Re: [AtkinBoats] Problem in the Lofting

  • EUGENE DIXON
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 31, 2008
      Lofting Problem: + or - , add or subtract !/16" usualy. but go for a fair curve, no bumps or kinks.
      Try your public libray Reuel Parker --- "The New Cold-Molded Boatbuilding or
      Buehlers Backyard Boat Building.

      gordocutter_1 <gordocutter_1@...> wrote:
      I recently receive the plans for the Maid of Endor that I order, when
      I started studying the plans I faced my first problem, the table of
      offsets has some numbers with the signal of addiction(+) and some
      with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or 3.10³/²+,
      if somebody can tell me what the signals means, I would really
      appreciate the help.
      I bought the Greg Rössel book "Building Small Boats" but there
      is no example of numbers like these using the signal of addition or
      subtraction, although the book is very good in the part of lofting.
      I think is obviously that is my first lofting and if there is any tip
      of you folks, who have already pass by these problems I would really
      appreciate the help. Thanks !

    • Don Douglas
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 31, 2008
        The + sign means the actual measurement is a little over the stated dimension and the - means it is a little less. So if the measurement was 2 10 1/2+ then the actual measurement is a little over 1/2". This would be easier to pick up if you gave us the smallest fraction used. Let's say everything is in 1/4" increments, then the +/- would take you to the +1/8 or -1/8" from the stated point.

        Hope that helps
        Don Douglas

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 2, 2008
          Am Freitag, den 01.02.2008, 16:08 -0700 schrieb Chris Kottaridis:

          > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 21:38 -0500, Ron Butterfield wrote:
          >
          > > > with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or 3.10³/²
          > +,
          >
          > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
          >
          > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)

          An other important boock only about lofting is "Lofting" from Allan H.
          Vaitses, published by WoodenBoat Publications, www.woodenboat.com
          Happy lofting
          Aquiles from Germany

        • George C
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 2, 2008
            The gentlman that asked this question had several typos in the dimensions he listed. The example he gave 3.10 3/2+, is really 3-10 3/4 +. The Maiden of Endor offsets are in feet, inches, fraction of an inch down to an eights with the +/- indicator for sixteenths.

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
              On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 18:59 -0800, George C wrote:
              > The example he gave 3.10 3/2+, is really 3-10 3/4 +.

              Ahhh, That makes more sense.

              Thanks
              Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)
            • gordocutter_1
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "rdtsang1953" <rdtsang@...> wrote:
                >Hi Bob thanks for the tip, I order the plans from the wooden boat
                store.
                They suggest the Greg Rossel's Book "Building Small Boats", its
                seems good but I didn't read any other book. Here in Brazil,
                different from the EUA, we don't have much literature from this
                subject, I had to bought in the Amazon. I will search for the
                Chapell's book now . Thanks .

                Adaucto

                > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "gordocutter_1" <gordocutter_1@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I recently receive the plans for the Maid of Endor that I order,
                when
                > > I started studying the plans I faced my first problem, the
                table of

                > If your not using Howard Chappell's (sp?) book 'Boatbuilding',
                don't
                > build the boat. It has an excellent discussion on lofting not to
                > mention boatbuilding. You can probably get it on loan from your
                local
                > library.
                >
                > Bob

              • gordocutter_1
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "RF Wellington" <dukenali@...>
                  wrote:

                  It's sure helps Wellington, thank you very much for your tips
                  friend. I think I've been a little ambitious in build such a boat
                  like the Maid of Endor. But I'm fascinate with the lines of her and
                  the more I think about the idea in building her the more a like. I
                  will sure appreciate helps like this you provide in the process.
                  Thanks .

                  Adaucto

                  > All boat plans that I have ever seen or worked with are
                  dimensioned
                  > in: Feet, Inches, and Eights. That's The Rule !
                  >
                  > The last number is ALWAYS in eights of an inch (a 6 would really
                  mean
                  > 3/4")
                  >
                  > A dimension on the plan such as 8-7-4 would mean the dimension is
                  8
                  > feet, 7 inches, and 4 eights of an inch long (or 8 feet 7 1/2")
                  >
                  > An indication of + after the dimension indicates that the
                  dimension
                  > is 1/16 of an inch longer than indicated. An indication of -
                  after
                  > the dimension indicates that the actual dimension is 1/16 shorter
                  > than indicated.
                  >
                  > A dimension on the plan of 8-7-4+ would mean that the actual
                  > dimension is 8 feet, 7 and 9/16 inches long. Conversely a
                  dimension
                  > of 8-7-4- would indicate that the actual dimension is 8 feet, 7
                  and
                  > 7/16 inches long.
                  >
                  > I have never seen a boat plan dimensioned in tenths of an inch
                  such
                  > as 3.10 I do not know how much of an addition or a subtration the
                  +
                  > or the - would make in this case.
                  >
                  > The builder always has to use a little leeway, common sense, and
                  his
                  > eye. Make everything fair, fit properly, look correct and you
                  should
                  > have a fine craft. The most valuable tool, equipment, or
                  commodity
                  > any boat builder can have at his disposal is experience. That is
                  why
                  > most people recommend that your first building project should be
                  > something small where you can gain both experience and confidence,
                  > such as a dinghy.
                  >
                  > I hope this helps.
                  >
                  > Duke Wellington
                  >

