Help with motor weight estimate

  • Tom Hesselink
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4 7:33 PM
      Hello all, just found this group. I am planning on building the
      Sergeant Faunce and was wondering if anyone knew the weight of the 8Hp
      Universal Fisherman motor that is recomended? I did a search and found
      an estimate of 220lbs for a 5 HP motor but that is all. Any help
      greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom
    • JOAQUIN OMAHONY
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5 6:20 AM
        Try the Antique Marine Engine website, or Museum at Mystic Seaport...if you know the year, the January Issues of Motor Boating Magazine (Boat Show Issues) will probably have specs on the engine. Universal Manuals/specs are available on line.
        Joaquin Roo

        Tom Hesselink <yahoo@...> wrote: Hello all, just found this group. I am planning on building the

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5 3:25 PM
          The Universal Fisherman model WM weighs 220 lb, without a reverse gear;
          the model WMG with a reverse gear weighs 300 lb. The Fisherman has a bore
          of 4 3/8" and a stroke of 4 1/2" for a displacement of 67.8 cu. in. It
          puts out 8 hp. at 1,200 RPM. Fitted for burning kerosene it puts out 5 hp.
          I doubt any modern 8 hp. marine engine will do the work a Fisherman
          would...

          I hope you build that Sergeant Faunce, Tom. Keep us informed about the
          project.

          On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:33:01 -0800, Tom He wrote:

          > Hello all, just found this group. I am planning on building the
          > Sergeant Faunce and was wondering if anyone knew the weight of the 8Hp
          > Universal Fisherman motor that is recomended? I did a search and found
          > an estimate of 220lbs for a 5 HP motor but that is all. Any help
          > greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

          If perfection were needed for friendship the world would be a
          wilderness for our love. <Thomas Jefferson>
        • Tom Hesselink
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5 7:45 PM
            Thank you John for the quick reply. I hope to get started on the
            boat real soon as I just picked up some prime Juniper (Virginian
            cedar in Atkin's terms) for the planking and floor boards. I've had
            some Spanish Cedar laying around the shop for years looking neglected-
            -that might just find a home in the decks. I made copies out of
            MoTor BoaTing for this boat twenty years ago--think it is about time
            to get moving on it. I will keep the group informed of progress.
            Thanks again--if anyone has built this boat or has any suggestions--
            fell free to chime in. Best, Tom

            > The Universal Fisherman model WM weighs 220 lb, without a reverse
            gear;
            > the model WMG with a reverse gear weighs 300 lb. The Fisherman has
            a bore
            > of 4 3/8" and a stroke of 4 1/2" for a displacement of 67.8 cu. in.
            It
            > puts out 8 hp. at 1,200 RPM. Fitted for burning kerosene it puts
            out 5 hp.
            > I doubt any modern 8 hp. marine engine will do the work a
            Fisherman
            > would...
            >
            > I hope you build that Sergeant Faunce, Tom. Keep us informed about
            the
            > project.
            >
            > On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:33:01 -0800, Tom He wrote:
            >
            > > Hello all, just found this group. I am planning on building the
            > > Sergeant Faunce and was wondering if anyone knew the weight of
            the 8Hp
            > > Universal Fisherman motor that is recomended? I did a search and
            found
            > > an estimate of 220lbs for a 5 HP motor but that is all. Any help
            > > greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom
            >
            > --
            > John <jkohnen@...>
            > If perfection were needed for friendship the world would be a
            > wilderness for our love. <Thomas Jefferson>

          • Kenneth Grome
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5 8:57 PM
              > I doubt any modern 8 hp. marine engine will
              > do the work a Fisherman would ...

              I'm not sure if you would call this a "modern" engine, but it is a
              German-engineered engine that is manufactured in China and seems to
              have a lot going for it in terms of heavy duty construction, simplicity
              and longevity:

              http://tinyurl.com/2k6wtu

              If any 8 hp diesel engine on the market today will do the work of a
              Fisherman, I'll bet this is the one. It seems to weigh about the same
              as the Fisherman, too.

              Sincerely,
              Ken Grome
              Bagacay Boatworks
              www.bagacayboatworks.com
            • Mike Dolph
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5 11:52 PM
                There is a very simlar engine from Brazil. I put pictures of them in
                the Photos section with the title "engines for these boats" or very
                similar. In Brazil they use them with a scoop placed behind the
                propeller which pipes cooling water to a serpentine tube heat
                exchanger that fits into the cooling water hopper. It's a factory
                made part supplied by Yanmar for these engines.

                I don't know if anyone is importing them but they should. I hate
                buying anything made in China anymore.

                Mike Dolph

                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome