Perigee building will commence

  • Don Douglas
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 17, 2007
      It has been awhile since I have replied or posted but now I have a
      question and need some help. Living in Colorado is beautiful but
      don't try to find much in the way of boat building wood here. I have
      3 wood suppliers here that I can get some stuff from: white oak,
      Douglas Fir, some tropical stuff etc, but nothing that I can use for
      my keel and deadwood. The Perigee plans spec out white oak for the
      keel backbone, deadwood, sternpost and stem, but try to find
      4"x16"x12' white oak in a state that does not have a single native
      oak tree! Atkin mentioned many times that he would use Southern
      Yellow Pine in place of white oak for these pieces but that does not
      grow here either. There is an alternate keel that John Atkin drew
      for this design that uses 3 pieces of oak with a pine spline joining
      the pieces to make the needed width and that is an option but none of
      my wood sources here can get 16/4 stock. 8/4 yes, but that is it.
      Any ideas where I can find +4" thick white oak or SYP up to 16" wide
      and 12' long?

      I will start the lofting this weekend and have been keeping busy
      melting wheel weights (425# so far, need 1400#) and making the gaff
      spar and wooden cleats. The cleats are from some Koa wood and the
      spar is vertical grain DF laminated together, gaff jaws and tumbler
      are white oak. I also have some Lyptus that I am making the parrel
      beads out of and a spar plane. Fun so far!

      Thanks,
      Don Douglas
      Colorado Springs
    • Ron Butterfield
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
        On 10/17/07, Don Douglas <douglashome@...> wrote:
        > Living in Colorado is beautiful but
        > don't try to find much in the way of boat building wood here.
        > Any ideas where I can find +4" thick white oak or SYP up to 16" wide
        > and 12' long?

        Here's a definite maybe if you don't mind paying the (probably hefty)
        trucking fees:
        http://hardwoodstore.com/lumber.html

        They are semi-local to me, and have been good to deal with. I haven't
        special-ordered anything from them yet, though.

        --
        Regards,
        RonB
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 22, 2007
          Thanks for the idea Ron. The "hefty" shipping fees are what I am trying to get around. I have found a promising site in Colorado that caters more to high custom furniture designers here in Colorado, but I am going to schedule a couple of road trip to check their two locations out. Here is the link. Check it out! They have quite a collection of woods and large sizes and large quantities.
          http://www.cswoods.com/index.php

          Thanks
          Don Douglas

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 23, 2007
            Don,

            I'm glad to hear that you are building perigee, it is a little boat that
            I've long admired. I live in Michigan and i wanted something I could trailer
            from here to Florida for some serious sailing in the Keys. Have you ever
            found any other pictures or reference to this boat? The only info I've ever
            found is on the Atkins site with the one picture. As you progress please let us
            know how it is going, I would love to see some picture of the interior. This
            boat is on my short list (perigee, little dipper, eric jr., and a couple
            others).

            Regards,

            Ben

            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 23, 2007
              The southern yellow pine Wm. Atkin was writing about is just about
              impossible to get ahold of nowadays. The SYP from plantations is another
              animal altogether. :o( Douglas fir has been used for backbones, but the
              heavy, old-growth fir for that is only a little bit easier to get than
              old-growth SYP. Many builders now use tropical hardwoods for keels and
              such. Some of them, like purpleheart, are relatively cheap and are
              supposed to be sustainably logged. The tropical woods are hard to work
              (ask the fellow I know who carved a "bread and butter" horseshoe stern for
              a big fishing boat out of purpleheart!) but strong and durable. Better
              than oak, SYP or Douglas fir, and maybe easier to get your hands on
              thousands of miles from salt water.

              The oak you'll need for Perigee's bent ribs will be a problem. What you'll
              want is _green_ oak -- pretty hard to come by in a state with no oak
              trees! Air-dried might work OK, but kiln dried is worthless for bending,
              and it seems like all the lumber dealers stock kiln-dried wood. :o(

              On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:27:50 -0700, Don D> wrote:

              Living in Colorado is beautiful but
              > don't try to find much in the way of boat building wood here. I have
              > 3 wood suppliers here that I can get some stuff from: white oak,
              > Douglas Fir, some tropical stuff etc, but nothing that I can use for
              > my keel and deadwood. The Perigee plans spec out white oak for the
              > keel backbone, deadwood, sternpost and stem, but try to find
              > 4"x16"x12' white oak in a state that does not have a single native
              > oak tree! Atkin mentioned many times that he would use Southern
              > Yellow Pine in place of white oak for these pieces but that does not
              > grow here either.

              One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous
              citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases
              which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for
              independence. <Charles A. Beard>
            • Don Douglas
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 23, 2007
                Thanks John,

                I had not thought much about some of the tropical hardwoods and will
                double check that option. One of the supplies of specialty woods here does
                carry purpleheart and I will check the price, but he said it is hard to get
                16/4 boards of anything. I have found another wood source in Colorado about
                100 miles south of me that has lots of white oak in wide boards but nothing
                in the thickness I need. As a last resort I could probably laminate 2"
                boards to make the main timber. For the frames I am leaning toward
                laminating those from 1/4" or 3/16" thick strips to build up the 7/8" x 7/8"
                frames required.
                On another note, I am still blown away that a 17'3" boat has 1400 pounds
                of lead in the keel! I have 450 pounds now and collecting every week. The
                tire stores call me the "guy building the boat"...

                Later,
                Don Douglas

                > The southern yellow pine Wm. Atkin was writing about is just about
                > impossible to get ahold of nowadays. The SYP from plantations is another
                > animal altogether. :o( Douglas fir has been used for backbones, but the
                > heavy, old-growth fir for that is only a little bit easier to get than
                > old-growth SYP. Many builders now use tropical hardwoods for keels and
                > such. Some of them, like purpleheart, are relatively cheap and are
                > supposed to be sustainably logged. The tropical woods are hard to work
                > (ask the fellow I know who carved a "bread and butter" horseshoe stern for
                > a big fishing boat out of purpleheart!) but strong and durable. Better
                > than oak, SYP or Douglas fir, and maybe easier to get your hands on
                > thousands of miles from salt water.
                >
                > The oak you'll need for Perigee's bent ribs will be a problem. What you'll
                > want is _green_ oak -- pretty hard to come by in a state with no oak
                > trees! Air-dried might work OK, but kiln dried is worthless for bending,
                > and it seems like all the lumber dealers stock kiln-dried wood. :o(
                >
                > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:27:50 -0700, Don D> wrote:

                > Living in Colorado is beautiful but
                >> don't try to find much in the way of boat building wood here. I have
                >> 3 wood suppliers here that I can get some stuff from: white oak,
                >> Douglas Fir, some tropical stuff etc, but nothing that I can use for
                >> my keel and deadwood. The Perigee plans spec out white oak for the
                >> keel backbone, deadwood, sternpost and stem, but try to find
                >> 4"x16"x12' white oak in a state that does not have a single native
                >> oak tree! Atkin mentioned many times that he would use Southern
                >> Yellow Pine in place of white oak for these pieces but that does not
                >> grow here either.

                > John <jkohnen@...>
                > One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous
                > citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases
                > which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for
                > independence. <Charles A. Beard>

                > polite.

                > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • ehrenherman
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 29, 2007
                  large fir timbers green or otherwise not a problem
                  http://www.greatnorthernlumber.com/index.html I believe they have fir
                  timbers up to 24x24xamileandahalf in ohio if I recall.
                • Don Douglas
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 30, 2007
                    Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used them before? It is 1027 miles to their warehouse! But not much different than going to south Texas/Arkansas, etc. Think I will send them an email.

                    Thanks,
                    Don Douglas

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 30, 2007
                      If you're willing to laminate the frames, you can laminate the backbone
                      too, Don. It'd even have advantages if the boat is going to be trailered.
                      People have reported failures over time with gluing white oak with epoxy,
                      and also with some oily tropical hardwoods. The Gougeon brothers have a
                      new epoxy that's supposed to work better with difficult woods, but it's
                      probably still best to use woods you _know_ glue well with epoxy for
                      laminated frame members. Mahogany and Douglas fir are among the strong
                      woods that glue well with epoxy. There are really only a few woods that
                      don't.

                      On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:11:43 -0700, Don D wrote:

                      > Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used them before? It is 1027 miles
                      > to their warehouse! But not much different than going to south
                      > Texas/Arkansas, etc. Think I will send them an email.
                      > http://www.greatnorthernlumber.com/index.html I believe they have fir
                      > timbers up to 24x24xamileandahalf in ohio if I recall.

                      When I reflect upon the number of disagreeable people who I know
                      have gone to a better world, I am moved to lead a different
                      life. <Mark Twain>