Re: Lofting Atkin designs

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2007
      Welcome aboard, Len.
      I'm a big fan of the Spermacetti design. Whatever you decide to do
      with the superstructure, I hope you manage to keep some of the
      character of the boat.
      When I lofted Tom Davin (which is not a round bottom boat), I too
      found a fair number of 1/4" discrepencies between the lines drawing
      and the table of offsets. I think they just expected you to trust your
      batten.

      Andrew Harvey

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Len Schmitt <schmittlen@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I've been following these discussions for a while but this is my
      first posting. The problems with lofting Atkins plans hit home and I
      had to jump in.

      > I wanted to build a Sea Bright skiff type cabin cruiser and found
      that William Atkins seems to have been the only one to have worked
      with this form. I decided on Naiad only to find out from Mrs. Atkins
      that these plans were no longer available. I settled on Spermacetti
      for a hull form and the designer left me licence to modify the cabin
      structure and accomodations.

      > I plan on cold-molding the boat. In lofting the sections for the
      mold patterns I ran into the same problems Don did with the diagonals.
      I decided to plot all the points and let the batten pick up the
      fairest line. I settled on the same criteria for all stations, both
      sides of the hull. So far its looking pretty good. Right now the
      weather is putting a cramp in my building rate, but I'm managing some
      sub-assemblies in the basement.