Re: [AtkinBoats] prop clearances

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 25, 2007
      Robb White never mentioned any vibration in his Rescue Minor, and from
      what I have read he built the bottom -- or at least the tunnel
      section -- exactly to the plans. This does not prove there was no
      vibration of course, but I suspect that Robb would have mentioned it if
      there were.

      Someone else built a Rescue Minor recently, and it was supposedly built
      to plans. A friend of his posted some pictures of the boat online, but
      the owner does not seem to be a person who spends his time online, so
      we may never hear from him about this issue.

      I don't think anyone has built Shoals Runner in a very long time (if
      ever) so I doubt that there is any info on this design either.

      Note that these hulls are not rounded in the top of the inverted vee.
      They actually have a plywood joint there that creates a very shallow
      vee, so maybe Gerr's rule of two inches does not apply here.

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      > Does the minimum 2 inch propeller tip clearance that Dave Gerr talks
      > about apply to Atkin tunnels? If not, do they have a vibration
      > problem?
      >
      > Rescue Minor and Shoals Runner plans show less than a 14 inch space
      > from shoe to hull for a 10 inch prop.
      > I have seen one book excerpt at Amazon that said clearance in a round
      > top tunnel should be less than 1 inch.
      >
      > Charles
    • Ronald Fossum
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 26, 2007
        It's interesting the amount of variance that knowledgeable people in this field propose. 'Course the truth is that propeller design has so many variables that it's surprising that anyone gets close to agreement with another. Usually the designer - particularly if we're talking 50+ years ago, as is the case here - is smack on. Weston Farmer, a contemporary of Bill Atkin, and an authority on propellers in medium speed boats of the 30s & 40s (worked for ELCO prior to and during WWII), always used "15% of the diameter is the minimum clearance". Which is about what the Rescue Minor design has.

        Ron Fossum

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2007
          I went back and looked up Geer's "The Nature Of Boats" and did not
          find the 2 inch ROT. He mentioned that 10% prop diameter was a bare
          minimum and that 14% to 18% was much better as a minimum. So Farmer's
          15% is right in the ballpark for modern times.

          Lewis

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Fossum" <artemis@...> wrote:

          > It's interesting the amount of variance that knowledgeable people in
          this field propose. 'Course the truth is that propeller design has so
          many variables that it's surprising that anyone gets close to
          agreement with another. Usually the designer - particularly if we're
          talking 50+ years ago, as is the case here - is smack on. Weston
          Farmer, a contemporary of Bill Atkin, and an authority on propellers
          in medium speed boats of the 30s & 40s (worked for ELCO prior to and
          during WWII), always used "15% of the diameter is the minimum
          clearance". Which is about what the Rescue Minor design has.

          > Ron Fossum

        • chodges31711
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
            In Mr. Gerr's Propeller Handbook he states those percentages and then
            said but not less than 2 inches. That would imply that 10% is for props
            over 20 inches.

            Charles

            <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

            > I went back and looked up Geer's "The Nature Of Boats" and did not
            > find the 2 inch ROT. He mentioned that 10% prop diameter was a bare
            > minimum and that 14% to 18% was much better as a minimum. So Farmer's
            > 15% is right in the ballpark for modern times.
            >
            > Lewis
          • adharvey2
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 28, 2007
              In the article accompanying the plans for Sand Dollar, Wm. Atkins
              writes:
              "There is ample clearance for a propeller diameter of 15 inches. I
              think it may be of interest to explain that the tips of the blades can
              clear the bottom of the horn timber by very little and still perform
              efficiently. There is little, if any, advantage of two or three inches
              space between the tips of the blades and the hull. And there is real
              disadvantage in this practice - the angularity of the propeller is
              increased, a feature which should always be avoided. So far as
              damaging the propeller or damaging the bottom of the boat if drift is
              picked up I might ask what avail will be the 2 or 3 inch clearance be
              if it is invaded by a piece of, say 3 1/4 inch thick, drift wood? Any
              drift wood as light as 1/8 inches to 1/4 inches thick will do little
              damage, excepting to itself, and if you strike anything much heavier
              than this it will damage the propeller despite any amount of clearance
              provided. And becides a hull with a proper keel, shoe, and protected
              rudder is not likely to pick up floating or half submerged drifting
              things. For the same reason I can see no use in fitting a metal strike
              plate on the bottom of the hull over the propeller."

              Most of that relates more to protection than efficiency but I
              thought it best to keep it in context.

              Andrew Harvey

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Fossum" <artemis@...> wrote:

              > It's interesting the amount of variance that knowledgeable people in
              this field propose. 'Course the truth is that propeller design has so
              many variables that it's surprising that anyone gets close to
              agreement with another. Usually the designer - particularly if we're
              talking 50+ years ago, as is the case here - is smack on. Weston
              Farmer, a contemporary of Bill Atkin, and an authority on propellers
              in medium speed boats of the 30s & 40s (worked for ELCO prior to and
              during WWII), always used "15% of the diameter is the minimum
              clearance". Which is about what the Rescue Minor design has.

              > Ron Fossum

            • chodges31711
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 1, 2007
                I think the problem with too little clearance is vibration (noise?)
                created as prop blades pass by the narrow spot. The vibration is less
                with more blades and/or more clearance.

                Charles