Shaft seal like the one Robb While used ...

  • Kenneth Grome
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
      Can anyone tell me where I can get a propeller shaft seal like the one
      Robb White used on his Rescue Minor?

      I think he used one that was made for a water pump, didn't he?

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com
    • Ron Butterfield
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
        I haven't seen what he used, but based on his description, I think
        what are shown on this page are similar:
        http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3372

        --
        Regards,
        RonB

        On 8/16/07, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...> wrote:
        > Can anyone tell me where I can get a propeller shaft seal like the one
        > Robb White used on his Rescue Minor?
        >
        > I think he used one that was made for a water pump, didn't he?
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Ken Grome
        > Bagacay Boatworks
        > www.bagacayboatworks.com
      • Kenneth Grome
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
          > I haven't seen what he used, but based on his description,
          > I think what are shown on this page are similar:
          > http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3372

          Hi Ron,

          Thanks for that link! It got me started on the right track, then I
          found some other web sites with even more details on this type of pump
          shaft seal. It looks like I can use them in the boat I'm building now,
          and well as in several of the inboard powered boats I'm designing.

          These Atkin tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs are intriguing to me. I
          especially like Shoals Runner's bottom design. I know of no other boat
          that offers such an attractive combination of features as these:

          1- a very well protected propeller and rudder
          2- drafts only 6-7 inches with the prop in the water
          3- sits stable and upright when out of the water
          4- can be beached almost anywhere without damage
          5- can be trailered on a cheap flatbed utility trailer
          6- is very seaworthiness in offshore conditions
          7- uses an inexpensive, fuel efficient inboard engine
          8- gets better than average mileage at 15-20 mph
          9- runs efficiently throughout its entire speed range

          Lots of people seem to be very intrigued by Rescue Minor. But as I
          understand it, Shoals Runner is William Atkin's last design of this
          type. This suggests that he may have identified deficiencies in his
          earlier models (possibly including Rescue Minor) and corrected them
          when he designed Shoals Runner.

          This is only a theory of course, but it appears to 'make sense' to me
          after reading performance reports on Rescue Minor and noting subtle
          differences in the characteristics of these two hulls from the line
          drawings on the web site.

          I'm designing some new versions of these tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs
          myself. I'm leaning toward hull bottoms that look more like Shoals
          Runner because of my theory that the more recent designs in a naval
          architect's portfolio are often better boats than earlier models.

          Sincerely,
          Ken Grome
          Bagacay Boatworks
          www.bagacayboatworks.com
        • Lewis E. Gordon
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
            Kenneth,

            I also remember reading that Robb changed to a conventional shaft seal
            after hearing that the ceramic types, when failing, failed suddenly
            with no warning at all.

            Lewis

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Grome <bagacayboatworks@...>
            wrote:

            > > I haven't seen what he used, but based on his description,
            > > I think what are shown on this page are similar:
            > > http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3372
            >

            > Hi Ron,
            >
            > Thanks for that link! It got me started on the right track, then I
            > found some other web sites with even more details on this type of pump
            > shaft seal. It looks like I can use them in the boat I'm building
            now,
            > and well as in several of the inboard powered boats I'm designing.
            >
            > These Atkin tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs are intriguing to me. I
            > especially like Shoals Runner's bottom design. I know of no other
            boat
            > that offers such an attractive combination of features as these:
            >
            > 1- a very well protected propeller and rudder
            > 2- drafts only 6-7 inches with the prop in the water
            > 3- sits stable and upright when out of the water
            > 4- can be beached almost anywhere without damage
            > 5- can be trailered on a cheap flatbed utility trailer
            > 6- is very seaworthiness in offshore conditions
            > 7- uses an inexpensive, fuel efficient inboard engine
            > 8- gets better than average mileage at 15-20 mph
            > 9- runs efficiently throughout its entire speed range
            >
            > Lots of people seem to be very intrigued by Rescue Minor. But as I
            > understand it, Shoals Runner is William Atkin's last design of this
            > type. This suggests that he may have identified deficiencies in his
            > earlier models (possibly including Rescue Minor) and corrected them
            > when he designed Shoals Runner.
            >
            > This is only a theory of course, but it appears to 'make sense' to me
            > after reading performance reports on Rescue Minor and noting subtle
            > differences in the characteristics of these two hulls from the line
            > drawings on the web site.
            >
            > I'm designing some new versions of these tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs
            > myself. I'm leaning toward hull bottoms that look more like Shoals
            > Runner because of my theory that the more recent designs in a naval
            > architect's portfolio are often better boats than earlier models.
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Ken Grome
            > Bagacay Boatworks
            > www.bagacayboatworks.com

          • Kenneth Grome
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 16, 2007
              > I also remember reading that Robb changed to
              > a conventional shaft seal after hearing that the
              > ceramic types, when failing, failed suddenly with
              > no warning at all.

              Hi Lewis,

              Thanks for this information.

              Do you happen to remember where you heard or read this? If so can you
              point me to the reference? I'm asking because I thought I had read
              everything there is to read about Robb's Rescue Minor, and this is news
              to me.

              I don't know much about ceramic shaft seals either. Maybe they fail
              catastrophically and maybe they don't. I'm reading about them now ...

              Sincerely,
              Ken Grome
              Bagacay Boatworks
              www.bagacayboatworks.com