Re: Shaft angle

  • sals_dad
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
      > > The propeller shaft in River Belle has an upward
      > > angle of about 6°. It would be convenient to have
      > > that nearer horizontal - does anyone have any
      > > thoughts about what effect that change might have?
      >
      > Atkin probably raised the forward end because he may not have been
      able
      > to install a truly horizontal shaft when using the engine /
      > transmission he specified. This is my guess anyways.

      That would be my guess, as well. I am still struggling with how to get
      a horizontal shaft in Rescue Minor. The Kubota is just perched too
      high up on its oil pan.

      But, that said, be careful messing with the geometry - Atkin probably
      took the angle into account when desingning the hull and tunnel.

      Sal's Dad
    • Tom Hesselink
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
        Alan, The first question is why do you want to lower the shaft
        angle? Is it to get the motor under the cabin sole? That seems
        unlikely from what sketchs I can see on the web. Once the motor
        pojects into the cabin- it usually dosent matter how high it is--it
        will be in the way no matter what. If the boat did not have a
        tunnel, I would have no problem lowering the shaft angle in a slow
        speed craft--but in this case I would hesitate to change it by very
        much. The River Belle already has a very shallow shaft angle--I
        don't think you will gain much if any efficiency by lowering it more
        but doing so may throw off the performance of the tunnel. Good luck,
        Tom

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        >

        > The propeller shaft in River Belle has an upward angle of about
        6°.

        > It would be convenient to have that nearer horizontal – does anyone
        have any
        > thoughts about what effect that change might have? (Remembering
        Atkin's
        > instructions about not changing anything!)
        >

        > Cheers
        >

        > Alan

      • Alan Boman
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 7, 2008
          Tom,

          Yes, you are right the aim is to lower the cabin sole. I am proposing to
          raise the sole (floor) level for a fair proportion of the length of the hull
          to create an aft saloon, and that requires the engine to be under the floor
          and the floor flat.

          The engine already has the sump (pan) and oil pump pickup modified so that
          it is very low profile, and that would allow me to reduce its highest point
          by 8 inches, which becomes significant – I’m just not sure if Mr William is
          rolling in his grave at the suggestion or not………

          Actually, I’m getting the sense that as my first tunnel stern, it may be
          better to leave the hull design well alone……………

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,