Steam bent frames VS laminated frames

  • gordocutter_1
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 30, 2008
      I would like to start a discursion about steam bent frames versus
      laminated frames, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each.
      For example, the plans of the Maid of Endor are specified for planking
      over steam bent frames, but the plans are of 1953 and in this decade
      the epoxi system didn't exist yet, but I think it would probably be
      the choose of Sr. Atkins for the plans, sadly we'll never now.
      I'm fight with this impasse now, because I'm looking for Brazilian
      woods that can substitute the woods specified in the plans, but if I
      choose the steam bent frames the woods will be different from those
      used for laminated frames.
      I give now the words for you, Sirs.
    • glcost2
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 31, 2008
        Have you read the 2 articles at the bottom of the Maid of Endor page
        on Atkinboatplans.com. Both are on Robella which has laminated frames
        and cold-molded hull. The articles don't mention the pros or cons of
        laminated frames, but are very good reading on a non-traditional and
        successful build.

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "gordocutter_1" <gordocutter_1@...>
        wrote:

        > I would like to start a discursion about steam bent frames versus
        > laminated frames, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each.
        > For example, the plans of the Maid of Endor are specified for planking
        > over steam bent frames, but the plans are of 1953 and in this decade
        > the epoxi system didn't exist yet, but I think it would probably be
        > the choose of Sr. Atkins for the plans, sadly we'll never now.
        > I'm fight with this impasse now, because I'm looking for Brazilian
        > woods that can substitute the woods specified in the plans, but if I
        > choose the steam bent frames the woods will be different from those
        > used for laminated frames.
        > I give now the words for you, Sirs.

      • Mike Dolph
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 31, 2008
          I've been talking with Gordocutter on a Brasilian Yahoo list and I
          think what he needs to make a decision is scantlings and framing
          details for laminated frames and strip planking. There is at least
          one Brazilian hardwood that rivals green white oak for steam bending
          but the lines of Maid of Endor require some pretty radical bending. I
          have seen Ipe bent in large sizes for planking (on film)and I suspect
          in the 1/2'' or so size that would be used for a twenty footer it
          could be used this way. How ever it would be a learning experience
          for a master builder in Brazil and GordoCutter might be better off
          with the more modern fiberglass clad strip planking. Let some master
          builder do it the old fashioned way for the "Woodenboat" (TM) crowd.
          It's not that he doesn't feel the urge to build the traditonal way; he
          has said he would like too but it's really too big a challenge for an
          amateur.

          I know of one downloadable book that covers some of the differences in
          framing for steam bent and frames from futtocks, the term escapes me
          for the moment. That book was a course book for wooden boat builders
          in the 1920's, it's

          "A Practical Course in Wooden Boat and Ship Building" by Richard M.
          Van Gaasbeek and it's downloadable through Google Book Search (set to
          full view) to make it easy to find. Google Book Search and some of
          these great old titles really ought to be in the files section here;
          it seems very likely that fully downloadable gems like this will
          continue to be found. Another good one is "Small Boat Building" by
          Patterson also from the 1920's only most of the illustrations on that
          one are lost because they were fold outs and weren't scanned.

          Does anyone have scantling tables and framing and backbone details
          that would work for Maid of Endor?

          Mike Dolph

          wrote:

          > I would like to start a discursion about steam bent frames versus
          > laminated frames, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each.
          > For example, the plans of the Maid of Endor are specified for planking
          > over steam bent frames, but the plans are of 1953 and in this decade
          > the epoxi system didn't exist yet, but I think it would probably be
          > the choose of Sr. Atkins for the plans, sadly we'll never now.
          > I'm fight with this impasse now, because I'm looking for Brazilian
          > woods that can substitute the woods specified in the plans, but if I
          > choose the steam bent frames the woods will be different from those
          > used for laminated frames.
          > I give now the words for you, Sirs.

        • Scott Brumenschenkel
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 31, 2008
            Laminating will require more time and expense in materials both lumber and
            adhesives. It will also be messy. However I believe that it will yield a
            stronger and more stable frame per dimension than steam bending. A skilled
            boat builder, with helper and access to appropriate lumber (air dried White
            Oak in my region) could probably steam and bend all those ribs in a day or
            two. You would have a bit of a learning curve but would get the hang of it.
            I don't know the species off hand, but would suspect that you would have an
            appropriate timber for steam bending in Brazil. You might try the Wooden
            boat forum for information concerning technique, I could probably point you
            in the right direction with a little research, or you could go surfing. I
            would guess that the laminated frames would be longer lived, but you
            probably won't have to worry about either in your lifetime.

