Steel?

  • mat_man22
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6 12:11 PM
      Hi

      I am wondering if Atkins did any V hull sail designs in steel.
      I am also interested in large V hull designs not listed on
      the website.

      Mat
    • mikegt4
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7 5:07 PM
        Mat,
        The schooners "Little Maid of Kent" and "Island Princess" are
        available in steel, probably others as well.
        Mike

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "mat_man22" <mat_man@u...> wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > I am wondering if Atkins did any V hull sail designs in steel.
        > I am also interested in large V hull designs not listed on
        > the website.
        >
        > Mat
      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7 7:35 PM
          Mat, "Liza Jane" a 19ft steel knockabout is one that I can think off
          off the top of my head. are you thinking larger? The "Little Maid of
          Kent" also could be built in steel, but I'm not sure if that is a V
          hull.
          Dennis

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7 7:42 PM
            Little Maid of Kent and Island Princess plans are available for steel
            construction. How big is "large"? I think the 28' knockabout Topsy is the
            only V-bottom sailer of any size in the current catalog that hasn't been put
            online yet (soon!). The current catalog only contains about a third of the
            boats the Atkins designed, so they probably designed some others. Mrs. Atkin
            has a busy life (pottery is her passion) and doesn't have the time to
            catalog the designs that aren't in the current catalog, so we have to search
            elsewhere for evidence of them.

            Most of the Atkins' V-bottom sailboats that weren't designed for metal or
            plywood construction have some reverse curve in the underwater sections aft,
            making them difficult to build with sheet materials. A lot of them, sail and
            power alike, also have molded sections in the topsides to boot.

            On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 19:11:31 -0000, Mat wrote:
            > Hi
            >
            > I am wondering if Atkins did any V hull sail designs in steel.
            > I am also interested in large V hull designs not listed on
            > the website.

            One boat just leads to another.
            <John Kohnen>