Re: [AtkinBoats] Alternative Building Methods

  • Len Schmitt
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 4, 2008
      I am building a Spermacetti ( another Atkins Sea Bright skiff) using Reuel Parker's Cold molded Boatbuilding. I have'nt yet figured out how to marry the hull to the box keel yet, but with the warmer weather coming I hope to come up with something soon.

      Len Schmitt

      Alan Boman <alan@...> wrote:
      I am about to build a River Belle and have been persuaded to use "Stitch and
      Glue" method with plywood instead of sawn frames & planks.

      Has anyone any thoughts or better still experience ?

      Alan

    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2008
        If you're building them separately I might suggest 2-3 layers of biaxial
        tape embedded in epoxy ... a stitch and glue joint. This is how the
        tunnel stern panels are held together on my Tolman Seabright skiff.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com

        > I am building a Spermacetti ( another Atkins Sea Bright skiff) using
        > Reuel Parker's Cold molded Boatbuilding. I have'nt yet figured out
        > how to marry the hull to the box keel yet, but with the warmer
        > weather coming I hope to come up with something soon.
      • Michael Walther
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 13, 2008
          Hi Alan, Researching something else, I just now came across this @ Devlin's Boatbuilding: How to Build Any Boat the Stitch-and-Glue Way or @ http://www.devlinboat.com/ wish I'd thought of & found it sooner for you. You might say he the "King of Stitch and Glue". Good luck & don't forget to post progress reports with pix (I like pix:)) Thanks, Mike

          I am about to build a River Belle and have been persuaded to use "Stitch and

          Glue" method with plywood instead of sawn frames & planks.

          Has anyone any thoughts or better still experience ?

          Alan

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Alan Boman
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 16, 2008
            Hi Mike,

            Have located "How to Build Any Boat the Stitch & Glue Way" at Amazon and
            have ordered a copy - thanks for the info.

            Will let you (& group) know what it's like when I've had a read.

            Cheers

            Alan

            --- On Tue, 4/1/08, Alan Boman <alan@... <mailto:alan%40boman.com> >

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 16, 2008
              Hey Alan, Just found your message, glad it (info) might be helpful, hope so. Thanks for your response and hoping it's a good read & you enjoy it. I am looking forward to your critique as well. Enjoy, Mike
              Ps. This is my third attempt due to Yahoo screw ups. If this ends up as repeat, I apologize. And again, Enjoy, Mike

              > Have located "How to Build Any Boat the Stitch &
              > Glue Way" at Amazon and
              > have ordered a copy - thanks for the info.
              >

              > Will let you (& group) know what it's like when
              > I've had a read.
              >

              > Cheers
              >

              > Alan

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • Alan Boman
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 20, 2009
                Hi Guys,

                I'm building a "River Belle" 36' Tunnel Stern river boat, and I just put the
                last piece of the bottom in place and thought you might like a photo.

                There is still a looooong way to go but it's nice to see a 65 year old
                design coming into being; it's like a piece of history being resurrected
                out of the mist. Mr William never intended this design for plywood & epoxy
                (obviously), but the panels sit on the curves very nicely. A complement to
                a lovely design.

                There are more pictures and a log of construction to date at
                "riverbelle.boman.biz" if you are interested in more detail.

                Alan

                South Australia

              • Sgt Sak
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 21, 2009
                  Outstanding!!!, that is the design I am interested in building. I am currently building the garage that I will build the boat in. I am really grateful for the pictures. I gives me an idea of the scale of the project.
                  Regards
                  Phil
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 26, 2009
                    Looks good Alan! I'm pleased to see that on your Web page you mention that
                    your boat was "inspired by" Wm. Atkin's design. I suppose this is a good
                    time to remind people that when they alter an Atkin design, it becomes
                    their design, not an Atkin boat, and the Atkins can't be blamed for any
                    peculiarities in the performance. But your boat looks good so far, Alan,
                    and I hope it works out well for you.

                    On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:41:52 -0700, Alan B wrote:

                    > I'm building a "River Belle" 36' Tunnel Stern river boat, and I just put
                    > the
                    > last piece of the bottom in place and thought you might like a photo.
                    > There are more pictures and a log of construction to date at
                    > "riverbelle.boman.biz" if you are interested in more detail.

                    The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
                    of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
                    blood. <Logan Pearsall Smith>
                  • Alan Boman
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 26, 2009
                      Hi John,

                      Your absolutely right. Although the changes I have made to Mr William's
                      design are very minor, they have been very carefully thought about and are
                      my responsibility.

                      Below the waterline, the prop shaft angle is flattened a bit because I have
                      moved the engine forward and I have also offset the engine to Starboard
                      instead on Port because of its direction of rotation, and that's it.

                      Above the chine, I have changed the flat planked sides to curved clinker
                      with a raised sheer because it better suits frameless plywood construction.

                      We'll see how it works out.

                      Cheers

                      Alan