Problem in the Lofting

  • gordocutter_1
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 31, 2008
      I recently receive the plans for the Maid of Endor that I order, when
      I started studying the plans I faced my first problem, the table of
      offsets has some numbers with the signal of addiction(+) and some
      with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or 3.10³/²+,
      if somebody can tell me what the signals means, I would really
      appreciate the help.
      I bought the Greg Rössel book "Building Small Boats" but there
      is no example of numbers like these using the signal of addition or
      subtraction, although the book is very good in the part of lofting.
      I think is obviously that is my first lofting and if there is any tip
      of you folks, who have already pass by these problems I would really
      appreciate the help. Thanks !
    • David Calloway
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 31, 2008
        3.2.1+ would be three feet, two inches, 1 eighth plus one sixteenth, or 3' 2"-3/16. 0.2.3- is two inches three eighths minus a sixteenth, or 2"-5/16. At least that's what I have done, and found it to work.

        David

        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 31, 2008
          Lofting Problem: + or - , add or subtract !/16" usualy. but go for a fair curve, no bumps or kinks.
          Try your public libray Reuel Parker --- "The New Cold-Molded Boatbuilding or
          Buehlers Backyard Boat Building.

          gordocutter_1 <gordocutter_1@...> wrote:
          I recently receive the plans for the Maid of Endor that I order, when
          I started studying the plans I faced my first problem, the table of
          offsets has some numbers with the signal of addiction(+) and some
          with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or 3.10³/²+,
          if somebody can tell me what the signals means, I would really
          appreciate the help.
          I bought the Greg Rössel book "Building Small Boats" but there
          is no example of numbers like these using the signal of addition or
          subtraction, although the book is very good in the part of lofting.
          I think is obviously that is my first lofting and if there is any tip
          of you folks, who have already pass by these problems I would really
          appreciate the help. Thanks !

        • Don Douglas
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 31, 2008
            The + sign means the actual measurement is a little over the stated dimension and the - means it is a little less. So if the measurement was 2 10 1/2+ then the actual measurement is a little over 1/2". This would be easier to pick up if you gave us the smallest fraction used. Let's say everything is in 1/4" increments, then the +/- would take you to the +1/8 or -1/8" from the stated point.

            Hope that helps
            Don Douglas

            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 31, 2008
              Finally, one I can answer. The plus (+) and minus (-) are sixteenth's
              (1/16") either added to or subtracted from the rest of the number.
              They use both so the adjacent fraction can be simpler (ie "1/2+"
              instead of "5/8-")

              --
              Regards,
              RonB
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "gordocutter_1" <gordocutter_1@...>
                wrote:

                > I recently receive the plans for the Maid of Endor that I order, when
                > I started studying the plans I faced my first problem, the table of

                If your not using Howard Chappell's (sp?) book 'Boatbuilding', don't
                build the boat. It has an excellent discussion on lofting not to
                mention boatbuilding. You can probably get it on loan from your local
                library.

                Bob
              • gordocutter_1
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Butterfield"
                  <ron.butterfield@...> wrote:
                  >Thanks very much for help me friend, it was very handful for me,
                  I'm a little lost in this stage so any kind of help will be very
                  useful. Here in Brazil we don't have much people to record and ask
                  for help. Is a controversy, we have beautiful shores, bays and
                  beaches, warm waters and a huge coast but we don't have a big
                  community of sailors and amateur boat builders that you have there
                  in the EUA, what a shame.

                  Best regards,
                  Adaucto Mello

                  > Finally, one I can answer. The plus (+) and minus (-) are
                  sixteenth's
                  > (1/16") either added to or subtracted from the rest of the number.
                  > They use both so the adjacent fraction can be simpler (ie "1/2+"
                  > instead of "5/8-")
                  >
                  > On Jan 31, 2008 7:35 PM, gordocutter_1 <gordocutter_1@...> wrote:
                  > > the table of
                  > > offsets has some numbers with the signal of addition(+) and some
                  > > with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or
                  3.10³/²+,
                  > > if somebody can tell me what the signals means, I would really
                  > > appreciate the help.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Regards,
                  > RonB

                • Chris Kottaridis
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 1, 2008
                    On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 21:38 -0500, Ron Butterfield wrote:

                    > > with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or 3.10³/²+,

                    the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???

