Matthews Sailer

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2004
      I stumbled on this mention of the Matthews Sailer while preparing the text
      for the ketch Sunnie:

      "Should you care to look back through the files of MoToR BoatinG there will
      be found in the issue of September, 1946, designs of the rough water open
      boat Brent; and in the text mention is made to the effect that the little V
      bottom was named in honor of a very young man who lives at Tarboro, North
      Carolina, the text going on to say, "One of these days with the coming of
      spring.Brent's father will sail away from these Connecticut shores bound
      South in a 36-foot by 11-foot beam, by 3-foot draft Matthews Sailer type
      ketch-rigged auxiliary now under construction in an inland boat shop at New
      Canaan, Conn. And perhaps one of these fine days, the fates willing, the
      plans of the ketch will appear in MoToR BoatinG. [it's Sunnie]"

      "Brent's father, Pembroke Nash, owned one, of the original Matthews Sailers.
      It will be remembered these boats were built in 1934 by The Matthews
      Company, Port Clinton, Ohio, and were from my designs. The original Sailers
      were 25 feet 9 inches over all; 22 feet on the water line; 8 feet 6 inches
      in breadth; and drew only 2 feet 3 inches of water. The model was an
      adaptation of the famous Seabright skiffs of the New Jersey coast and
      incorporated the straight flat doubleended keel, and the box deadwood but
      rather than the round bilge of the true Seabright skiff, the hull sections
      above the keel and box deadwood had all the better characteristics of the V
      bottom model. The Sailer did not have a centerboard and did not require one.

      "There were about a hundred of these boats built and sold and in view of the
      fact that very few of these have been offered for re-sale, the conclusion is
      that they are unusually satisfactory to their owners; and it just may be
      that many satisfied owners know a well-behaved and built boat when they see
      it; and have the good sense to keep it. The Matthews Sailer was knockabout
      rigged with jib-head sail plan and powered with a Gray Sea Scout motor.
      Despite the very shallow draft these boats sailed unusually well; sailed far
      better, I am glad to report, than had been predicted by many of the so
      called "experts" who came aboard the first Sailer which was exhibited at the
      1934 New York Motor Boat Show."

      Would you believe that a Google search for "Matthews Sailer" didn't turn up
      a single hit!?

      Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are the divinely
      provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever they are on the brink of
      starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy send them a nice plump missionary.
      <Oscar Wilde>