            Lovely boat the Maid of Endor. I have my eye on Inga. Let me know if I can
            be of any help. I will check encyclopedia of wood for appropriate Brazilian
            species and see if I can pint you in the direction of a steam bending
            article, or one on laminating.

            Peace
          • George C
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 31, 2008
              The Robelia was built by a professional in the UK. He used 1/2" strip planking with one 3mm veneer lamination and 2 layers of glass. Not sure on the size of frames, but the photos in the article do give a relative idea. Maybe Gordocutter can contact the builder to get more details. I did a quick google search and found this address.

              EUAN SEEL MARINE SURVEYS LIMITED
              1 Alton Green, Lower Holbrook, Ipswich,
              Suffolk United Kingdom

              If Gordocutter is interested in cold-molding, there is a book by Reuel Parker called The New Cold-Molded Boatbuilding from lofting to launch. There is a chapter on choosing a design and adapting a design. It might help in making some decisions. Here's a link to it:

              http://tinyurl.com/344ffm

              George

              wrote:

              > I would like to start a discursion about steam bent frames versus
              > laminated frames, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each.
              > For example, the plans of the Maid of Endor are specified for planking
              > over steam bent frames, but the plans are of 1953 and in this decade
              > the epoxi system didn't exist yet, but I think it would probably be
              > the choose of Sr. Atkins for the plans, sadly we'll never now.
              > I'm fight with this impasse now, because I'm looking for Brazilian
              > woods that can substitute the woods specified in the plans, but if I
              > choose the steam bent frames the woods will be different from those
              > used for laminated frames.
              > I give now the words for you, Sirs.

              <!--

              #ygrp-mkp{
              #ygrp-mkp hr{
              border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
              #ygrp-mkp #hd{
              #ygrp-mkp #ads{
              margin-bottom:10px;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad{
              padding:0 0;}
              #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
              color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
              font-family:Arial;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
              margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
              -->

              <!--

              #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
              #ygrp-text{
              font-family:Georgia;
              }
              #ygrp-text p{
              margin:0 0 1em 0;}
              #ygrp-tpmsgs{
              font-family:Arial;
              clear:both;}
              #ygrp-vitnav{
              #ygrp-vitnav a{
              padding:0 1px;}
              #ygrp-actbar{
              #ygrp-actbar .left{
              float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
              .bld{font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-grft{
              #ygrp-ft{
              padding:5px 0;
              }
              #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
              padding-bottom:10px;}

              #ygrp-reco {
              margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
              #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
              font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

              #reco-grpname{
              font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
              #reco-category{
              font-size:77%;}
              #reco-desc{
              font-size:77%;}

              #ygrp-vital{
              #ygrp-vital #vithd{
              #ygrp-vital ul{
              padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
              #ygrp-vital ul li{
              }
              #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
              #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
              font-weight:bold;}
              #ygrp-vital a{
              text-decoration:none;}

              #ygrp-vital a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}

              #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
              color:#999;font-size:77%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
              padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
              #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
              text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
              #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
              padding:8px 0;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
              text-decoration:none;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
              text-decoration:underline;}
              #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
              margin:0;}
              o{font-size:0;}
              .MsoNormal{
              margin:0 0 0 0;}
              #ygrp-text tt{
              font-size:120%;}
              blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
              .replbq{margin:4;}
              -->

            • Kenneth Grome
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 31, 2008
                > Laminating will require more time and expense
                > in materials both lumber and adhesives. It will
                > also be messy. However I believe that it will yield
                > a stronger and more stable frame per dimension
                > than steam bending.

                Cold molding can actually eliminate most or all of the frames, produce a
                stronger structure overall, and create a nice clean interior that's
                very easy to maintain and to add furniture to.

                Cold molded hulls are also reported to maintain their value much better
                than other hulls built using wood.

                Sincerely,
                Ken Grome
                Bagacay Boatworks
                www.bagacayboatworks.com
              • Don Douglas
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 31, 2008
                  From my reading on boatbuilding and the discussion of laminated members versus saw or steam-bent frames I think you would be fine keeping the scantlings the same as they are now. Especially on a desing like Maid of Endor. On Perigee, John Atkin redrew the lines for strip planking and changed the framing from full steam bent frames on 9" centers to half frames on 30" centers.

