Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Little Effort modifications

  • clifford wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2007
      Yea I hadnt actualy seen that one , but Had the same Idea

      DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@...> wrote: "both of those ideas you mentioned came across my table while
      redesigning my 18 ft redwing, my solution,... in combination with a
      laminated roof is to hinge the cabin top in the front and canvass the
      sides so I can raise it when I need to and lower it when under way
      ,...dont know if that helps or not , just thought I would offer"

      Something along the lines like this maybe:

      http://tinyurl.com/yrebe2

      http://flickr.com/photos/dirtsailor2003/709299845/in/set-72157600631852916/

      This boat has been at several boat shows I have been at. Great idea and provides a nice space.

      Dirtsailor

    • EUGENE DIXON

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 25, 2007
          You've been doing some good thinking. The floors aren't structurally
          important, so there's a little bit more headroom. Eliminating the beams
          and laminating the roof is a good idea. There are a couple of tricks to
          gain headroom without raising the cabin sides. One is to make a large
          companionway hatch and be satisfied with 51" of headroom only under the
          hatch (that's why you make it big <g>). Another trick is to increase the
          crown of the cabin top. That'll give you more headroom on the centerline,
          but it camouflages the extra height of the cabin. It may even have less
          effective windage than a cabin with higher sides.

          Pop-top cabins, though less extreme than the one on the skiff Dirt showed
          us, have been used for a long time on sailing yachts on the Norfolk Broads
          in England. Searching around on the 'net for Broads yachts may lead you to
          inspiration.

          I forgot, what's that ideal engine you've got for Little Effort?

          On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:47:04 -0800, Andrew wrote:

          > I'm still kicking around the possibility of building Little Effort
          > I'd like to have at least 51" of room at the centerline from
          > cabin sole to the deck house beams so that I can step, rather than
          > crawl, into the cabin and be able to sit upright on the low seats
          > without hitting my head. As drawn the plans provide 45", so I need to
          > pickup at least 6" somehow.
          > Whatever amount I can't get some other way I'll have to gain by
          > raising the cabin roof, but I'd like to do as little of that as
          > possible. Maybe 2 - 3 inches at most. I don't want to spoil the
          > charactor, or performance, of the boat.
          > I have two additional ideas. One is ommitting 3 floors under the
          > cabin foot well. Like Russell R, Little Effort has a crossed planked
          > bottom with side frames but no bottom frames. Unlike the outboard
          > version, however, L.E. has floors and floor boards. This extra
          > structure certainly makes for a stiffer bottom which may be neccessary
          > because of the inboard installation. But the floors do not attach to
          > the sides of the boat in any way, they just act as beams to hold up
          > the floor boards. I think, if neccessry, I could regain some of the
          > lost stiffness by putting a cabin sole directly on the keelsons by
          > either cross planking or with plywood. Also I am counting on the added
          > srenghth of the sheet plywood bottom I'll be using to add rigidity to
          > the structure, as opposed to the original cross planking. In anycase I
          > would gain 1 to 1 1/2 in.
          > My second idea is to use a laminated veneer cabin roof, rather
          > than the beams and planking specified. Somewhere I read of sombody
          > doing this. 3 or 4 layers of 1/8 plywood epoxy laminated in the crown
          > specified, perhaps fiberglassed both sides, ought to make a fairly
          > rigid panel, which could save another 1 1/2".
          > That would leave 3" or so to be made up by raising the cabin top.

          If perfection were needed for friendship the world would be a
          wilderness for our love. <Thomas Jefferson>