Daysailer recommendations and more...

  • yojo18840
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2007
      I'd like to get some recommendations for my second boat (My first was a
      flat bottomed, lapstrake rowing skiff from Duck Trap and its purpose
      was to develop boatbuilding skills - lofting, steaming, cutting gains
      and bevels, plugging...)please.
      I'd like a traditionally built (backbone, no plywood, steam-bent
      frames...)day sailer between about 12 and 16 feet, designed for
      spirited performance with a traditional sail rig (sloop). I'd like a
      half deck and side decks and room to rig the cockpit for overnight stay
      for two. It will be trailered but a keel boat that has reasonably
      shallow draft would be fantastic and clear up more space for camping
      out on the floor. Waters will be the extreemly deep finger lakes which
      are rarely rougher than an east coast bay. Basically a very versatile
      little ship, from which to learn sailing and that will offer exciting
      performance that one would not outgrow.
      My other question pertains to plan detail of a typical Atkin set.
      Where do these plans fall in the range of details ofered the builder?
      Thanks in advance for all of your comments.
      Ed