Re: [AtkinBoats] Help with motor weight estimate

  • JOAQUIN OMAHONY
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
      Try the Antique Marine Engine website, or Museum at Mystic Seaport...if you know the year, the January Issues of Motor Boating Magazine (Boat Show Issues) will probably have specs on the engine. Universal Manuals/specs are available on line.
      Joaquin Roo

      Tom Hesselink <yahoo@...> wrote: Hello all, just found this group. I am planning on building the
      Sergeant Faunce and was wondering if anyone knew the weight of the 8Hp
      Universal Fisherman motor that is recomended? I did a search and found
      an estimate of 220lbs for a 5 HP motor but that is all. Any help
      greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
        The Universal Fisherman model WM weighs 220 lb, without a reverse gear;
        the model WMG with a reverse gear weighs 300 lb. The Fisherman has a bore
        of 4 3/8" and a stroke of 4 1/2" for a displacement of 67.8 cu. in. It
        puts out 8 hp. at 1,200 RPM. Fitted for burning kerosene it puts out 5 hp.
        I doubt any modern 8 hp. marine engine will do the work a Fisherman
        would...

        I hope you build that Sergeant Faunce, Tom. Keep us informed about the
        project.

        On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:33:01 -0800, Tom He wrote:

        > Hello all, just found this group. I am planning on building the
        > Sergeant Faunce and was wondering if anyone knew the weight of the 8Hp
        > Universal Fisherman motor that is recomended? I did a search and found
        > an estimate of 220lbs for a 5 HP motor but that is all. Any help
        > greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

        If perfection were needed for friendship the world would be a
        wilderness for our love. <Thomas Jefferson>
      • Tom Hesselink
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
          Thank you John for the quick reply. I hope to get started on the
          boat real soon as I just picked up some prime Juniper (Virginian
          cedar in Atkin's terms) for the planking and floor boards. I've had
          some Spanish Cedar laying around the shop for years looking neglected-
          -that might just find a home in the decks. I made copies out of
          MoTor BoaTing for this boat twenty years ago--think it is about time
          to get moving on it. I will keep the group informed of progress.
          Thanks again--if anyone has built this boat or has any suggestions--
          fell free to chime in. Best, Tom

          > The Universal Fisherman model WM weighs 220 lb, without a reverse
          gear;
          > the model WMG with a reverse gear weighs 300 lb. The Fisherman has
          a bore
          > of 4 3/8" and a stroke of 4 1/2" for a displacement of 67.8 cu. in.
          It
          > puts out 8 hp. at 1,200 RPM. Fitted for burning kerosene it puts
          out 5 hp.
          > I doubt any modern 8 hp. marine engine will do the work a
          Fisherman
          > would...
          >
          > I hope you build that Sergeant Faunce, Tom. Keep us informed about
          the
          > project.
          >
          > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:33:01 -0800, Tom He wrote:
          >
          > > Hello all, just found this group. I am planning on building the
          > > Sergeant Faunce and was wondering if anyone knew the weight of
          the 8Hp
          > > Universal Fisherman motor that is recomended? I did a search and
          found
          > > an estimate of 220lbs for a 5 HP motor but that is all. Any help
          > > greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom
          >
          > --
          > John <jkohnen@...>
          > If perfection were needed for friendship the world would be a
          > wilderness for our love. <Thomas Jefferson>

        • Kenneth Grome
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
            > I doubt any modern 8 hp. marine engine will
            > do the work a Fisherman would ...

            I'm not sure if you would call this a "modern" engine, but it is a
            German-engineered engine that is manufactured in China and seems to
            have a lot going for it in terms of heavy duty construction, simplicity
            and longevity:

            http://tinyurl.com/2k6wtu

            If any 8 hp diesel engine on the market today will do the work of a
            Fisherman, I'll bet this is the one. It seems to weigh about the same
            as the Fisherman, too.

            Sincerely,
            Ken Grome
            Bagacay Boatworks
            www.bagacayboatworks.com
          • Mike Dolph
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008
              There is a very simlar engine from Brazil. I put pictures of them in
              the Photos section with the title "engines for these boats" or very
              similar. In Brazil they use them with a scoop placed behind the
              propeller which pipes cooling water to a serpentine tube heat
              exchanger that fits into the cooling water hopper. It's a factory
              made part supplied by Yanmar for these engines.

              I don't know if anyone is importing them but they should. I hate
              buying anything made in China anymore.

              Mike Dolph

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome