Re: Perigee building will commence

  • ehrenherman
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 1941
      large fir timbers green or otherwise not a problem
      http://www.greatnorthernlumber.com/index.html I believe they have fir
      timbers up to 24x24xamileandahalf in ohio if I recall.
    • Don Douglas
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 29, 1941
        Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used them before? It is 1027 miles to their warehouse! But not much different than going to south Texas/Arkansas, etc. Think I will send them an email.

        Thanks,
        Don Douglas

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 29, 1941
          If you're willing to laminate the frames, you can laminate the backbone
          too, Don. It'd even have advantages if the boat is going to be trailered.
          People have reported failures over time with gluing white oak with epoxy,
          and also with some oily tropical hardwoods. The Gougeon brothers have a
          new epoxy that's supposed to work better with difficult woods, but it's
          probably still best to use woods you _know_ glue well with epoxy for
          laminated frame members. Mahogany and Douglas fir are among the strong
          woods that glue well with epoxy. There are really only a few woods that
          don't.

          On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:11:43 -0700, Don D wrote:

          > Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used them before? It is 1027 miles
          > to their warehouse! But not much different than going to south
          > Texas/Arkansas, etc. Think I will send them an email.
          > http://www.greatnorthernlumber.com/index.html I believe they have fir
          > timbers up to 24x24xamileandahalf in ohio if I recall.

          When I reflect upon the number of disagreeable people who I know
          have gone to a better world, I am moved to lead a different
          life. <Mark Twain>