Re: [AtkinBoats] Problem in the Lofting

  • Aquiles Rösner
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 2, 2008
      Am Freitag, den 01.02.2008, 16:08 -0700 schrieb Chris Kottaridis:

      > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 21:38 -0500, Ron Butterfield wrote:
      >
      > > > with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or 3.10³/²
      > +,
      >
      > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
      >
      > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)

      An other important boock only about lofting is "Lofting" from Allan H.
      Vaitses, published by WoodenBoat Publications, www.woodenboat.com
      Happy lofting
      Aquiles from Germany

    • George C
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 2, 2008
        The gentlman that asked this question had several typos in the dimensions he listed. The example he gave 3.10 3/2+, is really 3-10 3/4 +. The Maiden of Endor offsets are in feet, inches, fraction of an inch down to an eights with the +/- indicator for sixteenths.

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
          On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 18:59 -0800, George C wrote:
          > The example he gave 3.10 3/2+, is really 3-10 3/4 +.

          Ahhh, That makes more sense.

          Thanks
          Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)
        • gordocutter_1
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "rdtsang1953" <rdtsang@...> wrote:
            >Hi Bob thanks for the tip, I order the plans from the wooden boat
            store.
            They suggest the Greg Rossel's Book "Building Small Boats", its
            seems good but I didn't read any other book. Here in Brazil,
            different from the EUA, we don't have much literature from this
            subject, I had to bought in the Amazon. I will search for the
            Chapell's book now . Thanks .

            Adaucto

            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "gordocutter_1" <gordocutter_1@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > I recently receive the plans for the Maid of Endor that I order,
            when
            > > I started studying the plans I faced my first problem, the
            table of

            > If your not using Howard Chappell's (sp?) book 'Boatbuilding',
            don't
            > build the boat. It has an excellent discussion on lofting not to
            > mention boatbuilding. You can probably get it on loan from your
            local
            > library.
            >
            > Bob

          • gordocutter_1
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "RF Wellington" <dukenali@...>
              wrote:

              It's sure helps Wellington, thank you very much for your tips
              friend. I think I've been a little ambitious in build such a boat
              like the Maid of Endor. But I'm fascinate with the lines of her and
              the more I think about the idea in building her the more a like. I
              will sure appreciate helps like this you provide in the process.
              Thanks .

              Adaucto

              > All boat plans that I have ever seen or worked with are
              dimensioned
              > in: Feet, Inches, and Eights. That's The Rule !
              >
              > The last number is ALWAYS in eights of an inch (a 6 would really
              mean
              > 3/4")
              >
              > A dimension on the plan such as 8-7-4 would mean the dimension is
              8
              > feet, 7 inches, and 4 eights of an inch long (or 8 feet 7 1/2")
              >
              > An indication of + after the dimension indicates that the
              dimension
              > is 1/16 of an inch longer than indicated. An indication of -
              after
              > the dimension indicates that the actual dimension is 1/16 shorter
              > than indicated.
              >
              > A dimension on the plan of 8-7-4+ would mean that the actual
              > dimension is 8 feet, 7 and 9/16 inches long. Conversely a
              dimension
              > of 8-7-4- would indicate that the actual dimension is 8 feet, 7
              and
              > 7/16 inches long.
              >
              > I have never seen a boat plan dimensioned in tenths of an inch
              such
              > as 3.10 I do not know how much of an addition or a subtration the
              +
              > or the - would make in this case.
              >
              > The builder always has to use a little leeway, common sense, and
              his
              > eye. Make everything fair, fit properly, look correct and you
              should
              > have a fine craft. The most valuable tool, equipment, or
              commodity
              > any boat builder can have at his disposal is experience. That is
              why
              > most people recommend that your first building project should be
              > something small where you can gain both experience and confidence,
              > such as a dinghy.
              >
              > I hope this helps.
              >
              > Duke Wellington
              >

              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@>
              > wrote:

              > 3.10³/²+,
              > >
              > > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
              > >
              > > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@)

            • gordocutter_1
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, EUGENE DIXON
                <edalmatiandixon@...> wrote:
                > Thanks for the tip Eugene! I will search the books!

                > Lofting Problem: + or - , add or subtract !/16" usualy. but
                go for a fair curve, no bumps or kinks.
                > Try your public libray Reuel Parker --- "The New Cold-
                Molded Boatbuilding or
                > Buehlers Backyard Boat Building.
                >
                > gordocutter_1 <gordocutter_1@...> wrote:
                > I recently receive the plans for the Maid of Endor that
                I order, when
                > I started studying the plans I faced my first problem, the table
                of
                > offsets has some numbers with the signal of addiction(+) and some
                > with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or
                3.10³/²+,
                > if somebody can tell me what the signals means, I would really
                > appreciate the help.
                > I bought the Greg Rössel book "Building Small Boats" but there
                > is no example of numbers like these using the signal of addition
                or
                > subtraction, although the book is very good in the part of
                lofting.
                > I think is obviously that is my first lofting and if there is any
                tip
                > of you folks, who have already pass by these problems I would
                really
                > appreciate the help. Thanks !

              • gordocutter_1
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Don Douglas" <douglashome@...>
                  wrote:
                  > Thanks for the help Douglas, one of the numbers of the table for
                  example are 2.11¹/²+ that's exactly how is written.Somebody sad that
                  the plus and the minus are sixteenths, an others sad that those are
                  eights, but the plans that Ihave specified the dimensions in feet's
                  and inches, so at the end I just don't now were to go at all.

                  > The + sign means the actual measurement is a little over the
                  stated dimension and the - means it is a little less. So if the
                  measurement was 2 10 1/2+ then the actual measurement is a little
                  over 1/2". This would be easier to pick up if you gave us the
                  smallest fraction used. Let's say everything is in 1/4" increments,
                  then the +/- would take you to the +1/8 or -1/8" from the stated
                  point.

                  > Hope that helps
                  > Don Douglas

                • gordocutter_1
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Aquiles Rösner
                    <aquiles.roesner@...> wrote:
                    >Thanks for the help Aquiles, it looks like we have controversial
                    info about that, some say that these are sixteenths, others says
                    what you are saying, I'm standing in the middle try to discovery
                    what it is. Thanks for the tip of the book I will search for it.

                    > > +,
                    > >
                    > > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
                    > >
                    > > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)
                    >
                    > An other important boock only about lofting is "Lofting" from
                    Allan H.
                    > Vaitses, published by WoodenBoat Publications, www.woodenboat.com
                    > Happy lofting
                    > Aquiles from Germany

                  • Don Douglas
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                      I have Rossel's book "Building Small Boats" plus "The Boatbuilder's Apprentice" and find a lot of good information from those two. But if you are going to build the Maid of Endor design, I suggest that you get (or steal) Chapelle's book since it is a benchmark of boat building and information that you will need. Also of good reference for the type of boat you are going to build are these two books: "How To Build A Wooden Boat" by David C. "Bud" McIntosh and "Details of Classic Boat Construction" by Larry Pardey. These two books along with Chapelle's "Boatbuilding" are the most reread books in my library. Also you might pick up these two for more details on lofting: "Lofting" by Allan H. Vaitses and "Mystic Seaport Boatshop Lofting Manual" by Barry Thomas and Chris Rawlings. They give some additional perspective on lofting but you can learn more than needed from Chapelle's chapter on Lofting in "Boatbuilding".

                      You and I are in the same boat so to speak with our choices of builds. I am going after Atkin's Perigee which is similar to Maid of Endor but about 3' shorter. And these are our first "real" boats!

                      Have fun building and don't worry about making mistakes and starting some part over. It is just a part of building.

                      Don Douglas

                    • gordocutter_1
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                        wrote:
                        >Thank you very much, Douglas for your help and attention, I'm right
                        now looking for the Chapelle's book (if I can't find it I'll be glad
                        to stele it ) and all of the others books that you listed, in
                        special the "Lofting" by Allan H. Vaitses.
                        It is great to hear that I not the only one getting in these
                        adventure in building a boat that requires so much knowledge for
                        building it. I will be glad in see and hearing any progress in your
                        boat.Good Luck !
                        By the way I saw the plans of Perigee in the Atkin's page and her
                        lines are very beautiful nice choice.

                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                          Yep, that should solve Adaucto's problem. While feet, inches and eighths
                          are the "rule" for offsets, some of the Atkin plans use feet and
                          fractional inches. In either case, + means add 1/16" and - means
                          substract 1/16". Thanks for looking at the plans and providing an
                          authoritative and concise answer, George.

                          It can't be stated often enough that all of the Atkin plans, except for a
                          few of the very simplest little boats, require complete lofting! That
                          doesn't mean just drawing the sections full-size; o, that way madness
                          lies, my friends! All three views: profile, plan and sections have to be
                          laid down and faired until they agree with each other. Anything less will
                          result in extra work later, at best, or mishapen atrocity, at worst.
                          <harumph>

                          If you don't have room to lay down the lines full size, then where are you
                          gonna find room to build the boat? But there are sometimes special
                          circumstances where there isn't room to loft full size. Don't use that as
                          an excuse to skip lofting altogether! Loft at 1/2 size, or what ever
                          convenient fraction will, fit -- as big as you can. But try as hard as you
                          can to do a proper lofting at full size. It's more accurate, and you can
                          make patterns directly from your lofting.

                          You'll thank yourself many times as you're building that you did a proper
                          job of lofting at the start.

                          On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 18:59:31 -0800, George C wrote:

                          > The gentlman that asked this question had several typos in the
                          > dimensions he listed. The example he gave 3.10 3/2+, is really 3-10 3/4
                          > +. The Maiden of Endor offsets are in feet, inches, fraction of an inch
                          > down to an eights with the +/- indicator for sixteenths.

                          Many a man has fallen in love with a girl in light so dim he
                          would not have chosen a suit by it. <Maurice Chevalier>
                        • alankornhauser
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                            One reason you have to loft hand-drawn plans is that the dimensions on
                            the table of offsets are scaled from the lines plan. The lines plan
                            for a 20' boat might be at the scale 1"=1'; for a larger boat the scale
                            could be smaller. The smallest division on a 1"=1' architect's scale
                            is 1/4", and designers figure that they can read to 1/2 of the smallest
                            division, or 1/8". 1/16" is less than the thickness of the pencil
                            line, so there's no point in writing 16ths. Anything that is not quite
                            on an even 1/8" is designated with a + or -, but the exact value is not
                            quantified.

                            I've found that some William Atkin tables of offsets in MotorBoating
                            articles have one or two gross errors that are clearly the result of
                            mis-scaling the drawings. I suppose he turned out some of those
                            designs on a pretty tight deadline and didn't have time for really
                            careful checking.
                          • Alan Boman
                            Message 13 of 25 , Mar 11, 2008
                              Hi Folks,

                              I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
                              forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
                              assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.

                              I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
                              anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
                              Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of the
                              boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that this
                              will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
                              Starboard.

                              Has anybody any thoughts ?

                              Alan.

                              Message 14 of 25 , Mar 17, 2008
                                Yep, you've got it figured out right, Alan. With a left-hand propeller
                                angle the front of the engine off to starboard.

                                On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 03:32:18 -0700, Alan B wrote:

                                > I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
                                > forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
                                > assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.
                                >
                                > I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
                                > anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
                                > Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of
                                > the
                                > boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that
                                > this
                                > will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
                                > Starboard.

                                Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after
                                tomorrow. <Mark Twain>
                              • Alan Boman
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 17, 2008
                                  Thanks for that John!

                                  Another aspect that I am much less sure about is the shaft elevation.

                                  The engine I have would allow the shaft to be angled much nearer to the
                                  horizontal than Atkin specified and that would be good for efficiency I
                                  think (in theory at least). However, I wonder if the hull design relies on
                                  an element of lift from the down angled prop to ultimately provide level
                                  operation.

                                  Atkin apparently always said "don't modify anything" and I am very happy
                                  with that, but I am still curious..................

                                  What do people think ??

                                  Alan

                                  Yep, you've got it figured out right, Alan. With a left-hand propeller
                                  angle the front of the engine off to starboard.

                                  On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 03:32:18 -0700, Alan B wrote:

                                  > I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
                                  > forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
                                  > assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.
                                  >
                                  > I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
                                  > anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
                                  > Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of
                                  > the
                                  > boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that
                                  > this
                                  > will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
                                  > Starboard.

                                  Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after
                                  tomorrow. <Mark Twain>

                                  <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                                  Yahoo! Groups Links