                    Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)
                  • RF Wellington
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 2, 2008
                      All boat plans that I have ever seen or worked with are dimensioned
                      in: Feet, Inches, and Eights. That's The Rule !

                      The last number is ALWAYS in eights of an inch (a 6 would really mean
                      3/4")

                      A dimension on the plan such as 8-7-4 would mean the dimension is 8
                      feet, 7 inches, and 4 eights of an inch long (or 8 feet 7 1/2")

                      An indication of + after the dimension indicates that the dimension
                      is 1/16 of an inch longer than indicated. An indication of - after
                      the dimension indicates that the actual dimension is 1/16 shorter
                      than indicated.

                      A dimension on the plan of 8-7-4+ would mean that the actual
                      dimension is 8 feet, 7 and 9/16 inches long. Conversely a dimension
                      of 8-7-4- would indicate that the actual dimension is 8 feet, 7 and
                      7/16 inches long.

                      I have never seen a boat plan dimensioned in tenths of an inch such
                      as 3.10 I do not know how much of an addition or a subtration the +
                      or the - would make in this case.

                      The builder always has to use a little leeway, common sense, and his
                      eye. Make everything fair, fit properly, look correct and you should
                      have a fine craft. The most valuable tool, equipment, or commodity
                      any boat builder can have at his disposal is experience. That is why
                      most people recommend that your first building project should be
                      something small where you can gain both experience and confidence,
                      such as a dinghy.

                      I hope this helps.

                      Duke Wellington

                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...>
                      wrote:

                      > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 21:38 -0500, Ron Butterfield wrote:
                      >
                      > > > with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or
                      3.10³/²+,

                      > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
                      >
                      > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)

                    • Aquiles Rösner
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 2, 2008
                        Am Freitag, den 01.02.2008, 16:08 -0700 schrieb Chris Kottaridis:

                        > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 21:38 -0500, Ron Butterfield wrote:
                        >
                        > > > with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or 3.10³/²
                        > +,
                        >
                        > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
                        >
                        > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)

                        An other important boock only about lofting is "Lofting" from Allan H.
                        Vaitses, published by WoodenBoat Publications, www.woodenboat.com
                        Happy lofting
                        Aquiles from Germany

                      • rdtsang1953
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 2, 2008
                          I would have to agree on the ft.-inches-eighths in most cases. If you
                          read the classics, Chappelle or Herreshof. I had read these and
                          consumed the type and bought all the right measuring tools before my
                          plans arrived from New Zealand. They were metric!!!

                          There are no absolutes in life!

                          bob

                          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "RF Wellington" <dukenali@...> wrote:

                          > All boat plans that I have ever seen or worked with are dimensioned
                          > in: Feet, Inches, and Eights. That's The Rule !
                          >
                          > The last number is ALWAYS in eights of an inch (a 6 would really mean
                          > 3/4")
                          >
                          > A dimension on the plan such as 8-7-4 would mean the dimension is 8
                          > feet, 7 inches, and 4 eights of an inch long (or 8 feet 7 1/2")
                          >
                          > An indication of + after the dimension indicates that the dimension
                          > is 1/16 of an inch longer than indicated. An indication of - after
                          > the dimension indicates that the actual dimension is 1/16 shorter
                          > than indicated.
                          >
                          > A dimension on the plan of 8-7-4+ would mean that the actual
                          > dimension is 8 feet, 7 and 9/16 inches long. Conversely a dimension
                          > of 8-7-4- would indicate that the actual dimension is 8 feet, 7 and
                          > 7/16 inches long.
                          >
                          > I have never seen a boat plan dimensioned in tenths of an inch such
                          > as 3.10 I do not know how much of an addition or a subtration the +
                          > or the - would make in this case.
                          >
                          > The builder always has to use a little leeway, common sense, and his
                          > eye. Make everything fair, fit properly, look correct and you should
                          > have a fine craft. The most valuable tool, equipment, or commodity
                          > any boat builder can have at his disposal is experience. That is why
                          > most people recommend that your first building project should be
                          > something small where you can gain both experience and confidence,
                          > such as a dinghy.
                          >
                          > I hope this helps.
                          >
                          > Duke Wellington
                          >

