Lofting Atkin designs

  • Len Schmitt
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2007
      Hi folks,

      I've been following these discussions for a while but this is my first posting. The problems with lofting Atkins plans hit home and I had to jump in.

      I wanted to build a Sea Bright skiff type cabin cruiser and found that William Atkins seems to have been the only one to have worked with this form. I decided on Naiad only to find out from Mrs. Atkins that these plans were no longer available. I settled on Spermacetti for a hull form and the designer left me licence to modify the cabin structure and accomodations.

      I plan on cold-molding the boat. In lofting the sections for the mold patterns I ran into the same problems Don did with the diagonals. I decided to plot all the points and let the batten pick up the fairest line. I settled on the same criteria for all stations, both sides of the hull. So far its looking pretty good. Right now the weather is putting a cramp in my building rate, but I'm managing some sub-assemblies in the basement.

      I hope this adds something.

      Len Schmitt

    • adharvey2
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2007
        Welcome aboard, Len.
        I'm a big fan of the Spermacetti design. Whatever you decide to do
        with the superstructure, I hope you manage to keep some of the
        character of the boat.
        When I lofted Tom Davin (which is not a round bottom boat), I too
        found a fair number of 1/4" discrepencies between the lines drawing
        and the table of offsets. I think they just expected you to trust your
        batten.

        Andrew Harvey