Normand stern

  • chodges31711
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 26, 2007
      I think the reason Shoals Runner has the Normand stern is to get the
      rudder out of the tunnel. On most of the other tunnel types the chine
      is high enough for the prop wash deflected by the rudder to go under it
      and out to the side. On Shoals Runner the low chine would block the
      flow from a rudder inboard of a square stern. The alternative would be
      an outboard rudder like on Sandpiper which also has low chines.
      Several people have said that they did not care for the Normand stern.
      They might need to think through any changes.

      Charles
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2007
        I like the Normand stern on Shoals Runner, I think it will make the boat
        behave like a double-ender in a following sea.

        Shoals Runner also has a rudder that is better protected than the other
        tunnel-stern boats with its steel shoe extending from the aft bottom of
        the box keel past the end of the rudder then up onto the transom. This
        should make backing this boat safer for the rudder than any of the
        other tunnel-stern boats in the Atkin fleet.

        But I'm not sure the Normand stern is used for the reason you
        described ...

        It is my understanding that a rudder on an inboard powered boat is never
        turned more than 30 or 40 degrees or it will stall out because of the
        high angle of attack, and then it will behave like a brake instead of a
        rudder. When I look at the Tolman Seabright I'm building -- which
        theoretically has the same keel, prop and rudder locations as Rescue
        Minor -- it looks like the rudder would have to turn more than 70
        degrees in order to divert water across the chines.

        I think there must be another reason for the Normand stern. I have
        always thought it was used as an elegant way to give the
        boat "double-ender" performance without bending the aft sides toward
        the center line.

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com

        --
      • Mike Dolph
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 26, 2007
          Well the Normand stern was used a lot in early New England power
          boats. By the time Shoalsrunner was designed it might have been
          regarded as "vernacular" and William Atkins did "vernacular". He
          might have wanted some extra run to sort out the prop wash too. I
          wouldn't hesitate to own one if I had the chance.

          John Dolph

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome