"River Belle" as a low speed cruiser

  • Alan Boman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2007
      Hi Folks,

      There was a lot of discussion earlier this year about the potential low
      speed performance of "River Belle" when running way below Hull Speed, but
      nothing seems to have been resolved.

      Has anyone given the design any more thought ? Or, better still, built one
      ? I'm interested in "River Belle" for solar/diesel electric power.

      "Mundoo III" built by Duckflat here in Australia is a very similar size and
      hull design to "River Belle" except for its beam and the stern tunnel, but
      at least we do have some efficiency figures for it. It has a 6 hp (15 hp
      peak) ETek electric motor that gives 4-5 km/h at 1kW, 7-8 km/h at 2 kW, and
      9.5 km/h at 4 kW. The solar panels give 1100W on a sunny day, so that if
      you keep the speed down to 5 km/h, it will cruise indefinitely. Now that's
      probably not what you want to do, but it's something to think about isn't it
      ?.

      Has anyone any experience with this kind of low speed cruising ? How would
      "River Belle" go in this application ?

      Alan