Re: Tresarus, Fore An' Aft

  • jfrodigh
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "elaina.mccartney"
      <elaina.mccartney@...> wrote:

      > Hi--I'm the current owner of Tresarus, built after the Fore An' Aft in
      > the late 50s by Russell Dyer. My brother Mike owned and sailed
      > Tresarus for thousands of miles between Massachusetts and Maine for
      > about 15 years before I took over in 2003. Her home port is now
      > Ithaca, NY on Cayuga Lake, but I hope to get her back to salt water
      > eventually. I've been doing some restoration to keep her healthy, and
      > am interested in copies of sketches and plans. Also interested in
      > photographs that anyone might have of Tresarus. --Elaina McCartney

      Hello Elaina, I too have a Fore an Aft, it is pictured on Pat Atkins
      site under Fore an Aft, and is the boat with scarlet sails, reason
      being the Scarlet Queen, later changed to Pilgrim. I am restoring her
      hopefully to a very good state. I saw the pictures of Tresarus on
      Flickr, I was on my knees with delight! My restoration is almost a
      duplicate of what has been done to your boat. I will be working the
      Wooden Boat Show with Pat at the Atkin Boat plan booth and would love
      to post some of your pictures.

      I will contact you again, happy New Year, best wishes, John
    • Elaina McCartney
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007
        Hi John,
        I noticed those gorgeous pictures of Scarlet Queen on the Atkin Fore
        An' Aft web page, love those red sails. Tresarus' stem and knee
        replacement is happening as we speak, and going very well. If you
        are doing something similar, it would be great to see pictures. About
        five years ago she had some transom work done, and in both that
        project and this one, a bit of the strip planking redone here and
        there. She's ~50 years old and still thriving. I expect her next
        "request" will be new covering boards--presently they're structurally
        sound where it counts (e.g. at the running backstays) but there are a
        couple spots that looks like they'll want attention soon. I'd like
        to make the WoodenBoat show one of these years, and if I do will
        definitely look for you and Pat!

        Happy New Year,
        Elaina

        >--- In
        ><mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com>AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com,
        >"elaina.mccartney"
        ><elaina.mccartney@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi--I'm the current owner of Tresarus, built after the Fore An' Aft in
        >> the late 50s by Russell Dyer. My brother Mike owned and sailed
        >> Tresarus for thousands of miles between Massachusetts and Maine for
        >> about 15 years before I took over in 2003. Her home port is now
        >> Ithaca, NY on Cayuga Lake, but I hope to get her back to salt water
        >> eventually. I've been doing some restoration to keep her healthy, and
        >> am interested in copies of sketches and plans. Also interested in
        >> photographs that anyone might have of Tresarus. --Elaina McCartney
        >>
        >Hello Elaina, I too have a Fore an Aft, it is pictured on Pat Atkins
        >site under Fore an Aft, and is the boat with scarlet sails, reason
        >being the Scarlet Queen, later changed to Pilgrim. I am restoring her
        >hopefully to a very good state. I saw the pictures of Tresarus on
        >Flickr, I was on my knees with delight! My restoration is almost a
        >duplicate of what has been done to your boat. I will be working the
        >Wooden Boat Show with Pat at the Atkin Boat plan booth and would love
        >to post some of your pictures.
        >
        >I will contact you again, happy New Year, best wishes, John

      • dyerstraits101
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 20, 2008
          Hi Elaina, My grandfather was Russell Dyer whom built the Tresarus. I
          am glad to hear she is still around. My dad has some pictures and at
          least one magazine article on her. I will gather these up and send
          them to you if you are interested. At some point it would be great to
          see her again
          Dennis Dyer

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 21, 2008
            Hi Dennis, Wonderful to hear from you! I would be very interested in
            the pictures. Tresarus is having some stem work done this winter.
            She's in good shape. I bought the September 1959 issue of Motor
            Boating Magazine at a garage sale this year, that's the issue with
            the article about your grandfather. Also got a copy of the plans
            from Pat Atkin. I'd love to have you see Tresarus sometime, let's
            keep in touch.

            Elaina