                  Here are some fuller details of John Atkin's modifications to Perigee drawn in 1988. (my comments in parentheses)

                  Frames: 7/8" x 7/8" white oak on 30" centers (from the scale drawing they only extend up the inside of the hull about 18" from the keel and mounted to the floors)
                  Ceilings: 5 strakes of 5/8"x2' white cedar (these appear to be mounted higher than William's original design and the LWL defines the mid point of the ceiling)
                  Hanging Knees: one on each side in line with the mast, a one on each side 12" before and aft of these. (they are sided 7/8" regardless of whether they are grown or laminated)
                  Inwale: 7/8" x 3" white oak (this runs the full length of the hull and the deck beams set on top.
                  Floor timbers: 1 1/8" white oak on 15" centers (so it appears there are floors in between the frames also that the strip planks attach to)
                  There are also tie rods of 5/16" bronze rod which tie the carlins to the deck beams to the hull.
                  The outside of the strip planking is covered with two layers of 4 oz polyproline impregnated with epoxy.

                  Williams Atkin's original scantlings

                  Frames: 7/8" x 7/8" white oak on 9" centers (these extend to the sheer line and fit into notches in the keel)
                  Ceilings: 5 strakes of 5/8"x2' white cedar (these are show along the flat of the hull profile below the LWL)
                  Clamp: 7/8" x 3" yellow pine (this is mounted to the frames and into knees fore and aft.
                  Shelf: 7/8" x 4" yellow pine (mounted on top of the clamp, deck beams are mounted to this)
                  Floor timbers: 7/8" white oak on each frame

                  Planking on both is 3/4" white cedar

                  So this put me into a similar situation as gordocutter and here is what I plan on doing.
                  1. Keep frames on original lines but skip every other one. This will give me 18" centers and keep the ones needed for bulkheads.
                  Result: more frames than John's specs for strip planking, less than William's carvel planked.
                  2. Keep frames full length to sheer and utilize both sheer clamp and shelve as in original design.
                  Result: Stiffer hull at top of sheer and across deck.
                  3. With full frames I will lower the ceiling strakes back down toward William's original design in order to keep them below interior fixtures like forward storage shelves and main cabin stove and sink counter top.

                  Looking back at the Maid of Endor articles and photos, it appears the here also are few full length frames and lots of hanging knees. The spacing looks about what John spec'ed out for Perigee guessing from the relative size of the interior. Most articles/books state that strip planking can eliminate or reduce the need for frames. The nailing together of the planks and the covering of the outside with laminate and epoxy does wonders for strengthing the hull structure as a whole. So my bottom line idea is to laminate my frames from molds made from the lofting. There will be 5 layers to make up the 7/8" final thickness. Once the frames are removed from the molds they will spring back some but this should not be a problem when I fit them. There will by main molds and ribbands setup so the frames should spring back to the designed shape very closely. Or that is what I plan. Then once the strip planks start going on the frames should pull up tightly to the planks nicely.

                  Well that is my essay for the night. My wife is wondering why I am not watching "Dancing With The Stars"!
                  Don Douglas

                • George C
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 1, 2008
                    Another reason for keeping the frames on a cold-molded hull is for appearance. The laminated frames keep a traditional look on a traditional design!

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
                      Hello Mike! How is the trip here in Brazil? Hope you're enjoying it!
                      I'm starting to accept what you saying about the frames, and I'm
                      going to stick with the laminated one, although I would like to make
                      the traditional way, its really a challenge here in Brazil to make
                      this kind of construction, and with the laminated I can choose in a
                      lager list, what kind of wood I can use. Thanks again for all the
                      support that you're provide me with, and the quality of info that
                      you give came to be very handful for me.
                      To overcome the problem of spring back of the lamination I thinking
                      in put a light part of fiberglass between the veneers what you think
                      about it? Maybe this stop the spring back, and will add some
                      resistance.
                      Thanks .

                      Adaucto.

                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...>

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
                        Hi there Don! Thanks for the tips, your plans are very similar to
                        the Maid of Endor, the frames are also 7/8" x 7/8", and they are 9
                        1/4'' centers but I'm thinking in doing all of them, with the same
                        centers and with laminated frames, like I was saying to Mike, I
                        would like to build with steam bent frames but it's a "little" to
                        hard for me, for the spring back problem somebody in Brazil of
                        another group of boat builders has told me that you could overcome
                        this problem by putting long and thin parts of fiberglass between
                        the veneers, that could also add some resistance to the frame, what
                        you think about it?
                        Also what you think about laminated directly over the ribbands,
                        using some plastic to prevent the frame from gluing the ribband?