                  > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@>
                  > wrote:

                  > 3.10³/²+,
                  > >
                  > > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
                  > >
                  > > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@)

                • gordocutter_1
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, EUGENE DIXON
                    <edalmatiandixon@...> wrote:
                    > Thanks for the tip Eugene! I will search the books!

                    > Lofting Problem: + or - , add or subtract !/16" usualy. but
                    go for a fair curve, no bumps or kinks.
                    > Try your public libray Reuel Parker --- "The New Cold-
                    Molded Boatbuilding or
                    > Buehlers Backyard Boat Building.
                    >
                    > gordocutter_1 <gordocutter_1@...> wrote:
                    > I recently receive the plans for the Maid of Endor that
                    I order, when
                    > I started studying the plans I faced my first problem, the table
                    of
                    > offsets has some numbers with the signal of addiction(+) and some
                    > with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or
                    3.10³/²+,
                    > if somebody can tell me what the signals means, I would really
                    > appreciate the help.
                    > I bought the Greg Rössel book "Building Small Boats" but there
                    > is no example of numbers like these using the signal of addition
                    or
                    > subtraction, although the book is very good in the part of
                    lofting.
                    > I think is obviously that is my first lofting and if there is any
                    tip
                    > of you folks, who have already pass by these problems I would
                    really
                    > appreciate the help. Thanks !

                  • gordocutter_1
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Don Douglas" <douglashome@...>
                      wrote:
                      > Thanks for the help Douglas, one of the numbers of the table for
                      example are 2.11¹/²+ that's exactly how is written.Somebody sad that
                      the plus and the minus are sixteenths, an others sad that those are
                      eights, but the plans that Ihave specified the dimensions in feet's
                      and inches, so at the end I just don't now were to go at all.

                      > The + sign means the actual measurement is a little over the
                      stated dimension and the - means it is a little less. So if the
                      measurement was 2 10 1/2+ then the actual measurement is a little
                      over 1/2". This would be easier to pick up if you gave us the
                      smallest fraction used. Let's say everything is in 1/4" increments,
                      then the +/- would take you to the +1/8 or -1/8" from the stated
                      point.

                      > Hope that helps
                      > Don Douglas

                    • gordocutter_1
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Aquiles Rösner
                        <aquiles.roesner@...> wrote:
                        >Thanks for the help Aquiles, it looks like we have controversial
                        info about that, some say that these are sixteenths, others says
                        what you are saying, I'm standing in the middle try to discovery
                        what it is. Thanks for the tip of the book I will search for it.

                        > > +,
                        > >
                        > > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
                        > >
                        > > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)
                        >
                        > An other important boock only about lofting is "Lofting" from
                        Allan H.
                        > Vaitses, published by WoodenBoat Publications, www.woodenboat.com
                        > Happy lofting
                        > Aquiles from Germany

                      • Don Douglas
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                          I have Rossel's book "Building Small Boats" plus "The Boatbuilder's Apprentice" and find a lot of good information from those two. But if you are going to build the Maid of Endor design, I suggest that you get (or steal) Chapelle's book since it is a benchmark of boat building and information that you will need. Also of good reference for the type of boat you are going to build are these two books: "How To Build A Wooden Boat" by David C. "Bud" McIntosh and "Details of Classic Boat Construction" by Larry Pardey. These two books along with Chapelle's "Boatbuilding" are the most reread books in my library. Also you might pick up these two for more details on lofting: "Lofting" by Allan H. Vaitses and "Mystic Seaport Boatshop Lofting Manual" by Barry Thomas and Chris Rawlings. They give some additional perspective on lofting but you can learn more than needed from Chapelle's chapter on Lofting in "Boatbuilding".

                          You and I are in the same boat so to speak with our choices of builds. I am going after Atkin's Perigee which is similar to Maid of Endor but about 3' shorter. And these are our first "real" boats!

                          Have fun building and don't worry about making mistakes and starting some part over. It is just a part of building.

                          Don Douglas

                        • gordocutter_1
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                            wrote:
                            >Thank you very much, Douglas for your help and attention, I'm right
                            now looking for the Chapelle's book (if I can't find it I'll be glad
                            to stele it ) and all of the others books that you listed, in
                            special the "Lofting" by Allan H. Vaitses.
                            It is great to hear that I not the only one getting in these
                            adventure in building a boat that requires so much knowledge for
                            building it. I will be glad in see and hearing any progress in your
                            boat.Good Luck !
                            By the way I saw the plans of Perigee in the Atkin's page and her
                            lines are very beautiful nice choice.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                              Yep, that should solve Adaucto's problem. While feet, inches and eighths
                              are the "rule" for offsets, some of the Atkin plans use feet and
                              fractional inches. In either case, + means add 1/16" and - means
                              substract 1/16". Thanks for looking at the plans and providing an
                              authoritative and concise answer, George.

                              It can't be stated often enough that all of the Atkin plans, except for a
                              few of the very simplest little boats, require complete lofting! That
                              doesn't mean just drawing the sections full-size; o, that way madness
                              lies, my friends! All three views: profile, plan and sections have to be
                              laid down and faired until they agree with each other. Anything less will
                              result in extra work later, at best, or mishapen atrocity, at worst.
                              <harumph>

                              If you don't have room to lay down the lines full size, then where are you
                              gonna find room to build the boat? But there are sometimes special
                              circumstances where there isn't room to loft full size. Don't use that as
                              an excuse to skip lofting altogether! Loft at 1/2 size, or what ever
                              convenient fraction will, fit -- as big as you can. But try as hard as you
                              can to do a proper lofting at full size. It's more accurate, and you can
                              make patterns directly from your lofting.

                              You'll thank yourself many times as you're building that you did a proper
                              job of lofting at the start.

                              On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 18:59:31 -0800, George C wrote:

                              > The gentlman that asked this question had several typos in the
                              > dimensions he listed. The example he gave 3.10 3/2+, is really 3-10 3/4
                              > +. The Maiden of Endor offsets are in feet, inches, fraction of an inch
                              > down to an eights with the +/- indicator for sixteenths.

                              Many a man has fallen in love with a girl in light so dim he
                              would not have chosen a suit by it. <Maurice Chevalier>
                            • alankornhauser
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                                One reason you have to loft hand-drawn plans is that the dimensions on
                                the table of offsets are scaled from the lines plan. The lines plan
                                for a 20' boat might be at the scale 1"=1'; for a larger boat the scale
                                could be smaller. The smallest division on a 1"=1' architect's scale
                                is 1/4", and designers figure that they can read to 1/2 of the smallest
                                division, or 1/8". 1/16" is less than the thickness of the pencil
                                line, so there's no point in writing 16ths. Anything that is not quite
                                on an even 1/8" is designated with a + or -, but the exact value is not
                                quantified.

                                I've found that some William Atkin tables of offsets in MotorBoating
                                articles have one or two gross errors that are clearly the result of
                                mis-scaling the drawings. I suppose he turned out some of those
                                designs on a pretty tight deadline and didn't have time for really
                                careful checking.
                              • Alan Boman
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 11, 2008
                                  Hi Folks,

                                  I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
                                  forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
                                  assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.

                                  I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
                                  anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
                                  Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of the
                                  boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that this
                                  will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
                                  Starboard.

                                  Has anybody any thoughts ?

                                  Alan.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 17, 2008
                                    Yep, you've got it figured out right, Alan. With a left-hand propeller
                                    angle the front of the engine off to starboard.

                                    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 03:32:18 -0700, Alan B wrote:

                                    > I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
                                    > forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
                                    > assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.
                                    >
                                    > I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
                                    > anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
                                    > Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of
                                    > the
                                    > boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that
                                    > this
                                    > will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
                                    > Starboard.

                                    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after
                                    tomorrow. <Mark Twain>
                                  • Alan Boman
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 17, 2008
                                      Thanks for that John!

                                      Another aspect that I am much less sure about is the shaft elevation.

                                      The engine I have would allow the shaft to be angled much nearer to the
                                      horizontal than Atkin specified and that would be good for efficiency I
                                      think (in theory at least). However, I wonder if the hull design relies on
                                      an element of lift from the down angled prop to ultimately provide level
                                      operation.

                                      Atkin apparently always said "don't modify anything" and I am very happy
                                      with that, but I am still curious..................

                                      What do people think ??

                                      Alan

                                      Yep, you've got it figured out right, Alan. With a left-hand propeller
                                      angle the front of the engine off to starboard.

                                      On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 03:32:18 -0700, Alan B wrote:

                                      > I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
                                      > forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
                                      > assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.
                                      >
                                      > I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
                                      > anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
                                      > Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of
                                      > the
                                      > boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that
                                      > this
                                      > will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
                                      > Starboard.

                                      Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after
                                      tomorrow. <Mark Twain>

                                      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links