stern boat after reading Ren
                    Tolman's
                    > article about it in Messing About in Boats. Tolman claims that the
                    > V-bottom, tunnel-stern Seabright skiff is a traditional design,
                    and
                    > doesn't give Wm. Atkin much credit for it. Traditional Seabright
                    skiffs
                    > are round-bilged, lapstrake planked, and don't have a tunnel stern.
                    After
                    > the introduction of engines some builders of Seabright skiffs built
                    boats
                    > with a slight tunnel in the stern, but so far I haven't seen
                    evidence of
                    > any with as extreme a tunnel as Wm. A. used on his tunnel-stern,
                    > round-bilged Seabright skiffs (though that doesn't mean they
                    didn't
                    > exist). Around 1915 Wm. Atkin invented the V-bottom Seabright
                    skiff,
                    > marrying the Seabright skiff's box deadwood and wide keel plank to
                    the
                    > general hull shape of a V-bottom motorboat. The evidence in
                    William's
                    > published writings is ambiguous about whether this first V-bottom
                    > Seabright skiff had a tunnel stern or not. Wm. was quite proud of
                    his
                    > invention, considering it one of the few important original ideas
                    he
                    > thought up in his career.
                    >
                    > Tolman's tunnel-stern boat isn't an adaptation of a traditional
                    design,
                    > it's an adaptation of an original idea thought up and perfected by
                    William
                    > Atkin. <harrumph!>
                    >
                    > On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 12:22:11 -0700, Bob & Lin wrote:
                    >
                    > > I am interested in anyones' experience or opinion on Tolman's
                    adaptation
                    > > of the Atkin tunnel stern to his skiffs.

                    > John <jkohnen@...>
                    > Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.

                  • Michael Walther
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 12 2:01 AM
                      Hi Mike & Group, You my have read what I've written here before and wanted to add that I think this is THE most versital hull bottom ever designed, a product of true genius. It can be used with diesel, gas & electrics greatly improving solar & battery technology as economical, low power options as displacement cruiser or as higher powered & reasonably economical planing boat. With the careful addition of lifting strakes with spray rails even better performance. A real Breakthrough, Particularly in these times of ever increasing fuel prices. William Atkin is boatings unsung and mostly unacknowledged design genius. And that's what I really think. Thanks, Mike

                      http://mail.yahoo.com