Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Twinkle Twinkle little boat

  • Ronald Fossum
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
      Well, since we're talking a planing (or semi-planing) boat and somewhere in the same time period as RM, the 15HP RM engine was pegged by Bill A at about 340# & 91ci. As to the smaller engines, I remember in the late 40s that 16' inboards in the Puget Sound (rental boats at "resorts") usually had a 2 or 3HP Briggs & Stratton or equivalent (Reinell and Marysville Boat Works both used that) and they moved along quite nicely at 6 or so knots (nobody really measured that sort of thing back then - it just got you there fast enough or it didn't).

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 4, 2008
        > I would think the tunnel would force the bow
        > down in acceleration like on Mr. Whites RM.

        Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it having as much downward thrust as the
        Atkin tunnel-stern boats.

        The tunnel-sterns use the entire width of the boat to direct the water
        downward. By directing so much more water downward, they can use far
        less hook in the aft hull bottom than I see in Twinkle's tunnel
        section ... and I think the less hook used to direct water downward,
        the more fuel efficient the boat will be.

        Do you need a tunnel hull for propeller clearance where you're planning
        to use the boat?

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com
      • rljssn
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 6, 2008
          The tunnel boat is for the super shallow water we have here. We are in
          drought level four here in Georgia and the water levels are so low most
          boats are seeing very little use because of the danger to exposed
          stumps. This large man made lake is notorious for eating props (even at
          high water levels). The shallow draft on Twinkle along with the
          efficient four stroke engine might work very nice in these conditions.
          I'm not tournament bass fishing so I don't need alot of speed.

          I understand about the Rescue Minor's tunnel. In the article on Twinkle
          it is mentioned. I have studied all the tunnel boats but like this one
          for the simplicity and size.

          I'm waiting for Michigan Wheel to get back to me on the prop size.
          I'll let everyone know what they recommend.

          thanks,
          Russ