                          > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@>
                          > wrote:

                          > 3.10³/²+,
                          > >
                          > > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
                          > >
                          > > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@)

                        • George C
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 2, 2008
                            The gentlman that asked this question had several typos in the dimensions he listed. The example he gave 3.10 3/2+, is really 3-10 3/4 +. The Maiden of Endor offsets are in feet, inches, fraction of an inch down to an eights with the +/- indicator for sixteenths.

                            wrote:

                            > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 21:38 -0500, Ron Butterfield wrote:

                            > > > with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or

                            3.10³/²+,

                            > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???

                            > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@.. .)

                            <!--

                            #ygrp-mkp{
                            #ygrp-mkp hr{
                            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                            #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                            #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                            margin-bottom:10px;}
                            #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                            padding:0 0;}
                            #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                            color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                            -->

                            <!--

                            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                            font-family:Arial;}
                            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                            margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                            -->

                            <!--

                            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                            #ygrp-text{
                            font-family:Georgia;
                            }
                            #ygrp-text p{
                            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                            font-family:Arial;
                            clear:both;}
                            #ygrp-vitnav{
                            #ygrp-vitnav a{
                            padding:0 1px;}
                            #ygrp-actbar{
                            #ygrp-actbar .left{
                            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                            #ygrp-grft{
                            #ygrp-ft{
                            padding:5px 0;
                            }
                            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                            padding-bottom:10px;}

                            #ygrp-vital{
                            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                            #ygrp-vital ul{
                            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                            #ygrp-vital ul li{
                            }
                            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                            font-weight:bold;}
                            #ygrp-vital a{
                            text-decoration:none;}

                            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                            text-decoration:underline;}

                            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                            #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                            padding:8px 0;}
                            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                            text-decoration:none;}
                            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                            text-decoration:underline;}
                            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                            margin:0;}
                            o{font-size:0;}
                            .MsoNormal{
                            margin:0 0 0 0;}
                            #ygrp-text tt{
                            font-size:120%;}
                            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                            .replbq{margin:4;}
                            -->

                          • Chris Kottaridis
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                              On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 18:59 -0800, George C wrote:
                              > The example he gave 3.10 3/2+, is really 3-10 3/4 +.

                              Ahhh, That makes more sense.

                              Thanks
                              Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)
                            • gordocutter_1
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "rdtsang1953" <rdtsang@...> wrote:
                                >Hi Bob thanks for the tip, I order the plans from the wooden boat
                                store.
                                They suggest the Greg Rossel's Book "Building Small Boats", its
                                seems good but I didn't read any other book. Here in Brazil,
                                different from the EUA, we don't have much literature from this
                                subject, I had to bought in the Amazon. I will search for the
                                Chapell's book now . Thanks .

                                Adaucto

                                > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "gordocutter_1" <gordocutter_1@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I recently receive the plans for the Maid of Endor that I order,
                                when
                                > > I started studying the plans I faced my first problem, the
                                table of

                                > If your not using Howard Chappell's (sp?) book 'Boatbuilding',
                                don't
                                > build the boat. It has an excellent discussion on lofting not to
                                > mention boatbuilding. You can probably get it on loan from your
                                local
                                > library.
                                >
                                > Bob

                              • gordocutter_1
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "RF Wellington" <dukenali@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  It's sure helps Wellington, thank you very much for your tips
                                  friend. I think I've been a little ambitious in build such a boat
                                  like the Maid of Endor. But I'm fascinate with the lines of her and
                                  the more I think about the idea in building her the more a like. I
                                  will sure appreciate helps like this you provide in the process.
                                  Thanks .

