Re: [AtkinBoats] Steam bent frames VS laminated frames

  • George C
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2008
      Another reason for keeping the frames on a cold-molded hull is for appearance. The laminated frames keep a traditional look on a traditional design!

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
        Hello Mike! How is the trip here in Brazil? Hope you're enjoying it!
        I'm starting to accept what you saying about the frames, and I'm
        going to stick with the laminated one, although I would like to make
        the traditional way, its really a challenge here in Brazil to make
        this kind of construction, and with the laminated I can choose in a
        lager list, what kind of wood I can use. Thanks again for all the
        support that you're provide me with, and the quality of info that
        you give came to be very handful for me.
        To overcome the problem of spring back of the lamination I thinking
        in put a light part of fiberglass between the veneers what you think
        about it? Maybe this stop the spring back, and will add some
        resistance.
        Thanks .

        Adaucto.

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...>
        wrote:

        > I've been talking with Gordocutter on a Brasilian Yahoo list and I
        > think what he needs to make a decision is scantlings and framing
        > details for laminated frames and strip planking. There is at least
        > one Brazilian hardwood that rivals green white oak for steam
        bending
        > but the lines of Maid of Endor require some pretty radical
        bending. I
        > have seen Ipe bent in large sizes for planking (on film)and I
        suspect
        > in the 1/2'' or so size that would be used for a twenty footer it
        > could be used this way. How ever it would be a learning experience
        > for a master builder in Brazil and GordoCutter might be better off
        > with the more modern fiberglass clad strip planking. Let some
        master
        > builder do it the old fashioned way for the "Woodenboat" (TM)
        crowd.
        > It's not that he doesn't feel the urge to build the traditonal
        way; he
        > has said he would like too but it's really too big a challenge for
        an
        > amateur.
        >
        > I know of one downloadable book that covers some of the
        differences in
        > framing for steam bent and frames from futtocks, the term escapes
        me
        > for the moment. That book was a course book for wooden boat
        builders
        > in the 1920's, it's
        >
        > "A Practical Course in Wooden Boat and Ship Building" by Richard M.
        > Van Gaasbeek and it's downloadable through Google Book Search (set
        > full view) to make it easy to find. Google Book Search and some of
        > these great old titles really ought to be in the files section
        here;
        > it seems very likely that fully downloadable gems like this will
        > continue to be found. Another good one is "Small Boat Building" by
        > Patterson also from the 1920's only most of the illustrations on
        that
        > one are lost because they were fold outs and weren't scanned.
        >
        > Does anyone have scantling tables and framing and backbone details
        > that would work for Maid of Endor?
        >
        > Mike Dolph
        >
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "gordocutter_1" <gordocutter_1@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I would like to start a discursion about steam bent frames
        versus
        > > laminated frames, what are the advantages and disadvantages of
        each.
        > > For example, the plans of the Maid of Endor are specified for
        planking
        > > over steam bent frames, but the plans are of 1953 and in this
        decade
        > > the epoxi system didn't exist yet, but I think it would
        probably be
        > > the choose of Sr. Atkins for the plans, sadly we'll never now.
        > > I'm fight with this impasse now, because I'm looking for
        Brazilian
        > > woods that can substitute the woods specified in the plans, but
        if I
        > > choose the steam bent frames the woods will be different from
        those
        > > used for laminated frames.
        > > I give now the words for you, Sirs.

      • gordocutter_1
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
          Hi there Don! Thanks for the tips, your plans are very similar to
          the Maid of Endor, the frames are also 7/8" x 7/8", and they are 9
          1/4'' centers but I'm thinking in doing all of them, with the same
          centers and with laminated frames, like I was saying to Mike, I
          would like to build with steam bent frames but it's a "little" to
          hard for me, for the spring back problem somebody in Brazil of
          another group of boat builders has told me that you could overcome
          this problem by putting long and thin parts of fiberglass between
          the veneers, that could also add some resistance to the frame, what
          you think about it?
          Also what you think about laminated directly over the ribbands,
          using some plastic to prevent the frame from gluing the ribband?

          Cheers
          Adaucto

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Don Douglas" <douglashome@...>
          wrote:

          > From my reading on boatbuilding and the discussion of laminated
          members versus saw or steam-bent frames I think you would be fine
          keeping the scantlings the same as they are now. Especially on a
          desing like Maid of Endor. On Perigee, John Atkin redrew the lines
          for strip planking and changed the framing from full steam bent
          frames on 9" centers to half frames on 30" centers.

> [...]
          that strip planking can eliminate or reduce the need for frames.
          The nailing together of the planks and the covering of the outside
          with laminate and epoxy does wonders for strengthing the hull
          structure as a whole. So my bottom line idea is to laminate my
          frames from molds made from the lofting. There will be 5 layers to
          make up the 7/8" final thickness. Once the frames are removed from
          the molds they will spring back some but this should not be a
          problem when I fit them. There will by main molds and ribbands
          setup so the frames should spring back to the designed shape very
          closely. Or that is what I plan. Then once the strip planks start
          going on the frames should pull up tightly to the planks nicely.

          > Well that is my essay for the night. My wife is wondering why I
          am not watching "Dancing With The Stars"!

        • gordocutter_1
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
            Hi George ! I also made the same google search for find some site of
            the builder but all that I found was that address, didn't help me
            very much cause it doesn't have even a phone number, even if it was
            he is in England so… the phone bill would be astronomic.
            But I was very interest by the book that you wrote about, and I'm
            about to search it now, thanks very much.

            Adaucto

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, George C <glcost2@...> wrote:

            > The Robelia was built by a professional in the UK. He used 1/2"
            strip planking with one 3mm veneer lamination and 2 layers of glass.
            Not sure on the size of frames, but the photos in the article do
            give a relative idea. Maybe Gordocutter can contact the builder to
            get more details. I did a quick google search and found this address.

            > EUAN SEEL MARINE SURVEYS LIMITED
            > 1 Alton Green, Lower Holbrook, Ipswich,
            > Suffolk United Kingdom
            >
            > If Gordocutter is interested in cold-molding, there is a book by
            Reuel Parker called The New Cold-Molded Boatbuilding from lofting to
            launch. There is a chapter on choosing a design and adapting a
            design. It might help in making some decisions. Here's a link to it:

            > http://tinyurl.com/344ffm
            >
            > George

            align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
            > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            > font-weight:bold;}
            > #ygrp-vital a{
            > text-decoration:none;}
            >
            > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            > text-decoration:underline;}
            >
            > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            > #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
            > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            > padding:8px 0;}
            > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            size:100%;line-height:122%;}
            > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            > text-decoration:none;}
            > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            > text-decoration:underline;}
            > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            > margin:0;}
            > o{font-size:0;}
            > .MsoNormal{
            > margin:0 0 0 0;}
            > #ygrp-text tt{
            > font-size:120%;}
            > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            > .replbq{margin:4;}
            > -->

          • gordocutter_1
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
              Hi!Yes I read the two articles, They are very interested, I'm now
              thinking in building with laminated frames.

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
                Gordocutter,

                The tinyurl link below will take you to the book. There are many pages that you can read.
                http://tinyurl.com/344ffm

                George

                Hi George ! I also made the same google search for find some site of
                the builder but all that I found was that address, didn't help me
                very much cause it doesn't have even a phone number, even if it was
                he is in England so� the phone bill would be astronomic.
                But I was very interest by the book that you wrote about, and I'm
                about to search it now, thanks very much.

                Adaucto

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro ups.com, George C <glcost2@... > wrote:

                > The Robelia was built by a professional in the UK. He used 1/2"
                strip planking with one 3mm veneer lamination and 2 layers of glass.
                Not sure on the size of frames, but the photos in the article do
                give a relative idea. Maybe Gordocutter can contact the builder to
                get more details. I did a quick google search and found this address.

                > EUAN SEEL MARINE SURVEYS LIMITED
                > 1 Alton Green, Lower Holbrook, Ipswich,
                > Suffolk United Kingdom
                >
                > If Gordocutter is interested in cold-molding, there is a book by
                Reuel Parker called The New Cold-Molded Boatbuilding from lofting to
                launch. There is a chapter on choosing a design and adapting a
                design. It might help in making some decisions. Here's a link to it:

                > http://tinyurl. com/344ffm
                >
                > George

                <!--

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Gordocutter,

                  At the bottom the article (don't remember which one), there is an email address for the owner of the Robelia. May you can email him with questions.

                  George

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 3, 2008
                    There is? I didn't notice! Will check right now, don't now how this
                    pass by me, thanks!

