Tresarus, Fore An' Aft

  • elaina.mccartney
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 6, 2007
      Hi--I'm the current owner of Tresarus, built after the Fore An' Aft in
      the late 50s by Russell Dyer. My brother Mike owned and sailed
      Tresarus for thousands of miles between Massachusetts and Maine for
      about 15 years before I took over in 2003. Her home port is now
      Ithaca, NY on Cayuga Lake, but I hope to get her back to salt water
      eventually. I've been doing some restoration to keep her healthy, and
      am interested in copies of sketches and plans. Also interested in
      photographs that anyone might have of Tresarus. --Elaina McCartney
    • DirtSailor
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 6, 2007
        Is this the Tresarus your talking about?

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/tresarus/

        Looks like fun!

        Dirtsailor

        Hi--I'm the current owner of Tresarus, built after the Fore An' Aft in

        the late 50s by Russell Dyer. My brother Mike owned and sailed

        Tresarus for thousands of miles between Massachusetts and Maine for

        about 15 years before I took over in 2003. Her home port is now

        Ithaca, NY on Cayuga Lake, but I hope to get her back to salt water

        eventually. I've been doing some restoration to keep her healthy, and

        am interested in copies of sketches and plans. Also interested in

        photographs that anyone might have of Tresarus. --Elaina McCartney

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        ..bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        ..MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        ..replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 8, 2007
          Yes.

          >Is this the Tresarus your talking about?
          >
          ><http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/tresarus/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/tresarus/
          >
          >Looks like fun!
          >
          >Dirtsailor

        • jfrodigh
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "elaina.mccartney"
            <elaina.mccartney@...> wrote:

            > Hi--I'm the current owner of Tresarus, built after the Fore An' Aft in
            > the late 50s by Russell Dyer. My brother Mike owned and sailed
            > Tresarus for thousands of miles between Massachusetts and Maine for
            > about 15 years before I took over in 2003. Her home port is now
            > Ithaca, NY on Cayuga Lake, but I hope to get her back to salt water
            > eventually. I've been doing some restoration to keep her healthy, and
            > am interested in copies of sketches and plans. Also interested in
            > photographs that anyone might have of Tresarus. --Elaina McCartney

            Hello Elaina, I too have a Fore an Aft, it is pictured on Pat Atkins
            site under Fore an Aft, and is the boat with scarlet sails, reason
            being the Scarlet Queen, later changed to Pilgrim. I am restoring her
            hopefully to a very good state. I saw the pictures of Tresarus on
            Flickr, I was on my knees with delight! My restoration is almost a
            duplicate of what has been done to your boat. I will be working the
            Wooden Boat Show with Pat at the Atkin Boat plan booth and would love
            to post some of your pictures.

            I will contact you again, happy New Year, best wishes, John
          • Elaina McCartney
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 31, 2007
              Hi John,
              I noticed those gorgeous pictures of Scarlet Queen on the Atkin Fore
              An' Aft web page, love those red sails. Tresarus' stem and knee
              replacement is happening as we speak, and going very well. If you
              are doing something similar, it would be great to see pictures. About
              five years ago she had some transom work done, and in both that
              project and this one, a bit of the strip planking redone here and
              there. She's ~50 years old and still thriving. I expect her next
              "request" will be new covering boards--presently they're structurally
              sound where it counts (e.g. at the running backstays) but there are a
              couple spots that looks like they'll want attention soon. I'd like
              to make the WoodenBoat show one of these years, and if I do will
              definitely look for you and Pat!

              Happy New Year,
              Elaina

              >--- In
              ><mailto:AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com>AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com,
              >"elaina.mccartney"
              ><elaina.mccartney@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Hi--I'm the current owner of Tresarus, built after the Fore An' Aft in
              >> the late 50s by Russell Dyer. My brother Mike owned and sailed
              >> Tresarus for thousands of miles between Massachusetts and Maine for
              >> about 15 years before I took over in 2003. Her home port is now
              >> Ithaca, NY on Cayuga Lake, but I hope to get her back to salt water
              >> eventually. I've been doing some restoration to keep her healthy, and
              >> am interested in copies of sketches and plans. Also interested in
              >> photographs that anyone might have of Tresarus. --Elaina McCartney
              >>
              >Hello Elaina, I too have a Fore an Aft, it is pictured on Pat Atkins
              >site under Fore an Aft, and is the boat with scarlet sails, reason
              >being the Scarlet Queen, later changed to Pilgrim. I am restoring her
              >hopefully to a very good state. I saw the pictures of Tresarus on
              >Flickr, I was on my knees with delight! My restoration is almost a
              >duplicate of what has been done to your boat. I will be working the
              >Wooden Boat Show with Pat at the Atkin Boat plan booth and would love
              >to post some of your pictures.
              >
              >I will contact you again, happy New Year, best wishes, John

            • dyerstraits101
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 20, 2008
                Hi Elaina, My grandfather was Russell Dyer whom built the Tresarus. I
                am glad to hear she is still around. My dad has some pictures and at
                least one magazine article on her. I will gather these up and send
                them to you if you are interested. At some point it would be great to
                see her again
                Dennis Dyer

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 21, 2008
                  Hi Dennis, Wonderful to hear from you! I would be very interested in
                  the pictures. Tresarus is having some stem work done this winter.
                  She's in good shape. I bought the September 1959 issue of Motor
                  Boating Magazine at a garage sale this year, that's the issue with
                  the article about your grandfather. Also got a copy of the plans
                  from Pat Atkin. I'd love to have you see Tresarus sometime, let's
                  keep in touch.

                  Elaina