Seabright Skiffs, again

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2007
      I am wondering about the evolution of the atkins' seabright skiffs,
      especially the open utility models like Everhope and Rescue Miner. It
      seems that aproximately after WWII Wm. Atkin prefered the V bottom
      design, like RM, Nibble, Sallie Hyde, etc., to the earlier, more
      traditional round bildge models like Everhope and Sunray. I wonder if
      this was because the hard chine hulls proved to be better, or if they
      were just easier to build.
      Andrew Harvey
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2007
        Hi Andrew,

        It may be that the introduction of plywood as a reliable boat building
        material, and the availability of a variety of new and reliable inboard
        engines, influenced the design evolution you recognized. Then again, I
        also believe there are two distinctly different types of Seabright
        skiffs in the Atkin collection ...

        When I first began to research these boats I learned that I had to be
        careful to distinguish between their original Seabright skiffs and the
        ones Atkin terms "tunnel-stern" Seabright skiffs. These are two
        different boats in my opinion. I think the tunnel-stern boats were
        designed for low-end planing speeds rather than displacement speeds so
        they need a wide planing surface aft, and that's where the tunnel-stern
        came from.

        The latest (and theoretically the most refined) of the smaller Seabright
        skiffs designed by William Atkin is the tunnel-stern model
        called "Shoals Runner". Lots of people appear to be more interested in
        Rescue Minor, but there are subtle yet substantial differences in these
        two boats when you compare their lines, and I think Shoals Runner is
        more refined and probably resolves some of the issues reported by
        Rescue Minor users.

        I'm told that John Atkin continued to design tunnel-stern Seabright
        skiffs after his father's death, but it seems John's designs were much
        larger and heavier than his father's boats -- more like cruisers than
        utilities or runabouts -- and their bottom geometry is different
        because of their size, weight and lower top speeds.

        These boats are very interesting -- all of them. If the reports are
        true it seems they offer a number of desirable features that can seldom
        be found in the same combination in the popular plastic outboard
        powered boats so many people seem to want to buy these days.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com