Old Atkin Boat Plans

  • spoeringjohn
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10 9:47 AM
      Hi All -
      All my life I've been a great fan of Bill and John Adkin. I've
      built many boats in my lifetime and helped others with their's, I
      still remember as a small boy when driving out to Huntington, Long
      Island we would pass Billy's house - the one with the great big model
      ship up on the side.
      Now that I'm 73 and my big boat building days are past I've
      gotten into model building and long to build the Atkin designs. I'm
      particularly interested in "Twilight, Eric, Coot, Great Bear,
      Bellerophon, Gretchen and Sharpshooter.

      So, if any of you have any of the old plans (new ones just don't
      fit in my Social Security or retirement budget) that perhaps you
      built your own boat from, would you be willing to share them with me
      for a while. I promise to return them if I can only copy sufficient
      lines or offsets so that I can complete a very nice model.

      Thank you all in advance, Jack Spoering
      1643 NE 18 Street
      Ft Lauderdale, Fl 33305
    • Ronald Fossum
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11 9:16 AM
        If your library has the old Motor Boating Ideal Series you may be able to save yourself some trouble. If you go to John Kohnen's "Mother of all Maritimes Links" http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html , then to "John's Nautical & Boatbuilding Page", you will find partway down the page a link to "An Index of the Boat Plans in MoToR BoatinG Magazine's Ideal Series Books". Here you can find the Atkin design by name, and then the vol. and page numbers. The articles are complete with plans and a table of offsets as well as construction details. There should be more than enough info there to build any models. Aside from the small size of the plans, you could probably build the actual boat from the article.

        Ron Fossum

      • barbaraspoering@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 12 5:54 AM
          Hi Ron -

          Thanks for the reminder. Years ago I had a complete set of Motor Boatings Ideal Searies. I even removed some of the fold out plans and wallpapered our finished basement with them, Now too many years have passed so I'll see if I can find a used book store that may have a few issues - thanks again,

          Aloha - Jack Spoering

        • lon wells
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14 3:19 PM
            You should have kept that complete collection of Motor
            Boating Ideal Series. It would be worth several
            thousand dollars today. I would go to John Kohnen's
            Motor Boating Ideal Series web site and see what boat
            and volume you want, then look on ABE books, Your
            local library might have a copy of the volume or could
            get it through inter-library loan. It might just be
            cheaper to buy the full size prints from Mrs Atkin.
            They are real nice for old eyes.
            Lon

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?