Re: Shaft angle

  • Tom Hesselink
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4 2:00 PM
      Alan, The first question is why do you want to lower the shaft
      angle? Is it to get the motor under the cabin sole? That seems
      unlikely from what sketchs I can see on the web. Once the motor
      pojects into the cabin- it usually dosent matter how high it is--it
      will be in the way no matter what. If the boat did not have a
      tunnel, I would have no problem lowering the shaft angle in a slow
      speed craft--but in this case I would hesitate to change it by very
      much. The River Belle already has a very shallow shaft angle--I
      don't think you will gain much if any efficiency by lowering it more
      but doing so may throw off the performance of the tunnel. Good luck,
      Tom

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

      > Hi Folks,
      >

      > The propeller shaft in River Belle has an upward angle of about
      6°.

      > It would be convenient to have that nearer horizontal – does anyone
      have any
      > thoughts about what effect that change might have? (Remembering
      Atkin's
      > instructions about not changing anything!)
      >

      > Cheers
      >

      > Alan

    • Alan Boman
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7 1:34 AM
        Tom,

        Yes, you are right the aim is to lower the cabin sole. I am proposing to
        raise the sole (floor) level for a fair proportion of the length of the hull
        to create an aft saloon, and that requires the engine to be under the floor
        and the floor flat.

        The engine already has the sump (pan) and oil pump pickup modified so that
        it is very low profile, and that would allow me to reduce its highest point
        by 8 inches, which becomes significant – I’m just not sure if Mr William is
        rolling in his grave at the suggestion or not………

        Actually, I’m getting the sense that as my first tunnel stern, it may be
        better to leave the hull design well alone……………

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,