                        Cheers
                        Adaucto

                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Don Douglas" <douglashome@...>
                        wrote:

                        > From my reading on boatbuilding and the discussion of laminated
                        members versus saw or steam-bent frames I think you would be fine
                        keeping the scantlings the same as they are now. Especially on a
                        desing like Maid of Endor. On Perigee, John Atkin redrew the lines
                        for strip planking and changed the framing from full steam bent
                        frames on 9" centers to half frames on 30" centers.

> [...]
                        that strip planking can eliminate or reduce the need for frames.
                        The nailing together of the planks and the covering of the outside
                        with laminate and epoxy does wonders for strengthing the hull
                        structure as a whole. So my bottom line idea is to laminate my
                        frames from molds made from the lofting. There will be 5 layers to
                        make up the 7/8" final thickness. Once the frames are removed from
                        the molds they will spring back some but this should not be a
                        problem when I fit them. There will by main molds and ribbands
                        setup so the frames should spring back to the designed shape very
                        closely. Or that is what I plan. Then once the strip planks start
                        going on the frames should pull up tightly to the planks nicely.

                        > Well that is my essay for the night. My wife is wondering why I
                        am not watching "Dancing With The Stars"!

                      • gordocutter_1
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
                          Hi George ! I also made the same google search for find some site of
                          the builder but all that I found was that address, didn't help me
                          very much cause it doesn't have even a phone number, even if it was
                          he is in England so… the phone bill would be astronomic.
                          But I was very interest by the book that you wrote about, and I'm
                          about to search it now, thanks very much.

                          Adaucto

                          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, George C <glcost2@...> wrote:

                          > The Robelia was built by a professional in the UK. He used 1/2"
                          strip planking with one 3mm veneer lamination and 2 layers of glass.
                          Not sure on the size of frames, but the photos in the article do
                          give a relative idea. Maybe Gordocutter can contact the builder to
                          get more details. I did a quick google search and found this address.

                          > EUAN SEEL MARINE SURVEYS LIMITED
                          > 1 Alton Green, Lower Holbrook, Ipswich,
                          > Suffolk United Kingdom
                          >
                          > If Gordocutter is interested in cold-molding, there is a book by
                          Reuel Parker called The New Cold-Molded Boatbuilding from lofting to
                          launch. There is a chapter on choosing a design and adapting a
                          design. It might help in making some decisions. Here's a link to it:

                          > http://tinyurl.com/344ffm
                          >
                          > George

                          align:right;padding-right:.5em;}
                          > #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                          > font-weight:bold;}
                          > #ygrp-vital a{
                          > text-decoration:none;}
                          >
                          > #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                          > text-decoration:underline;}
                          >
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                          > color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                          > padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                          > text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                          > padding:8px 0;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                          size:100%;line-height:122%;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                          > text-decoration:none;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                          > text-decoration:underline;}
                          > #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                          > margin:0;}
                          > o{font-size:0;}
                          > .MsoNormal{
                          > margin:0 0 0 0;}
                          > #ygrp-text tt{
                          > font-size:120%;}
                          > blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                          > .replbq{margin:4;}
                          > -->

                        • gordocutter_1
                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
                            Hi!Yes I read the two articles, They are very interested, I'm now
                            thinking in building with laminated frames.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
                              Gordocutter,

                              The tinyurl link below will take you to the book. There are many pages that you can read.
                              http://tinyurl.com/344ffm

                              George

                              Hi George ! I also made the same google search for find some site of
                              the builder but all that I found was that address, didn't help me
                              very much cause it doesn't have even a phone number, even if it was
                              he is in England so� the phone bill would be astronomic.
                              But I was very interest by the book that you wrote about, and I'm
                              about to search it now, thanks very much.

                              Adaucto

                              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro ups.com, George C <glcost2@... > wrote:

                              > The Robelia was built by a professional in the UK. He used 1/2"
                              strip planking with one 3mm veneer lamination and 2 layers of glass.
                              Not sure on the size of frames, but the photos in the article do
                              give a relative idea. Maybe Gordocutter can contact the builder to
                              get more details. I did a quick google search and found this address.

                              > EUAN SEEL MARINE SURVEYS LIMITED
                              > 1 Alton Green, Lower Holbrook, Ipswich,
                              > Suffolk United Kingdom
                              >
                              > If Gordocutter is interested in cold-molding, there is a book by
                              Reuel Parker called The New Cold-Molded Boatbuilding from lofting to
                              launch. There is a chapter on choosing a design and adapting a
                              design. It might help in making some decisions. Here's a link to it:

                              > http://tinyurl. com/344ffm
                              >
                              > George

                              <!--

                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 2, 2008
                                Gordocutter,

                                At the bottom the article (don't remember which one), there is an email address for the owner of the Robelia. May you can email him with questions.

                                George

                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 3, 2008
                                  There is? I didn't notice! Will check right now, don't now how this
                                  pass by me, thanks!

                                • Mike Dolph
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Apr 3, 2008
                                    Unfortunately I was back from Brasil September 1, 2006; that was as
                                    long as I could stay on a tourist visa with one extension. My former
                                    marriage to a Brazilian and the fact that one of my kids was born
                                    there did not quite allow me to take up permanent residency after so
                                    many years out of the country. Now I am back the economy and my
                                    income are walking hand in hand at new lows and I don't anticipate
                                    being able to go back soon. I would say that either way will be more
                                    than strong enough, especially if you plan to duplicate all the
                                    frames and structural members John Atkins specified.

                                    I'm really happy that you can see a way forward now. I still have
                                    some reservations about Eucalyptus as a boat building wood but there
                                    are many kinds of eucalyptus so we are very likely talking about
                                    different woods.

                                    I always enjoy Brasil, even when I am far away and only in touch by
                                    discussion groups and email. In a lot of ways it was the country of
                                    my youth and I feel like a dual citizen even if I am not officially.

                                    Check out my page at myspace myspace.com/mikedolph

                                    I have some pictures there from my trip. I'll be around both here
                                    and at hovercraft e veleiros if I can be of any help.

                                    Mike Dolph

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Apr 3, 2008
                                      Aduacto,

                                      I have no idea about laminating some fiberglass in between the wood pieces. This might be a good experiment and I will add that to my list of ideas to try. Do you put a layer of fiberglass between each layer of wood? And do the fiberglass layers show in the final laminate? I would suspect so but don't know what that would look like if you are going to keep the frames finished bright. Another question for you: What weight of cloth are they using between the wood layers?

                                      Presently I have all the lead I need for the keel but have not gotten the lofting down to something I am happy with. Each time I draw the lines and sections I get something different. Repaint and try again. I am trying to decipher the Delftship lofting program to fair up the lines but that is almost more work than just drawing and correcting. It is a good program and free, but it required everything to get converted to meters first and the table of offsets format is very different from how it was done 75 years ago. I did make a 4' tapered birds-mouth spar section to see how to do that. Came out OK and I learned a lot before I have to make the 19' mast that tapers at both ends. The www.duckworksmagazine.com site has all the details on how to do that. I am also making some rope-stropped wooden blocks now to keep me busy until the weather warms up. Snowed again today in Colorado Springs.

                                      As for trying to laminate frames inside the ribbands, this seems to be more trouble than steam bending. You would have to glue the strips together and bring the messy bundle inside the ribbands, line them up and clamp it up. I plan on using the stations as mold patterns and before I set the molds on the keel, they will be used to laminate the frames. The stations are on 18" centers so that would eliminate half of the original frames. I will have to incorporate the actual floors in the molds to make this work, that is what screws are for! If I keep each one on the narrow side of the mold and let them overhang some, then I can plane them down to the correct bevel after the molds are positioned and the ribbands start to go on. I don't think that a 7/8" frame is going to be hard to plane down even if I use white oak. I keep my planes and spokeshaves sharp.

                                      Anyway that's the plan
                                      Don Douglas

                                    • Mike Dolph
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Apr 4, 2008
                                        Douglas,

                                        I don't want to claim the experience of even an amateur who has built
                                        a boat much less a professional so consider all my comments with this
                                        in mind.

                                        I don't remember having read of a strict order for considering lines
                                        in lofting corrections but on giving it some thought I would try this
                                        and call it my best effort. I'd fair all the initial lines such as
                                        sheer, keel, profile and plan lines the architect would have done
                                        first. Then an architect would draw in three stations of
                                        approximately the displacement he wants but I would give emphasis to
                                        diagonals in lofting since he would have gone through several
                                        iterations of that to get his drawings and what I mainly want to
                                        achieve is a smooth, surface for planking and waterflow. Once
                                        diagonals were fair, I'd work the changes into the stations trying to
                                        leave the sheer and keel alone and, if at all possible, the rabbet as
                                        drawn. This seems to me to make the boat fair and doable with the
                                        least necessary changes to the architects intent.

                                        This describes more changes than you would probably actually have to
                                        decide on. I would certainly like to hear yours or anyone else's
                                        priorities in lofting as well. In the end you have to decide, since
                                        the Atkin's aren't there it's up to you to "skin this cat".

                                        Mike Dolph

                                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Don Douglas" <douglashome@...> wrote:

                                        > Aduacto,
                                        >

                                        > Presently I have all the lead I need for the keel but have not
                                        gotten the lofting down to something I am happy with. Each time I
                                        draw the lines and sections I get something different. Repaint and
                                        try again. I am trying to decipher the Delftship lofting program to
                                        fair up the lines but that is almost more work than just drawing and
                                        correcting. It is a good program and free, but it required everything
                                        to get converted to meters first and the table of offsets format is
                                        very different from how it was done 75 years ago.
                                        > Don Douglas

                                      • Tim & Kris
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Apr 4, 2008
                                          A few comments:

                                          1.) A properly laminated frame is about 3/4 again stronger than a
                                          similarly dimensioned steam bent frame of the same material.

                                          2.) Watch what you use; both adhesives and wood. High oil content wood
                                          or wood with tyloses (i.e. teak, ipe, or white oak) don't laminate
                                          correctly unless it's done in a very controlled manner, and even then
                                          it's up for debate. Your adhesive choices are pretty much epoxy,
                                          resourcinal, or Polyurethane (non-foaming).

                                          3.) Lofting a boat where the table of offsets was derived from the
                                          drawings is a bit of a best fit exercise. Use good battens and work
                                          for the fairest line and you should be okay.

                                          4.) If your planning on cold molding, the frames are pretty much there
                                          for show when it's all said and done. I don't think this is
                                          necessarily a bad thing as having a hull be too strong is okay with
                                          me, and the interior room lost is minimal.

                                          Tim

                                          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <johndolph@...> wrote:

                                          > Douglas,
                                          >
                                          > I don't want to claim the experience of even an amateur who has built
                                          > a boat much less a professional so consider all my comments with this
                                          > in mind.
                                          >
                                          > I don't remember having read of a strict order for considering lines
                                          > in lofting corrections but on giving it some thought I would try this
                                          > and call it my best effort. I'd fair all the initial lines such as
                                          > sheer, keel, profile and plan lines the architect would have done
                                          > first. Then an architect would draw in three stations of
                                          > approximately the displacement he wants but I would give emphasis to
                                          > diagonals in lofting since he would have gone through several
                                          > iterations of that to get his drawings and what I mainly want to
                                          > achieve is a smooth, surface for planking and waterflow. Once
                                          > diagonals were fair, I'd work the changes into the stations trying to
                                          > leave the sheer and keel alone and, if at all possible, the rabbet as
                                          > drawn. This seems to me to make the boat fair and doable with the
                                          > least necessary changes to the architects intent.
                                          >
                                          > This describes more changes than you would probably actually have to
                                          > decide on. I would certainly like to hear yours or anyone else's
                                          > priorities in lofting as well. In the end you have to decide, since
                                          > the Atkin's aren't there it's up to you to "skin this cat".
                                          >
                                          > Mike Dolph
                                          >
                                          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Don Douglas" <douglashome@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Aduacto,
                                          > >

                                          > > Presently I have all the lead I need for the keel but have not
                                          > gotten the lofting down to something I am happy with. Each time I
                                          > draw the lines and sections I get something different. Repaint and
                                          > try again. I am trying to decipher the Delftship lofting program to
                                          > fair up the lines but that is almost more work than just drawing and
                                          > correcting. It is a good program and free, but it required everything
                                          > to get converted to meters first and the table of offsets format is
                                          > very different from how it was done 75 years ago.
                                          > > Don Douglas

                                        • gordocutter_1
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Apr 8, 2008
                                            Hi Douglas! Sorry for taking so long to answer you, I needed to
                                            solve some problems, and I was trying to contact the guy ho told me
                                            about the laminated technique, and ask him about your questions,
                                            still didn't get a answer. Sadly I can not answer your questions
                                            about the weight of the cloth, or how it would look like the ended
                                            product, but I do have some clues about it:
                                            The frames are thin so, I suspect that they don't need too much
                                            strength to hold the spring back, I was thinking that one layer of
                                            fiberglass between four layers of wood can be enough to hold them, I
                                            think that the strength of the epoxi combine with the one layer of
                                            fiber can do the job properly, and if its stay between two layers
                                            of wood it would not be very visualize in the final product .
                                            For example four layers off wood with 3/16" and one layer between
                                            them of 1/8" fiberglass. That is how I think would work. If you put
                                            a layer of fiber between each layer of wood you would have to reduce
                                            the thickness of the wood in order to get the same dimensions of the
                                            frame (7/8") and the fiberglass would be more visualize if you do
                                            that way. When I get the answer of the guy that told me the tip, I
                                            keep you informed.

                                            wrote:

                                            > Aduacto,
                                            >
                                            > I have no idea about laminating some fiberglass in between the
                                            wood pieces. This might be a good experiment and I will add that to
                                            my list of ideas to try. Do you put a layer of fiberglass between
                                            each layer of wood? And do the fiberglass layers show in the final
                                            laminate? I would suspect so but don't know what that would look
                                            like if you are going to keep the frames finished bright. Another
                                            question for you: What weight of cloth are they using between the
                                            wood layers?

                                            > Presently I have all the lead I need for the keel but have not
                                            gotten the lofting down to something I am happy with. Each time I
                                            draw the lines and sections I get something different. Repaint and
                                            try again. I am trying to decipher the Delftship lofting program to
                                            fair up the lines but that is almost more work than just drawing and
                                            correcting. It is a good program and free, but it required
                                            everything to get converted to meters first and the table of offsets
                                            format is very different from how it was done 75 years ago. I did
                                            make a 4' tapered birds-mouth spar section to see how to do that.
                                            Came out OK and I learned a lot before I have to make the 19' mast
                                            that tapers at both ends. The www.duckworksmagazine.com site has
                                            all the details on how to do that. I am also making some rope-
                                            stropped wooden blocks now to keep me busy until the weather warms
                                            up. Snowed again today in Colorado Springs.

                                            > As for trying to laminate frames inside the ribbands, this seems
                                            to be more trouble than steam bending. You would have to glue the
                                            strips together and bring the messy bundle inside the ribbands, line
                                            them up and clamp it up. I plan on using the stations as mold
                                            patterns and before I set the molds on the keel, they will be used
                                            to laminate the frames. The stations are on 18" centers so that
                                            would eliminate half of the original frames. I will have to
                                            incorporate the actual floors in the molds to make this work, that
                                            is what screws are for! If I keep each one on the narrow side of
                                            the mold and let them overhang some, then I can plane them down to
                                            the correct bevel after the molds are positioned and the ribbands
                                            start to go on. I don't think that a 7/8" frame is going to be hard
                                            to plane down even if I use white oak. I keep my planes and
                                            spokeshaves sharp.

                                            > Anyway that's the plan
                                            > Don Douglas

                                          • gordocutter_1
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Apr 8, 2008
                                              Hi Mike! Sorry for taking so long to answer you, I needed to solve
                                              some problems. Well for me you could be naturalize here, I don't
                                              understand why you can not. I'm surprised that you have a Brazilian
                                              kid, when you get any vacations here let me know; maybe we can do
                                              some "live" chat about boats. I'm glad too that I found a way for
                                              the construction. As for the wood, eucalyptus is not the final
                                              decision is just a study option, I'm open for others, but I'm still
                                              searching, I already talk with the suppliers of the lyptus in order
                                              to get some samples for doing some experiments with, lets see what's
                                              going to be…

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Apr 8, 2008

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Apr 8, 2008
                                                  Hi Don! I just read the answer, of the friend that told me about the
                                                  tip, and you're right about the way to go, the layers are
                                                  intercalated one of wood one of fiber but it can be less of fiber
                                                  than wood for example 4 layers of wood (would be like 5 mm for a
                                                  7/8" frame ) and two or three of fiber, the final appearance would
                                                  be like a thicker glue between the layers of wood, I think this
                                                  could look nice for a bright work. He didn't told me the weight of
                                                  the fiber just what kind of it, unidirectional fiber, here in Brazil
                                                  we buying this kind of fiber in "roles" (don't now if is the right
                                                  word), I'm getting some samples of eucalyptus in order to do some
                                                  test with the wood for frames and I will use this method, when I do
                                                  will show you some photos of the result, hope I helped!

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Apr 10, 2008
                                                    Laminated frames will work fine. They'll be stronger than steam-bent
                                                    frames, but a lot more work. Just about every older bent-frame boat has
                                                    had some broken ribs... Steam-bent frames are quick and easy to install
                                                    though, and the boats so built last well enough.

                                                    Be sure to use wood that takes gluing well. A few weeks ago I saw a
                                                    (formerly) laminated stem that came out of a boat built in the 1980s,
                                                    IIRC. NONE of the laminations were still glued together! The wood was oak;
                                                    I don't know what the glue was, but I've heard much about epoxy and oak
                                                    not getting along. If you use planking fasteners that penetrate all the
                                                    laminations -- rivets would be best -- you'll have some insurance in case
                                                    the adhesive fails.

                                                    Don't get to worked up about spring back. You should set the boat up so
                                                    that the frames are held in their intended curve when installed. They'll
                                                    spring back a little when they come off the mold, but when you install
                                                    them on the boat you can bend them back into shape and hold them with
                                                    battens, cross spalls, etc. Steam-bent frames spring back too, but it
                                                    doesn't matter because held to the proper shape when installed. Forget the
                                                    fiberglass between laminations, you won't need it.

                                                    On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:25:54 -0700, Adaucto wrote:

                                                    > I'm starting to accept what you saying about the frames, and I'm
                                                    > going to stick with the laminated one,
                                                    > To overcome the problem of spring back of the lamination I thinking
                                                    > in put a light part of fiberglass between the veneers what you think
                                                    > about it? Maybe this stop the spring back, and will add some
                                                    > resistance.

                                                    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace
                                                    alarmed -- and hence clamorous to be led to safety -- by
                                                    menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them
                                                    imaginary. <H. L. Mencken>
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Apr 10, 2008
                                                      I think that's what I'd do. I'd probably set up the molds and ribbands so
                                                      the outer faces of the ribbands were where the inside faces of the frames
                                                      should be, to lay up the laminated frames _outside_ the ribbands. Twisting
                                                      the laminations into place would be tricky, and cleaning them up after the
                                                      glue hardens, but you wouldn't have to bevel them afterwards.

                                                      On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:50:20 -0700, Adaucto wrote:

                                                      > Also what you think about laminated directly over the ribbands,
                                                      > using some plastic to prevent the frame from gluing the ribband?

                                                      Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so
                                                      dull, so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to
                                                      describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have
                                                      described a day at the seashore. <G. B. Shaw>
                                                    • gordocutter_1
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Apr 12, 2008
                                                        Hi Kohnen! Thank you for your considerations, I think that's the way
                                                        I'll take. In fact the major cause for that is the need to bevel
                                                        them later if I would laminated before put them in their places.
                                                        Doing directly on the ribbands I can get the same result if I did
                                                        with the steam bent frame.

                                                        Adaucto Mello

                                                        > I think that's what I'd do. I'd probably set up the molds and
                                                        ribbands so
                                                        > the outer faces of the ribbands were where the inside faces of the
                                                        frames
                                                        > should be, to lay up the laminated frames _outside_ the ribbands.
                                                        Twisting
                                                        > the laminations into place would be tricky, and cleaning them up
                                                        after the
                                                        > glue hardens, but you wouldn't have to bevel them afterwards.
                                                        >
                                                        > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:50:20 -0700, Adaucto wrote:

                                                        > > Also what you think about laminated directly over the ribbands,
                                                        > > using some plastic to prevent the frame from gluing the ribband?
                                                        >
                                                        > --
                                                        > John <jkohnen@...>
                                                        > Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so
                                                        > dull, so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to
                                                        > describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have
                                                        > described a day at the seashore. <G. B. Shaw>

                                                      • Tom Hesselink
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Apr 12, 2008
                                                          Let me suggest another method for laminating frames. You can take it
                                                          for what you will.

                                                          Get a plastic staple gun from www.raptornails.com (the staples are
                                                          plastic, not the gun) and staple the laminates directly to the inside
                                                          of the rib bands. Of course you had better heavily wax the rib bands
                                                          first but then you will be able to just grind off the protruding
                                                          staples after the epoxy has set and the rib bands removed. The ribs
                                                          can then be faired with regular block planes, spokeshaves and small
                                                          5" grinders (as they most assuredly will need some fairing). You can
                                                          switch back to stainless staples on the inner laminates once the
                                                          staples are not protuding. I would not incorporate fiberglass into
                                                          the laminations as the whole job will be plenty messy already. The
                                                          glass would add some strength but I don't think you need any more
                                                          strength especially if you cold mold or strip plank the hull. By
                                                          using this method you can also easily shift each laminate sideways a
                                                          bit to help keep the beveled frames inline and then grind off the
                                                          steps in the laminates later. It will be much easier if you cut
                                                          beveled laminates for the frames with steep bevels. For a 7/8" thick
                                                          frame I would suggest using about 5 laminates to prevent spring
                                                          back.

                                                          The idea of lofting stations so that frames can be laminated outside
                                                          of the rib bands will make things very difficult as now you have to
                                                          move the stations in about 2 3/8" (figuring 7/8" for the frames and
                                                          1.5" for the rib bands) from what has been already dictated in the
                                                          plans—that is a time consuming and complicated operation. Like I
                                                          said—take it for what you want. This is going to be a challenging
                                                          job no matter how it is done—patience will be a virtue. Good luck,
                                                          Tom