                                  Adaucto

                                  > All boat plans that I have ever seen or worked with are
                                  dimensioned
                                  > in: Feet, Inches, and Eights. That's The Rule !
                                  >
                                  > The last number is ALWAYS in eights of an inch (a 6 would really
                                  mean
                                  > 3/4")
                                  >
                                  > A dimension on the plan such as 8-7-4 would mean the dimension is
                                  8
                                  > feet, 7 inches, and 4 eights of an inch long (or 8 feet 7 1/2")
                                  >
                                  > An indication of + after the dimension indicates that the
                                  dimension
                                  > is 1/16 of an inch longer than indicated. An indication of -
                                  after
                                  > the dimension indicates that the actual dimension is 1/16 shorter
                                  > than indicated.
                                  >
                                  > A dimension on the plan of 8-7-4+ would mean that the actual
                                  > dimension is 8 feet, 7 and 9/16 inches long. Conversely a
                                  dimension
                                  > of 8-7-4- would indicate that the actual dimension is 8 feet, 7
                                  and
                                  > 7/16 inches long.
                                  >
                                  > I have never seen a boat plan dimensioned in tenths of an inch
                                  such
                                  > as 3.10 I do not know how much of an addition or a subtration the
                                  +
                                  > or the - would make in this case.
                                  >
                                  > The builder always has to use a little leeway, common sense, and
                                  his
                                  > eye. Make everything fair, fit properly, look correct and you
                                  should
                                  > have a fine craft. The most valuable tool, equipment, or
                                  commodity
                                  > any boat builder can have at his disposal is experience. That is
                                  why
                                  > most people recommend that your first building project should be
                                  > something small where you can gain both experience and confidence,
                                  > such as a dinghy.
                                  >
                                  > I hope this helps.
                                  >
                                  > Duke Wellington
                                  >

                                  > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@>
                                  > wrote:

                                  > 3.10³/²+,
                                  > >
                                  > > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
                                  > >
                                  > > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@)

                                • gordocutter_1
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, EUGENE DIXON
                                    <edalmatiandixon@...> wrote:
                                    > Thanks for the tip Eugene! I will search the books!

                                    > Lofting Problem: + or - , add or subtract !/16" usualy. but
                                    go for a fair curve, no bumps or kinks.
                                    > Try your public libray Reuel Parker --- "The New Cold-
                                    Molded Boatbuilding or
                                    > Buehlers Backyard Boat Building.
                                    >
                                    > gordocutter_1 <gordocutter_1@...> wrote:
                                    > I recently receive the plans for the Maid of Endor that
                                    I order, when
                                    > I started studying the plans I faced my first problem, the table
                                    of
                                    > offsets has some numbers with the signal of addiction(+) and some
                                    > with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or
                                    3.10³/²+,
                                    > if somebody can tell me what the signals means, I would really
                                    > appreciate the help.
                                    > I bought the Greg Rössel book "Building Small Boats" but there
                                    > is no example of numbers like these using the signal of addition
                                    or
                                    > subtraction, although the book is very good in the part of
                                    lofting.
                                    > I think is obviously that is my first lofting and if there is any
                                    tip
                                    > of you folks, who have already pass by these problems I would
                                    really
                                    > appreciate the help. Thanks !

                                  • gordocutter_1
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Don Douglas" <douglashome@...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > Thanks for the help Douglas, one of the numbers of the table for
                                      example are 2.11¹/²+ that's exactly how is written.Somebody sad that
                                      the plus and the minus are sixteenths, an others sad that those are
                                      eights, but the plans that Ihave specified the dimensions in feet's
                                      and inches, so at the end I just don't now were to go at all.

