Re: [AtkinBoats] Help with motor weight estimate

  • JOAQUIN OMAHONY
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
      Try the Antique Marine Engine website, or Museum at Mystic Seaport...if you know the year, the January Issues of Motor Boating Magazine (Boat Show Issues) will probably have specs on the engine. Universal Manuals/specs are available on line.
      Joaquin Roo

      Tom Hesselink <yahoo@...> wrote: Hello all, just found this group. I am planning on building the
      Sergeant Faunce and was wondering if anyone knew the weight of the 8Hp
      Universal Fisherman motor that is recomended? I did a search and found
      an estimate of 220lbs for a 5 HP motor but that is all. Any help
      greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
        > I doubt any modern 8 hp. marine engine will
        > do the work a Fisherman would ...

        I'm not sure if you would call this a "modern" engine, but it is a
        German-engineered engine that is manufactured in China and seems to
        have a lot going for it in terms of heavy duty construction, simplicity
        and longevity:

        http://tinyurl.com/2k6wtu

        If any 8 hp diesel engine on the market today will do the work of a
        Fisherman, I'll bet this is the one. It seems to weigh about the same
        as the Fisherman, too.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com
      • Mike Dolph
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
          There is a very simlar engine from Brazil. I put pictures of them in
          the Photos section with the title "engines for these boats" or very
          similar. In Brazil they use them with a scoop placed behind the
          propeller which pipes cooling water to a serpentine tube heat
          exchanger that fits into the cooling water hopper. It's a factory
          made part supplied by Yanmar for these engines.

          I don't know if anyone is importing them but they should. I hate
          buying anything made in China anymore.

          Mike Dolph

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome