Shaft angle

  • Alan Boman
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hi Folks,

      The propeller shaft in River Belle has an upward angle of about 6°.

      It would be convenient to have that nearer horizontal – does anyone have any
      thoughts about what effect that change might have? (Remembering Atkin’s
      instructions about not changing anything!)

      Cheers

      Alan

    • Ronald Fossum

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
          > The propeller shaft in River Belle has an upward
          > angle of about 6°. It would be convenient to have
          > that nearer horizontal - does anyone have any
          > thoughts about what effect that change might have?

          It will more than likely create a more efficient propulsion system. The
          nearer to horizontal the shaft, the more efficient the propulsion
          system.

          Atkin probably raised the forward end because he may not have been able
          to install a truly horizontal shaft when using the engine /
          transmission he specified. This is my guess anyways.

          Sincerely,
          Ken Grome
          Bagacay Boatworks
          www.bagacayboatworks.com
        • sals_dad
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
            > > The propeller shaft in River Belle has an upward
            > > angle of about 6°. It would be convenient to have
            > > that nearer horizontal - does anyone have any
            > > thoughts about what effect that change might have?
            >
            > Atkin probably raised the forward end because he may not have been
            able
            > to install a truly horizontal shaft when using the engine /
            > transmission he specified. This is my guess anyways.

            That would be my guess, as well. I am still struggling with how to get
            a horizontal shaft in Rescue Minor. The Kubota is just perched too
            high up on its oil pan.

            But, that said, be careful messing with the geometry - Atkin probably
            took the angle into account when desingning the hull and tunnel.

            Sal's Dad
          • Tom Hesselink
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
              Alan, The first question is why do you want to lower the shaft
              angle? Is it to get the motor under the cabin sole? That seems
              unlikely from what sketchs I can see on the web. Once the motor
              pojects into the cabin- it usually dosent matter how high it is--it
              will be in the way no matter what. If the boat did not have a
              tunnel, I would have no problem lowering the shaft angle in a slow
              speed craft--but in this case I would hesitate to change it by very
              much. The River Belle already has a very shallow shaft angle--I
              don't think you will gain much if any efficiency by lowering it more
              but doing so may throw off the performance of the tunnel. Good luck,
              Tom

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

              > Hi Folks,
              >

              > The propeller shaft in River Belle has an upward angle of about
              6°.

              > It would be convenient to have that nearer horizontal – does anyone
              have any
              > thoughts about what effect that change might have? (Remembering
              Atkin's
              > instructions about not changing anything!)
              >

              > Cheers
              >

              > Alan

            • Alan Boman
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7, 2008
                Tom,

                Yes, you are right the aim is to lower the cabin sole. I am proposing to
                raise the sole (floor) level for a fair proportion of the length of the hull
                to create an aft saloon, and that requires the engine to be under the floor
                and the floor flat.

                The engine already has the sump (pan) and oil pump pickup modified so that
                it is very low profile, and that would allow me to reduce its highest point
                by 8 inches, which becomes significant – I’m just not sure if Mr William is
                rolling in his grave at the suggestion or not………

                Actually, I’m getting the sense that as my first tunnel stern, it may be
                better to leave the hull design well alone……………

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro <mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com> ups.com,