                  • Mike Dolph
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 3, 2008
                      Unfortunately I was back from Brasil September 1, 2006; that was as
                      long as I could stay on a tourist visa with one extension. My former
                      marriage to a Brazilian and the fact that one of my kids was born
                      there did not quite allow me to take up permanent residency after so
                      many years out of the country. Now I am back the economy and my
                      income are walking hand in hand at new lows and I don't anticipate
                      being able to go back soon. I would say that either way will be more
                      than strong enough, especially if you plan to duplicate all the
                      frames and structural members John Atkins specified.

                      I'm really happy that you can see a way forward now. I still have
                      some reservations about Eucalyptus as a boat building wood but there
                      are many kinds of eucalyptus so we are very likely talking about
                      different woods.

                      I always enjoy Brasil, even when I am far away and only in touch by
                      discussion groups and email. In a lot of ways it was the country of
                      my youth and I feel like a dual citizen even if I am not officially.

                      Check out my page at myspace myspace.com/mikedolph

                      I have some pictures there from my trip. I'll be around both here
                      and at hovercraft e veleiros if I can be of any help.

                      <gordocutter_1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      <gordocutter_1@>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I would like to start a discursion about steam bent frames
                      > versus
                      > > > laminated frames, what are the advantages and disadvantages of
                      > each.
                      > > > For example, the plans of the Maid of Endor are specified for
                      > planking
                      > > > over steam bent frames, but the plans are of 1953 and in this
                      > decade
                      > > > the epoxi system didn't exist yet, but I think it would
                      > probably be
                      > > > the choose of Sr. Atkins for the plans, sadly we'll never now.
                      > > > I'm fight with this impasse now, because I'm looking for
                      > Brazilian
                      > > > woods that can substitute the woods specified in the plans, but
                      > if I
                      > > > choose the steam bent frames the woods will be different from

                    • Don Douglas
                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 3, 2008
                        Aduacto,

                        I have no idea about laminating some fiberglass in between the wood pieces. This might be a good experiment and I will add that to my list of ideas to try. Do you put a layer of fiberglass between each layer of wood? And do the fiberglass layers show in the final laminate? I would suspect so but don't know what that would look like if you are going to keep the frames finished bright. Another question for you: What weight of cloth are they using between the wood layers?

                        Presently I have all the lead I need for the keel but have not gotten the lofting down to something I am happy with. Each time I draw the lines and sections I get something different. Repaint and try again. I am trying to decipher the Delftship lofting program to fair up the lines but that is almost more work than just drawing and correcting. It is a good program and free, but it required everything to get converted to meters first and the table of offsets format is very different from how it was done 75 years ago. I did make a 4' tapered birds-mouth spar section to see how to do that. Came out OK and I learned a lot before I have to make the 19' mast that tapers at both ends. The www.duckworksmagazine.com site has all the details on how to do that. I am also making some rope-stropped wooden blocks now to keep me busy until the weather warms up. Snowed again today in Colorado Springs.

                        As for trying to laminate frames inside the ribbands, this seems to be more trouble than steam bending. You would have to glue the strips together and bring the messy bundle inside the ribbands, line them up and clamp it up. I plan on using the stations as mold patterns and before I set the molds on the keel, they will be used to laminate the frames. The stations are on 18" centers so that would eliminate half of the original frames. I will have to incorporate the actual floors in the molds to make this work, that is what screws are for! If I keep each one on the narrow side of the mold and let them overhang some, then I can plane them down to the correct bevel after the molds are positioned and the ribbands start to go on. I don't think that a 7/8" frame is going to be hard to plane down even if I use white oak. I keep my planes and spokeshaves sharp.

                        Anyway that's the plan
                        Don Douglas

                      • Mike Dolph
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 4, 2008
                          Douglas,

                          I don't want to claim the experience of even an amateur who has built
                          a boat much less a professional so consider all my comments with this
                          in mind.

                          I don't remember having read of a strict order for considering lines
                          in lofting corrections but on giving it some thought I would try this
                          and call it my best effort. I'd fair all the initial lines such as
                          sheer, keel, profile and plan lines the architect would have done
                          first. Then an architect would draw in three stations of
                          approximately the displacement he wants but I would give emphasis to
                          diagonals in lofting since he would have gone through several
                          iterations of that to get his drawings and what I mainly want to
                          achieve is a smooth, surface for planking and waterflow. Once
                          diagonals were fair, I'd work the changes into the stations trying to
                          leave the sheer and keel alone and, if at all possible, the rabbet as
                          drawn. This seems to me to make the boat fair and doable with the
                          least necessary changes to the architects intent.

                          This describes more changes than you would probably actually have to
                          decide on. I would certainly like to hear yours or anyone else's
                          priorities in lofting as well. In the end you have to decide, since
                          the Atkin's aren't there it's up to you to "skin this cat".

                          Mike Dolph

                          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Don Douglas" <douglashome@...> wrote:

                          > Aduacto,
                          >

                          > Presently I have all the lead I need for the keel but have not
                          gotten the lofting down to something I am happy with. Each time I
                          draw the lines and sections I get something different. Repaint and
                          try again. I am trying to decipher the Delftship lofting program to
                          fair up the lines but that is almost more work than just drawing and
                          correcting. It is a good program and free, but it required everything
                          to get converted to meters first and the table of offsets format is
                          very different from how it was done 75 years ago.
                          > Don Douglas

                        • Tim & Kris
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 4, 2008
                            A few comments:

                            1.) A properly laminated frame is about 3/4 again stronger than a
                            similarly dimensioned steam bent frame of the same material.

                            2.) Watch what you use; both adhesives and wood. High oil content wood
                            or wood with tyloses (i.e. teak, ipe, or white oak) don't laminate
                            correctly unless it's done in a very controlled manner, and even then
                            it's up for debate. Your adhesive choices are pretty much epoxy,
                            resourcinal, or Polyurethane (non-foaming).

                            3.) Lofting a boat where the table of offsets was derived from the
                            drawings is a bit of a best fit exercise. Use good battens and work
                            for the fairest line and you should be okay.

                            4.) If your planning on cold molding, the frames are pretty much there
                            for show when it's all said and done. I don't think this is
                            necessarily a bad thing as having a hull be too strong is okay with
                            me, and the interior room lost is minimal.

                            Tim

                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...> wrote:

                            > Douglas,
                            >
                            > I don't want to claim the experience of even an amateur who has built
                            > a boat much less a professional so consider all my comments with this
                            > in mind.
                            >
                            > I don't remember having read of a strict order for considering lines
                            > in lofting corrections but on giving it some thought I would try this
                            > and call it my best effort. I'd fair all the initial lines such as
                            > sheer, keel, profile and plan lines the architect would have done
                            > first. Then an architect would draw in three stations of
                            > approximately the displacement he wants but I would give emphasis to
                            > diagonals in lofting since he would have gone through several
                            > iterations of that to get his drawings and what I mainly want to
                            > achieve is a smooth, surface for planking and waterflow. Once
                            > diagonals were fair, I'd work the changes into the stations trying to
                            > leave the sheer and keel alone and, if at all possible, the rabbet as
                            > drawn. This seems to me to make the boat fair and doable with the
                            > least necessary changes to the architects intent.
                            >
                            > This describes more changes than you would probably actually have to
                            > decide on. I would certainly like to hear yours or anyone else's
                            > priorities in lofting as well. In the end you have to decide, since
                            > the Atkin's aren't there it's up to you to "skin this cat".
                            >
                            > Mike Dolph
                            >
                            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Don Douglas" <douglashome@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Aduacto,
                            > >

                            > > Presently I have all the lead I need for the keel but have not
                            > gotten the lofting down to something I am happy with. Each time I
                            > draw the lines and sections I get something different. Repaint and
                            > try again. I am trying to decipher the Delftship lofting program to
                            > fair up the lines but that is almost more work than just drawing and
                            > correcting. It is a good program and free, but it required everything
                            > to get converted to meters first and the table of offsets format is
                            > very different from how it was done 75 years ago.
                            > > Don Douglas

                          • gordocutter_1
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 8, 2008
                              Hi Douglas! Sorry for taking so long to answer you, I needed to
                              solve some problems, and I was trying to contact the guy ho told me
                              about the laminated technique, and ask him about your questions,
                              still didn't get a answer. Sadly I can not answer your questions
                              about the weight of the cloth, or how it would look like the ended
                              product, but I do have some clues about it:
                              The frames are thin so, I suspect that they don't need too much
                              strength to hold the spring back, I was thinking that one layer of
                              fiberglass between four layers of wood can be enough to hold them, I
                              think that the strength of the epoxi combine with the one layer of
                              fiber can do the job properly, and if its stay between two layers
                              of wood it would not be very visualize in the final product .
                              For example four layers off wood with 3/16" and one layer between
                              them of 1/8" fiberglass. That is how I think would work. If you put
                              a layer of fiber between each layer of wood you would have to reduce
                              the thickness of the wood in order to get the same dimensions of the
                              frame (7/8") and the fiberglass would be more visualize if you do
                              that way. When I get the answer of the guy that told me the tip, I
                              keep you informed.

                              wrote:

                              > Aduacto,
                              >
                              > I have no idea about laminating some fiberglass in between the
                              wood pieces. This might be a good experiment and I will add that to
                              my list of ideas to try. Do you put a layer of fiberglass between
                              each layer of wood? And do the fiberglass layers show in the final
                              laminate? I would suspect so but don't know what that would look
                              like if you are going to keep the frames finished bright. Another
                              question for you: What weight of cloth are they using between the
                              wood layers?

                              > Presently I have all the lead I need for the keel but have not
                              gotten the lofting down to something I am happy with. Each time I
                              draw the lines and sections I get something different. Repaint and
                              try again. I am trying to decipher the Delftship lofting program to
                              fair up the lines but that is almost more work than just drawing and
                              correcting. It is a good program and free, but it required
                              everything to get converted to meters first and the table of offsets
                              format is very different from how it was done 75 years ago. I did
                              make a 4' tapered birds-mouth spar section to see how to do that.
                              Came out OK and I learned a lot before I have to make the 19' mast
                              that tapers at both ends. The www.duckworksmagazine.com site has
                              all the details on how to do that. I am also making some rope-
                              stropped wooden blocks now to keep me busy until the weather warms
                              up. Snowed again today in Colorado Springs.

                              > As for trying to laminate frames inside the ribbands, this seems
                              to be more trouble than steam bending. You would have to glue the
                              strips together and bring the messy bundle inside the ribbands, line
                              them up and clamp it up. I plan on using the stations as mold
                              patterns and before I set the molds on the keel, they will be used
                              to laminate the frames. The stations are on 18" centers so that
                              would eliminate half of the original frames. I will have to
                              incorporate the actual floors in the molds to make this work, that
                              is what screws are for! If I keep each one on the narrow side of
                              the mold and let them overhang some, then I can plane them down to
                              the correct bevel after the molds are positioned and the ribbands
                              start to go on. I don't think that a 7/8" frame is going to be hard
                              to plane down even if I use white oak. I keep my planes and
                              spokeshaves sharp.

                              > Anyway that's the plan
                              > Don Douglas

                            • gordocutter_1
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 8, 2008
                                Hi Mike! Sorry for taking so long to answer you, I needed to solve
                                some problems. Well for me you could be naturalize here, I don't
                                understand why you can not. I'm surprised that you have a Brazilian
                                kid, when you get any vacations here let me know; maybe we can do
                                some "live" chat about boats. I'm glad too that I found a way for
                                the construction. As for the wood, eucalyptus is not the final
                                decision is just a study option, I'm open for others, but I'm still
                                searching, I already talk with the suppliers of the lyptus in order
                                to get some samples for doing some experiments with, lets see what's
                                going to be…

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 8, 2008

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 8, 2008
                                    Hi Don! I just read the answer, of the friend that told me about the
                                    tip, and you're right about the way to go, the layers are
                                    intercalated one of wood one of fiber but it can be less of fiber
                                    than wood for example 4 layers of wood (would be like 5 mm for a
                                    7/8" frame ) and two or three of fiber, the final appearance would
                                    be like a thicker glue between the layers of wood, I think this
                                    could look nice for a bright work. He didn't told me the weight of
                                    the fiber just what kind of it, unidirectional fiber, here in Brazil
                                    we buying this kind of fiber in "roles" (don't now if is the right
                                    word), I'm getting some samples of eucalyptus in order to do some
                                    test with the wood for frames and I will use this method, when I do
                                    will show you some photos of the result, hope I helped!

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 10, 2008
                                      Laminated frames will work fine. They'll be stronger than steam-bent
                                      frames, but a lot more work. Just about every older bent-frame boat has
                                      had some broken ribs... Steam-bent frames are quick and easy to install
                                      though, and the boats so built last well enough.

                                      Be sure to use wood that takes gluing well. A few weeks ago I saw a
                                      (formerly) laminated stem that came out of a boat built in the 1980s,
                                      IIRC. NONE of the laminations were still glued together! The wood was oak;
                                      I don't know what the glue was, but I've heard much about epoxy and oak
                                      not getting along. If you use planking fasteners that penetrate all the
                                      laminations -- rivets would be best -- you'll have some insurance in case
                                      the adhesive fails.

                                      Don't get to worked up about spring back. You should set the boat up so
                                      that the frames are held in their intended curve when installed. They'll
                                      spring back a little when they come off the mold, but when you install
                                      them on the boat you can bend them back into shape and hold them with
                                      battens, cross spalls, etc. Steam-bent frames spring back too, but it
                                      doesn't matter because held to the proper shape when installed. Forget the
                                      fiberglass between laminations, you won't need it.

                                      On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:25:54 -0700, Adaucto wrote:

                                      > I'm starting to accept what you saying about the frames, and I'm
                                      > going to stick with the laminated one,
                                      > To overcome the problem of spring back of the lamination I thinking
                                      > in put a light part of fiberglass between the veneers what you think
                                      > about it? Maybe this stop the spring back, and will add some
                                      > resistance.

                                      The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace
                                      alarmed -- and hence clamorous to be led to safety -- by
                                      menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them
                                      imaginary. <H. L. Mencken>
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 10, 2008
                                        I think that's what I'd do. I'd probably set up the molds and ribbands so
                                        the outer faces of the ribbands were where the inside faces of the frames
                                        should be, to lay up the laminated frames _outside_ the ribbands. Twisting
                                        the laminations into place would be tricky, and cleaning them up after the
                                        glue hardens, but you wouldn't have to bevel them afterwards.

                                        On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:50:20 -0700, Adaucto wrote:

                                        > Also what you think about laminated directly over the ribbands,
                                        > using some plastic to prevent the frame from gluing the ribband?

                                        Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so
                                        dull, so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to
                                        describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have
                                        described a day at the seashore. <G. B. Shaw>
                                      • gordocutter_1
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 12, 2008
                                          Hi Kohnen! Thank you for your considerations, I think that's the way
                                          I'll take. In fact the major cause for that is the need to bevel
                                          them later if I would laminated before put them in their places.
                                          Doing directly on the ribbands I can get the same result if I did
                                          with the steam bent frame.

                                          Adaucto Mello

                                          > I think that's what I'd do. I'd probably set up the molds and
                                          ribbands so
                                          > the outer faces of the ribbands were where the inside faces of the
                                          frames
                                          > should be, to lay up the laminated frames _outside_ the ribbands.
                                          Twisting
                                          > the laminations into place would be tricky, and cleaning them up
                                          after the
                                          > glue hardens, but you wouldn't have to bevel them afterwards.
                                          >
                                          > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:50:20 -0700, Adaucto wrote:

                                          > > Also what you think about laminated directly over the ribbands,
                                          > > using some plastic to prevent the frame from gluing the ribband?
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > John <jkohnen@...>
                                          > Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so
                                          > dull, so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to
                                          > describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have
                                          > described a day at the seashore. <G. B. Shaw>

                                        • Tom Hesselink
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 12, 2008
                                            Let me suggest another method for laminating frames. You can take it
                                            for what you will.

                                            Get a plastic staple gun from www.raptornails.com (the staples are
                                            plastic, not the gun) and staple the laminates directly to the inside
                                            of the rib bands. Of course you had better heavily wax the rib bands
                                            first but then you will be able to just grind off the protruding
                                            staples after the epoxy has set and the rib bands removed. The ribs
                                            can then be faired with regular block planes, spokeshaves and small
                                            5" grinders (as they most assuredly will need some fairing). You can
                                            switch back to stainless staples on the inner laminates once the
                                            staples are not protuding. I would not incorporate fiberglass into
                                            the laminations as the whole job will be plenty messy already. The
                                            glass would add some strength but I don't think you need any more
                                            strength especially if you cold mold or strip plank the hull. By
                                            using this method you can also easily shift each laminate sideways a
                                            bit to help keep the beveled frames inline and then grind off the
                                            steps in the laminates later. It will be much easier if you cut
                                            beveled laminates for the frames with steep bevels. For a 7/8" thick
                                            frame I would suggest using about 5 laminates to prevent spring
                                            back.

                                            The idea of lofting stations so that frames can be laminated outside
                                            of the rib bands will make things very difficult as now you have to
                                            move the stations in about 2 3/8" (figuring 7/8" for the frames and
                                            1.5" for the rib bands) from what has been already dictated in the
                                            plans—that is a time consuming and complicated operation. Like I
                                            said—take it for what you want. This is going to be a challenging
                                            job no matter how it is done—patience will be a virtue. Good luck,
                                            Tom