Alternative Building Methods

  • Alan Boman
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
      I am about to build a River Belle and have been persuaded to use "Stitch and
      Glue" method with plywood instead of sawn frames & planks.

      Has anyone any thoughts or better still experience ?

      Alan

    • Randy Bennell
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 31, 2008
        How about stitch and glue with a mig welder and some steel panels?

        Randy

        I am about to build a River Belle and have been persuaded to use "Stitch
        and
        Glue" method with plywood instead of sawn frames & planks.

        Has anyone any thoughts or better still experience ?

        Alan

        Checked by AVG.
        6:21 PM

      • lon wells
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
          Frame less stitch and glue works well with smaller
          boats. Once a boat reaches the size of River Belle the
          hull loads and forces require the frames for the
          structural integrity. Your plywood sections need to be
          supported.

          The other problem is the twist and distortion of the
          plywood required on the mold lines of a Seabright
          skiffs hull would be hard if not impossible to hold
          with stitch and glue.
          Lon

          --- Alan Boman <alan@...> wrote:

          > I am about to build a River Belle and have been
          > persuaded to use "Stitch and
          > Glue" method with plywood instead of sawn frames &
          > planks.
          >

          > Has anyone any thoughts or better still experience ?
          >

          > Alan

          > removed]

        • George C
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
            Alan,

            Taking a design like the River Belle and converting to stitch and glue will require a sizeable amount of engineering, especially a 35' boat with a Seabright Skiff type hull. What type of hull planking does the plans specify: material, thickness?

            George

            I am about to build a River Belle and have been persuaded to use "Stitch and
            Glue" method with plywood instead of sawn frames & planks.

            Has anyone any thoughts or better still experience ?

            Alan

            <!--

            #ygrp-mkp{
            #ygrp-mkp hr{
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
            #ygrp-mkp #hd{
            #ygrp-mkp #ads{
            margin-bottom:10px;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad{
            padding:0 0;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
            color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
            font-family:Arial;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
            margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;}
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;}
            #ygrp-actbar{
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            #ygrp-ft{
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #ygrp-reco {
            margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
            #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
            font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

            #reco-grpname{
            font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
            #reco-category{
            font-size:77%;}
            #reco-desc{
            font-size:77%;}

            #ygrp-vital{
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a{
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o{font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal{
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq{margin:4;}
            -->

          • Alan Boman
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
              George,

              The original planking specs are Double Diagonal White Cedar, inside 3/8" and
              outside 7/16". We are proposing double diagonal 12mm marine ply.

              The bottom is specified as 1 3/4" White Oak, we are proposing double 19mm
              marine ply.

              The lower Skiff part of the hull will be made separately on moulds, with the
              fore and aft sections cold moulded as appropriate, then "stitched & glassed"
              into the remainder of the hull.

              The hull will be made on chipboard moulds the same shape and spacing as the
              original frames and, once turned over, internal plywood bulkheads lifted
              from the lofting and installed to suit the interior layout, (which is yet to
              be determined).

              Well, that's the plan at least... What do you think ?

              Alan

              I am about to build a River Belle and have been persuaded to use "Stitch and
              Glue" method with plywood instead of sawn frames & planks.

              Has anyone any thoughts or better still experience ?

              Alan

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:14px 0px;padding:0px
              14px;}
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              0px;}
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean,
              sans-serif;}
              #ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
              sans-serif;}
[...]

              font-size:77%;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:bold;color:#333;text-transform
              :uppercase;}
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;float:right;width:2em;text-align:right;paddin
              g-right:.5em;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              font-family:Arial;font-weight:bold;color:#628c2a;font-size:100%;line-height:
              122%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              ..MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              ..replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • Mike Dolph
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 1, 2008
                I would say the important thing would be to see if you can build a
                model with thin cardboard to see if large pieces of plywood would take
                that twist in the bottom. Plywood planked on battens seems like it
                would be better; it's not like those chines would be hard to bend.

                Mike Dolph

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

                > I am about to build a River Belle and have been persuaded to use
                "Stitch and
                > Glue" method with plywood instead of sawn frames & planks.
                >

                > Has anyone any thoughts or better still experience ?
                >

                > Alan

              • Sal's Dad
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 2, 2008
                  Have you talked with Alex Hadden? Dave Gerr? You should probably also track down the owner of Noble Cab, pick her brain, and try to bum a ride.

                  This is a HUGE project - ask Alex. He won't tell you man-hours or dollars, but I will tell you Noble Cab was in his shop for a couple years, with 2-3 pros spending almost all of their time on her...

                  Are you CERTAIN that the hull is "developable"? Don't take anybody's word for this, do some serious lofting/CAD, and build a large-scale model (say 50%) before you start. I had (am still having!) a helluva time with Rescue Minor.

                  Check the archives here, on the WoodenBoat forum, and boatdesign.net.

