For An Aft plans

  • foranaft
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10, 2008
      I would like suggestions on the following:

      What type of wood would you use today too build this plan?
      Anyone with links for a GOOD lumber yard
      Ok too use epoxy As the glue?

      Would you keep the boat 100% wood, or try too glass the boat hull
      too prevent worm/water damage in the future?

      What is included in the full plan packet i will order

      Any suggestions about these plans, or the boat For An Aft
      would be a great help!

      opinions on this boat would be a great help also!

      Thanks all!
    • jfrodigh
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2008
        Hello, I have a Fore an Aft built in the '50s, she is iron fastened,
        which I am changing to bronze, cedar planking, oak frames, floors, keel
        and stem. I will replace the stem and gripe with yellow pine, the
        frames with black locust, and any planking with atlantic white cedar.

        If you are on the east coast you have white oak, cedar, black locust,
        tamarack,(good for bulwarks and cabin tops, eastern white pine,
        (interior joinery), if you follow the plans you cannot encapsulate the
        hull, she will rot. You could cold mold,strip plank her. Tresarus is
        strip planked, I think with fir,as long as you use bronze you should be
        good for 50 years.
      • Elaina McCartney
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2008
          Tresarus is having a 50-year workover. Some of the lower planking
          was a little punky, and the plank ends fore and aft tend to be a
          little vulnerable if not steadily maintained. But she's in fine shape.
          Black locust stem this winter. She had a new transom about 3 years
          ago.

          Elaina