Twinkle speed

  • rljssn
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 17, 2007
      I was looking at the shallow draft boats after reading Rob's article in
      Wooden Boat magazine about his modified Rescue Minor and saw a 16
      footer with inboard power. Twinkle is a heavy duty working utility that
      could get 6mph with 5 horses. The max power of 9 or 10 horses
      recommended would net what?

      thanks,
      Russell
    • Kenneth Grome
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 17, 2007
        The write-up says: 'For Twinkle I would not go over 10 h.p.; and 3 h.p.
        will be ample for speeds up to six miles an hour. Remember Twinkle is
        not a racing boat."

        I think this boat may never go more than 20 mph, any perhaps 15 mph is
        more realistic. This type of tunnel is less efficient than his
        tunnel-stern Seabright designs, and those only go 17-20 mph, so I would
        expect this boat to be slower if you want it to be safe.

        It's an inboard design, which inboard engine are you thinking of using?

        Sincerely,
        Ken Grome
        Bagacay Boatworks
        www.bagacayboatworks.com

        > I was looking at the shallow draft boats after reading Rob's article
        > in Wooden Boat magazine about his modified Rescue Minor and saw a 16
        > footer with inboard power. Twinkle is a heavy duty working utility
        > that could get 6mph with 5 horses. The max power of 9 or 10 horses
        > recommended would net what?
        >
        > thanks,
        > Russell
      • rljssn
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2007
          I was thinking a Honda gas model (air cooled) with pulley type speed
          reduction. I had not thought of reverse since I read that Rob White
          had one he rarely ever used. He had ideas of improvements but was
          putting them off. I have thought that maybe a centrifical clutch like
          on a go cart or chainsaw could provide a useful neutral. Either that
          or use a longer belt with a spring loaded idler pulley attached to a
          lever to disengage the engine for a neutral.

          I think anything in the way of twelve to fifteen mph would be
          sufficient for me. More in an emergency would be nice.
          Russell

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome