Engine not aligned with Keel

  • Alan Boman
    Message 1 of 25 , Mar 11, 2008
      Hi Folks,

      I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
      forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
      assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.

      I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
      anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
      Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of the
      boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that this
      will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
      Starboard.

      Has anybody any thoughts ?

      Alan.

      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 17, 2008
        Yep, you've got it figured out right, Alan. With a left-hand propeller
        angle the front of the engine off to starboard.

        On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 03:32:18 -0700, Alan B wrote:

        > I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
        > forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
        > assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.
        >
        > I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
        > anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
        > Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of
        > the
        > boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that
        > this
        > will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
        > Starboard.

        Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after
        tomorrow. <Mark Twain>
      • Alan Boman
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 17, 2008
          Thanks for that John!

          Another aspect that I am much less sure about is the shaft elevation.

          The engine I have would allow the shaft to be angled much nearer to the
          horizontal than Atkin specified and that would be good for efficiency I
          think (in theory at least). However, I wonder if the hull design relies on
          an element of lift from the down angled prop to ultimately provide level
          operation.

          Atkin apparently always said "don't modify anything" and I am very happy
          with that, but I am still curious..................

          What do people think ??

          Alan

          Yep, you've got it figured out right, Alan. With a left-hand propeller
          angle the front of the engine off to starboard.

          On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 03:32:18 -0700, Alan B wrote:

          > I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
          > forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
          > assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.
          >
          > I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
          > anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
          > Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of
          > the
          > boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that
          > this
          > will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
          > Starboard.

          Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after
          tomorrow. <Mark Twain>

          <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

          Yahoo! Groups Links