                                      > The + sign means the actual measurement is a little over the
                                      stated dimension and the - means it is a little less. So if the
                                      measurement was 2 10 1/2+ then the actual measurement is a little
                                      over 1/2". This would be easier to pick up if you gave us the
                                      smallest fraction used. Let's say everything is in 1/4" increments,
                                      then the +/- would take you to the +1/8 or -1/8" from the stated
                                      point.

                                      > Hope that helps
                                      > Don Douglas

                                    • gordocutter_1
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Aquiles Rösner
                                        <aquiles.roesner@...> wrote:
                                        >Thanks for the help Aquiles, it looks like we have controversial
                                        info about that, some say that these are sixteenths, others says
                                        what you are saying, I'm standing in the middle try to discovery
                                        what it is. Thanks for the tip of the book I will search for it.

                                        > > +,
                                        > >
                                        > > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
                                        > >
                                        > > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)
                                        >
                                        > An other important boock only about lofting is "Lofting" from
                                        Allan H.
                                        > Vaitses, published by WoodenBoat Publications, www.woodenboat.com
                                        > Happy lofting
                                        > Aquiles from Germany

                                      • Don Douglas
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                          I have Rossel's book "Building Small Boats" plus "The Boatbuilder's Apprentice" and find a lot of good information from those two. But if you are going to build the Maid of Endor design, I suggest that you get (or steal) Chapelle's book since it is a benchmark of boat building and information that you will need. Also of good reference for the type of boat you are going to build are these two books: "How To Build A Wooden Boat" by David C. "Bud" McIntosh and "Details of Classic Boat Construction" by Larry Pardey. These two books along with Chapelle's "Boatbuilding" are the most reread books in my library. Also you might pick up these two for more details on lofting: "Lofting" by Allan H. Vaitses and "Mystic Seaport Boatshop Lofting Manual" by Barry Thomas and Chris Rawlings. They give some additional perspective on lofting but you can learn more than needed from Chapelle's chapter on Lofting in "Boatbuilding".

                                          You and I are in the same boat so to speak with our choices of builds. I am going after Atkin's Perigee which is similar to Maid of Endor but about 3' shorter. And these are our first "real" boats!

                                          Have fun building and don't worry about making mistakes and starting some part over. It is just a part of building.

                                          Don Douglas

                                        • gordocutter_1
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                            wrote:
                                            >Thank you very much, Douglas for your help and attention, I'm right
                                            now looking for the Chapelle's book (if I can't find it I'll be glad
                                            to stele it ) and all of the others books that you listed, in
                                            special the "Lofting" by Allan H. Vaitses.
                                            It is great to hear that I not the only one getting in these
                                            adventure in building a boat that requires so much knowledge for
                                            building it. I will be glad in see and hearing any progress in your
                                            boat.Good Luck !
                                            By the way I saw the plans of Perigee in the Atkin's page and her
                                            lines are very beautiful nice choice.

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 4, 2008
                                              Yep, that should solve Adaucto's problem. While feet, inches and eighths
                                              are the "rule" for offsets, some of the Atkin plans use feet and
                                              fractional inches. In either case, + means add 1/16" and - means
                                              substract 1/16". Thanks for looking at the plans and providing an
                                              authoritative and concise answer, George.

                                              It can't be stated often enough that all of the Atkin plans, except for a
                                              few of the very simplest little boats, require complete lofting! That
                                              doesn't mean just drawing the sections full-size; o, that way madness
                                              lies, my friends! All three views: profile, plan and sections have to be
                                              laid down and faired until they agree with each other. Anything less will
                                              result in extra work later, at best, or mishapen atrocity, at worst.
                                              <harumph>

                                              If you don't have room to lay down the lines full size, then where are you
                                              gonna find room to build the boat? But there are sometimes special
                                              circumstances where there isn't room to loft full size. Don't use that as
                                              an excuse to skip lofting altogether! Loft at 1/2 size, or what ever
                                              convenient fraction will, fit -- as big as you can. But try as hard as you
                                              can to do a proper lofting at full size. It's more accurate, and you can
                                              make patterns directly from your lofting.

