Russell R.

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 19, 2004
      Someone on our local messabout list was asking about Russell R. Maybe it's a
      good idea to bring the boat up here to see what the real Atkin boat fans
      have to say about the subject. Here's what I wrote over on the messabout
      list:

      "I like Russell R. I like the long, lean (but not too lean) and graceful
      shape, the enclosed outboard well (quiet!), the good performance with
      moderate power, the simple construction, and that the boat isn't cluttered
      up with a permanent cabin (if I had one, most of the use would be as a day
      boat, with only occasional cruising). I think it's a winner. The Atkins were
      masters of the flat-bottom skiff form. Russell R. is long, but light for its
      length, so trailering and launching shouldn't be difficult. To get the good
      performance it's important to keep the boat light. I think a hardtop cuddy,
      either permanent or removable, could be made light enough not to hurt the
      performance, but one would have to keep the word "light" in mind all the
      time when building it. The Atkins drew a slightly enlarged, inboard version
      of Russell R. with a permanent cuddy that gives an idea of what one could
      look like:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Cruisers/LittleEffort.html

      The construction of Russell R. is old-fashioned cross-planked bottom, with
      no transverse frames, and lapstrake sides. I wouldn't change the framing at
      all for plywood construction, though one could probably increase the spacing
      of the side frames a bit, if they wanted to. Russell R. is narrow enough
      that adding transverse bottom frames wouldn't be necessary (there are fore
      and aft stringers), I'd just lay the plywood crosswise. The plans call for
      3/4" white cedar bottom planking and 5/8" cedar side planks. 1/2" plywood
      would probably do for the bottom and 3/8" for the sides. I'd tell people it
      was "to keep the spray down", but mostly for looks and the fun of it I'd do
      the sides with lapped plywood planks, if I was doing it."

      Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless
      they meet two conditions:
      1. He is a Greek
      2. He is a Fisherman <Roy Blount Jr.>
    • Bob Johnson
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 21, 2004
        John,

        Thanks for the Atkins plan site, John and Billy have always been two of
        my favorite designers and writers. One feature of Little Effort that
        is found on many of the Atkins' flat bottomed designs is that little
        hollow or concavity of the chine line at the bow. This sharpens the bow
        at the waterline and eases the flow at the entry. You don't see that
        much in these days of fully developed sheet plywood designs. In a
        small boat you might get away with torturing a sheet of plywood to fit
        both the chine and sheer curves, but it's much easier to do with
        planked or lapstraked sides. No reason not to use full sheets on the
        bottom though.

        Bob

        PS: How about putting the link to the Atkins plan pages in the group
        message footer.

        ---

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 22, 2004
          Some of the Atkin skiffs have that concavity in the chine forward, but on
          the plan views of Russell R. and Little Effort the apparent concavity is an
          optical illusion. If you've got the articles on the boats, put a straight
          edge along the chine and you'll see that they're slightly _convex_. The body
          plans show a smooth twist, that plywood would follow fine, from aft up to
          section 3, or maybe two, but it twists back up towards the stem, so some
          persuasion would probably be needed to get a plywood sheet to fit. Lapstrake
          would probably not only look better (and "keep the spray down") but also
          cause fewer headaches.

          Good idea about adding the Atkin URL to the footer.

          On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:08:24 -0500, Bob wrote:
          > John,
          >
          > Thanks for the Atkins plan site, John and Billy have always been two of
          > my favorite designers and writers. One feature of Little Effort that
          > is found on many of the Atkins' flat bottomed designs is that little
          > hollow or concavity of the chine line at the bow. This sharpens the bow
          > at the waterline and eases the flow at the entry. You don't see that
          > much in these days of fully developed sheet plywood designs. In a
          > small boat you might get away with torturing a sheet of plywood to fit
          > both the chine and sheer curves, but it's much easier to do with
          > planked or lapstraked sides. No reason not to use full sheets on the
          > bottom though.
          >
          > Bob
          >
          > PS: How about putting the link to the Atkins plan pages in the group
          > message footer.

          Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine.
          <H. W. Tilman>
        • Bob Johnson
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 23, 2004
            You're right. I was seeing what was in my mind, not what was in front
            of my eye. You can see what I'm talking about on Shore Liner, which is
            one of my favorites.

