Re: [AtkinBoats] Everhope Power?

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2004
      Unfortunately, there aren't any moderate power gasoline marine engines being
      made anymore. :o( There are lots of used Atomic Fours out there though, and
      you can even buy a remanufactured one ready to drop in. I think Atomic Fours
      are about 25 hp. There are some marine diesels in the 20-45 hp. range that
      should work well in Everhope, they're usually sold for auxiliary power in
      sailboats (often replacing Atomic Fours). Hugo Tyson wrote here a while back
      about his plan to get a modern diesel of about the same displacement as the
      antique engine called for by W. Atkin, and then running it below its rated
      rpm to produce about the same horsepower -- and less noise and vibration. A
      good plan. I think there may be possibilities in doing the same sort of
      thing with ome of those gas four-cylinder GM engines that used to come with
      a lot of I/Os. 140 cu. in. and rated at about 78 hp. at 4,400 rpm when
      mounted in a Chevrolet, if I remember right.

      On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:44:28 -0000, Dave wrote:
      > My Dad has had a set of Everhope plans in his draw or on his wall
      > for 30 years. Well, I've built my own powercat flats boat, and I've
      > built my own nutshell tender and the bug is still with me and the
      > Everhope looks grand for a Gulf Grouper Boat - out to about 20 miles
      > with three aboard.
      >
      > To get the maximum performance from the hull - W.A. says 45hp at
      > 3500rpm. Okay - what engine or engine/transimission would give you
      > that performance?

      When I think of the number of disagreeable people that I know have gone
      to a better world, I am sure hell won't be so bad at all. <Mark Twain>