New Member

  • slusher_ben
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 13, 2007
      Hello,

      My name is Ben and I live in the US, state of Michigan. I was
      wondering if there were any builders/owners in my area. I've been
      looking for a larger project and the sea-going cutters and sloops have
      caught my eye, something in the 20 to 30 foot range. The little
      dipper, maid of endor, gary thomas, etc.

      Thanks.....Ben
    • thedumbox2
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2007
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "slusher_ben" <pipercubdream@...> wrote:
        Hi, Ben,

        Not a builder or owner of an Atkin's boat, but own some sets of plans and live in MI -- the
        Grand Rapids area. Welcome aboard.

        Dennis

      • pipercubdream@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 27, 2007
          Hi Dennis,

          I live over in Durand, about 45 minutes east of Lansing. Which plans do you
          have? I've been looking at perigee, little dipper, eric jr,, maid of
          endore, etc. I've been receiving some pictures of eric jr. from a gentleman who
          had photographed the restoration of Tyke. A gorgeous little ship, she would do
          very well here in the Great Lakes area. If you ever consider building one
          of Atkins designs maybe we could collaborate.

          Regards,

          Ben

        • Shawn_A_Rogers
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
            Hello! I'm a newbie just getting to know Atkin boats. I'm attracted to the rescue minor design and wonder if anyone knows if it was ever done with electric power.
            SR
          • windmill4048
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 2, 2010

              I own a disel powered Rescue Minor and find it to be a very good boat for shallow waters in Florida bays.

              The design does perform better when the overall weight is loer, say 800 -900 pounds or less. If you are thinking about electric power you need to do some very careful weight projections first.

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 5, 2010
                Unless very shallow draft is important, Rescue Minor isn't a good choice
                for electric power. The "fuel" for an electric motor is very heavy and
                bulky. If you put a powerful enough electric motor in Rescue Minor to give
                her the performance Wm. Atkin designed he for you could only put enough
                batteries in her to have a very, very short range; any more and she'd get
                too heavy to perform well. The most sensible thing to do would be to put a
                small electric motor in Rescue Minor and run her as a displacement speed
                boat. Weight isn't so important in that speed range, and the small motor
                won't need as many batteries for good range anyway. But Rescue Minor's
                hull isn't particularly efficient at displacement speeds, and electric
                motors work most efficiently with large propellers, and Rescue Minor
                doesn't have room for a big wheel. You could do an electric Rescue Minor,
                but I don't think you'd be very happy with it.

                Better choices for electric power would be some of the Atkin boats
                designed to get along with little power. The ones intended to use
                relatively slow turning engines like the Universal Fisherman should be
                able to accommodate a big enough propeller for efficiency. If you pay
                attention to weight you might end up with an electric boat that'll outrun
                the typical heavy displacement electric boats, yet still have good range.
                The Fisherman with reverse gear weighs almost 300 lb., so replacing that
                lump of iron with a much lighter electric motor gives you weight allowance
                for a good start on a battery bank before you start adding extra weight to
                the boat. Here are a few boats I think have promise:

                http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/EasyGoer.html

                http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/FrankToop.html

                http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/SallieHyde.html

                http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/SergeantFaunce.html

                --
                John (jkohnen@...)
                I am not a member of any organized party — I am a Democrat.