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Boman" <alan@...> wrote:

                  > I am about to build a River Belle and have been persuaded to use
                  "Stitch and
                  > Glue" method with plywood instead of sawn frames & planks.
                  >

                  > Has anyone any thoughts or better still experience ?

                • Len Schmitt

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4, 2008
                      If you're building them separately I might suggest 2-3 layers of biaxial
                      tape embedded in epoxy ... a stitch and glue joint. This is how the
                      tunnel stern panels are held together on my Tolman Seabright skiff.

                      Sincerely,
                      Ken Grome
                      Bagacay Boatworks
                      www.bagacayboatworks.com

                      > I am building a Spermacetti ( another Atkins Sea Bright skiff) using
                      > Reuel Parker's Cold molded Boatbuilding. I have'nt yet figured out
                      > how to marry the hull to the box keel yet, but with the warmer
                      > weather coming I hope to come up with something soon.
                    • Michael Walther
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 13, 2008
                        Hi Alan, Researching something else, I just now came across this @ Devlin's Boatbuilding: How to Build Any Boat the Stitch-and-Glue Way or @ http://www.devlinboat.com/ wish I'd thought of & found it sooner for you. You might say he the "King of Stitch and Glue". Good luck & don't forget to post progress reports with pix (I like pix:)) Thanks, Mike

                        I am about to build a River Belle and have been persuaded to use "Stitch and

                        Glue" method with plywood instead of sawn frames & planks.

                        Has anyone any thoughts or better still experience ?

                        Alan

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Alan Boman
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 16, 2008
                          Hi Mike,

                          Have located "How to Build Any Boat the Stitch & Glue Way" at Amazon and
                          have ordered a copy - thanks for the info.

                          Will let you (& group) know what it's like when I've had a read.

                          Cheers

                          Alan

                          --- On Tue, 4/1/08, Alan Boman <alan@... <mailto:alan%40boman.com> >

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 16, 2008
                            Hey Alan, Just found your message, glad it (info) might be helpful, hope so. Thanks for your response and hoping it's a good read & you enjoy it. I am looking forward to your critique as well. Enjoy, Mike
                            Ps. This is my third attempt due to Yahoo screw ups. If this ends up as repeat, I apologize. And again, Enjoy, Mike

                            > Have located "How to Build Any Boat the Stitch &
                            > Glue Way" at Amazon and
                            > have ordered a copy - thanks for the info.
                            >

                            > Will let you (& group) know what it's like when
                            > I've had a read.
                            >

                            > Cheers
                            >

                            > Alan

                            Be a better friend, newshound, and
                          • Alan Boman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 20, 2009
                              Hi Guys,

                              I'm building a "River Belle" 36' Tunnel Stern river boat, and I just put the
                              last piece of the bottom in place and thought you might like a photo.

                              There is still a looooong way to go but it's nice to see a 65 year old
                              design coming into being; it's like a piece of history being resurrected
                              out of the mist. Mr William never intended this design for plywood & epoxy
                              (obviously), but the panels sit on the curves very nicely. A complement to
                              a lovely design.

                              There are more pictures and a log of construction to date at
                              "riverbelle.boman.biz" if you are interested in more detail.

                              Alan

                              South Australia

                            • Sgt Sak
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 21, 2009
                                Outstanding!!!, that is the design I am interested in building. I am currently building the garage that I will build the boat in. I am really grateful for the pictures. I gives me an idea of the scale of the project.
                                Regards
                                Phil
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 26, 2009
                                  Looks good Alan! I'm pleased to see that on your Web page you mention that
                                  your boat was "inspired by" Wm. Atkin's design. I suppose this is a good
                                  time to remind people that when they alter an Atkin design, it becomes
                                  their design, not an Atkin boat, and the Atkins can't be blamed for any
                                  peculiarities in the performance. But your boat looks good so far, Alan,
                                  and I hope it works out well for you.

                                  On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:41:52 -0700, Alan B wrote:

                                  > I'm building a "River Belle" 36' Tunnel Stern river boat, and I just put
                                  > the
                                  > last piece of the bottom in place and thought you might like a photo.
                                  > There are more pictures and a log of construction to date at
                                  > "riverbelle.boman.biz" if you are interested in more detail.

                                  The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
                                  of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
                                  blood. <Logan Pearsall Smith>
                                • Alan Boman
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Mar 26, 2009
                                    Hi John,

                                    Your absolutely right. Although the changes I have made to Mr William's
                                    design are very minor, they have been very carefully thought about and are
                                    my responsibility.

                                    Below the waterline, the prop shaft angle is flattened a bit because I have
                                    moved the engine forward and I have also offset the engine to Starboard
                                    instead on Port because of its direction of rotation, and that's it.

                                    Above the chine, I have changed the flat planked sides to curved clinker
                                    with a raised sheer because it better suits frameless plywood construction.

                                    We'll see how it works out.

                                    Cheers

                                    Alan