            Bob
            ---

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 11, 2005
              This fellow emailed me in private, but his question really belongs here:

              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
                My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
                the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
                crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
                through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
                We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
                knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
                frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
                We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
                seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
                boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
                from wonderful to risky.
                The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
                Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
                tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
                scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
                that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
                sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
                make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
                possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
                transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
                a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
                Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
                make engine/other recommendations?

                Thanks in advance!

                Charley
              • huttbldr@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
                  Hey Charlie,
                  I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with 1/2 in.
                  ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu outboard. Be happy
                  to answer any questions.

                  Good Luck, Jeff

                • echo172@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
                    I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing is firmed up.
                    Bruce in NJ

                    From: "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...>
                    My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
                    the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
                    crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
                    through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
                    We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
                    knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
                    frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
                    We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
                    seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
                    boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
                    from wonderful to risky.
                    Recent Activity
                    7New Members
                    2New Photos
                    Visit Your Group
                    Atkin
                    Building plan
                    Deck building plan
                    House building plan
                    Home building plan
                    Yahoo! News
                    US News
                    Get the latest
                    national news now
                    Y! GeoCities
                    Create a Blog
                    And tell the world
                    what you think.
                    Sitebuilder
                    Free Download
                    Build your web
                    site in minutes..

                  • chunsdorfer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

                      > Hey Charlie,
                      > I'm in the process now of building the Russell R. I have gone with
                      1/2 in.
                      > ply on the bottom and 3/8 ply on the sides. A 18hp Tohatsu
                      outboard. Be happy
                      > to answer any questions.
                      >
                      > Good Luck, Jeff

                      Jeff, I'd love to hear about or even see the results.
                      I suspect that if the hull had no rocker and would be used at higher
                      planing speeds, 3/8" might be too light for the sides. If your
                      gunwales are sturdy, it might help make up for it.
                      Since I'll often be carrying full fishing gear (coolers and ice,
                      tackle boxes, bait, at least 2 people, spare fuel, etc.), plus the
                      heavier scantlings and cuddy, I feel like I need at least 25hp, but
                      it would be great if you prove my suspicions wrong.
                      Please keep us updated!
                    • chunsdorfer
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 13, 2006
                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:
                        Bruce,
                        I agree, longer is better, and while I mentioned upsizing the
                        Russell R. by 10%, I'm also considering adding 2" between the
                        stations, which would bring the total length up to around 26 feet.
                        While 28' would be better, it's just too long to tow.
                        Which Bolger plans are you looking at?

                      • adharvey2
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
                          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chunsdorfer" <chunsdorfer@...> wrote:

                          > My fishing partner and I are sick of screaming and slamming through
                          > the water at high speed (on plane), using way too much fuel, rocking
                          > crazily in any sort of a sea or wake, and having to slow to a crawl
                          > through anything 3' and higher in his 20' deep-v cuddy cabin.
                          > We'd like something more efficient that will cruise at 16-18 knots,
                          > knife through a chop, drive easily, have a cuddy for gear and a tube
                          > frame and canvas weather shelter for 4 people at most.
                          > We fish all along the Jersy shore for blues, fluke, stripers and
                          > seabass, and also in the back bays and up the rivers. We tow the
                          > boat to these locations and launch at ramps that vary in condition
                          > from wonderful to risky.
                          > The Atkin hulls I find appealing are Wakeful, Rosdave, Ninigret and
                          > Russell R. Due to its simple construction, shallow draft and engine
                          > tilting/beaching ability I'm leaning towards the Russell R. I would
                          > scale her up 10%, and build the hull with 1/2" ply sides (I realize
                          > that the sides may have to go on in strakes), 3/4" ply bottom
                          > sheathed in glass/epoxy and hardwood chines and frames. I'd also
                          > make her self bailing. I'm thinking 25-30 Yamaha 4-stroke power,
                          > possibly high thrust, with an 8hp kicker for emergencies on the
                          > transom. I'd also carry a short (10') mast and riding sail and build
                          > a socket mount at the corner of the transom.
                          > Would anyone care to comment on these choices, suggest others, and
                          > make engine/other recommendations?
                          >
                          > Thanks in advance!
                          >
                          > Charley

                          Hello Charley.
                          Myself I've been drooling over Rosdave for years - love to have 15
                          mph and a wine glass transom too! - not to mention a level riding
                          boat! I agree length is the key. But it's way too much work for my
                          circumstance. I'd have to strip plank and fiberglass it to survive
                          Montana winters on a trailer.
                          I've been lofting Tom Davin, but lately I've been thinking it might
                          be better to go with a decked boat like Wakeful or Russell R. I'd love
                          to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
                          sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of course
                          an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
                          bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little Effort?
                          Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The extra
                          4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with fishing
                          gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so much
                          lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm kinda
                          stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and 20+
                          feet is the way to go.
                          Andrew
                        • Kenneth Grome
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 14, 2006
                            On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                            > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                            closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                            seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                            is firmed up.

                            Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                            so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                            crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                            Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                            easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.

                            Sincerely,
                            Kenneth Grome
                            Bagacay Boatworks
                            www.bagacayboatworks.com
                          • chunsdorfer
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 15, 2006
                              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <adharvey@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              love
                              > to have a boat with an open stern like wakeful where two guys could
                              > sit and not have to fish around a motor or each other. But of
                              course
                              > an outboard would be alot easier to accomplish, especially a flat
                              > bottomed one. If you like Russell R have you looked at Little
                              Effort?
                              > Sounds like what you're after is an outboard Little Effort. The
                              extra
                              > 4" of beam might make it a little easier to get around in with
                              fishing
                              > gear and what not. I used to be big on Ninegret but I've read so
                              much
                              > lately about the advantages of longer length to beam ratios I'm
                              kinda
                              > stuck on the toothpick boats now. I'm thinking <= 6' of beam and

                              The reason I'd take the Russell R. plans and enlarge them instead of
                              just getting Little Effort is the Russel already has the outboard
                              well designed in. I also like the idea of tilting for beaching, easy
                              unfouling, removal for servicing, and initial cost. I'm a big diesel
                              fan, but those factors have me thinking 4-stroke outboard.
                              Wakeful and Rosdave would not lend them selves to outboard power,
                              and would require a good deal more time to build. But they sure are
                              nice to think about!
                            • echo172@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 16, 2006
                                Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring. I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat, sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin designs, that's why I lurk.
                                Bruce
                                From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                                > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                                > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same quest and no
                                > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to handle the
                                > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right now nothing
                                > is firmed up.
                                >

                                > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-weather commuter,
                                > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily bridge the wave
                                > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its length. Bruce
                                > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would make trailering
                                > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                                >
                                > Sincerely,
                                > Kenneth Grome
                                > Bagacay Boatworks
                                > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                              • chunsdorfer
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 17, 2006
                                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, echo172@... wrote:

                                  > Bolger suggested slicer when I last wrote him. I have looked into
                                  Bolger and Atkin designs and frequently find references to NJ
                                  fishermen but my specific needs aren't quite settled. I bought a
                                  boat to test a platform and will be adding a new bow in the spring.
                                  I may section the boat also and add 5 feet. That's after I settle on
                                  a bow design. There are so many boats to sift through it's been very
                                  rewarding reading. BTW the Shivaree series is a possible boat,
                                  sometime or never the name. I haven't made a short list of Atkin
                                  designs, that's why I lurk.
                                  > Bruce
                                  > From: Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
                                  > > On Tuesday 14 November 2006 02:49, echo172@... wrote:
                                  > > > I fish the same waters AC to delaware bay. I'm on the same
                                  quest and no
                                  > > closer to an answer. It looks like it will take a longer boat to
                                  handle the
                                  > > seas over 2 feet. I'm looking into some Bolger designs and right
                                  now nothing
                                  > > is firmed up.
                                  > >

                                  > > Slicer is a Bolger boat (29' I believe) designed as an all-
                                  weather commuter,
                                  > > so it may not be an ideal fishing boat, but it should easily
                                  bridge the wave
                                  > > crests and allow fast running in 2-3' seas because of its
                                  length. Bruce
                                  > > Hallman thiks it can be designed to fold in half which would
                                  make trailering
                                  > > easy. It should give you the efficiency you're seeking.
                                  > >
                                  > > Sincerely,
                                  > > Kenneth Grome
                                  > > Bagacay Boatworks
                                  > > www.bagacayboatworks.com

                                  I haven't seen the lines for slicer, but I assume from the one photo
                                  I saw that she's pretty narrow, which might prevent building any
                                  sort of structure above the gunwales.