                                              You'll thank yourself many times as you're building that you did a proper
                                              job of lofting at the start.

                                              On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 18:59:31 -0800, George C wrote:

                                              > The gentlman that asked this question had several typos in the
                                              > dimensions he listed. The example he gave 3.10 3/2+, is really 3-10 3/4
                                              > +. The Maiden of Endor offsets are in feet, inches, fraction of an inch
                                              > down to an eights with the +/- indicator for sixteenths.

                                              Many a man has fallen in love with a girl in light so dim he
                                              would not have chosen a suit by it. <Maurice Chevalier>
                                            • alankornhauser
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 5, 2008
                                                One reason you have to loft hand-drawn plans is that the dimensions on
                                                the table of offsets are scaled from the lines plan. The lines plan
                                                for a 20' boat might be at the scale 1"=1'; for a larger boat the scale
                                                could be smaller. The smallest division on a 1"=1' architect's scale
                                                is 1/4", and designers figure that they can read to 1/2 of the smallest
                                                division, or 1/8". 1/16" is less than the thickness of the pencil
                                                line, so there's no point in writing 16ths. Anything that is not quite
                                                on an even 1/8" is designated with a + or -, but the exact value is not
                                                quantified.

                                                I've found that some William Atkin tables of offsets in MotorBoating
                                                articles have one or two gross errors that are clearly the result of
                                                mis-scaling the drawings. I suppose he turned out some of those
                                                designs on a pretty tight deadline and didn't have time for really
                                                careful checking.
                                              • Alan Boman
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Mar 11, 2008
                                                  Hi Folks,

                                                  I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
                                                  forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
                                                  assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.

                                                  I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
                                                  anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
                                                  Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of the
                                                  boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that this
                                                  will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
                                                  Starboard.

                                                  Has anybody any thoughts ?

                                                  Alan.

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Mar 17, 2008
                                                    Yep, you've got it figured out right, Alan. With a left-hand propeller
                                                    angle the front of the engine off to starboard.

                                                    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 03:32:18 -0700, Alan B wrote:

                                                    > I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
                                                    > forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
                                                    > assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.
                                                    >
                                                    > I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
                                                    > anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
                                                    > Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of
                                                    > the
                                                    > boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that
                                                    > this
                                                    > will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
                                                    > Starboard.

                                                    Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after
                                                    tomorrow. <Mark Twain>
                                                  • Alan Boman
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Mar 17, 2008
                                                      Thanks for that John!

                                                      Another aspect that I am much less sure about is the shaft elevation.

                                                      The engine I have would allow the shaft to be angled much nearer to the
                                                      horizontal than Atkin specified and that would be good for efficiency I
                                                      think (in theory at least). However, I wonder if the hull design relies on
                                                      an element of lift from the down angled prop to ultimately provide level
                                                      operation.

                                                      Atkin apparently always said "don't modify anything" and I am very happy
                                                      with that, but I am still curious..................

                                                      What do people think ??

                                                      Alan

                                                      Yep, you've got it figured out right, Alan. With a left-hand propeller
                                                      angle the front of the engine off to starboard.

                                                      On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 03:32:18 -0700, Alan B wrote:

                                                      > I'm currently lofting a set of "River Belle" plans and notice that the
                                                      > forward end of the engine centre line is angled laterally off to Port. I
                                                      > assume this has been done to offset "prop walk" effects.
                                                      >
                                                      > I have just acquired a suitable engine & gearbox which rotates
                                                      > anti-clockwise when viewed from astern and will therefore require a Left
                                                      > Hand propeller I think. Whilst no comment is made in the description of
                                                      > the
                                                      > boat about propeller rotation or the engine offset, I'm assuming that
                                                      > this
                                                      > will then require the offset of the engine centreline to be changed to
                                                      > Starboard.

                                                      Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after
                                                      tomorrow. <Mark Twain>

                                                      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                                                      Yahoo! Groups Links