28 ft Seabright Skiff Cruiser Hull Build?

  • allan.russell12
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2007
      Just received the plans to build my new boat by William Atkins,
      lapstrake construction traditionally. I intend to build her by strip
      planking with French Oak 19mm thick below the waterline and oregon 19mm
      above. The keel and deadwood to be in Jarrah. The whole hull surface
      then to be sheaved in glass fibre inside and out for strength and
      durability. Has anybody in the group had experience in building a
      similar vessel, and if possible have any results in displacement and
      how she handled at sea.
    • DirtSailor
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 24, 2007
        I have a strip planked canoe yawl. It is stripped with cedar, and sheathed with fiberglass on the exterior of the hull. The boat is very strong and has very few frames supporting the hull.

        The method that you are thinking about sounds like it would add considerable weight, and may not really be necessary. Having never seen the plans I can't really say, but it seems that one could just fiberglass the exterior and be fine. I also think that the oak is overkill, and will be hard to bend, but maybe not at 19mm (3/4"+/-). I would do away with the interior fiberglass and use only the pine, or even switch to cedar. Of course the best method would be to build her as designed.

        Pictures of my canoe yawl can be seen here:

        http://tinyurl.com/ytjug6

        http://flickr.com/photos/dirtsailor2003/sets/72157602014680763/

        Dirtsailor