Re: Happy Time

  • thorpe_stephen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 12 8:16 PM
      Lewis
      My uncle started sailing Tumlarens over 30 years ago (he has owned a
      couple) when they still popular here for class sailing. In the
      1930's a storm wrecked many of the yacht fleets here and clubs sought
      new classes to sail. The Tumlaren was selected by a large club and
      many were built - I think the brief was for an affordable boat that
      was safe and could be home-built. There are still a dozen or so
      sailing here but not as a class. They seem to be more 'classic'
      yachts now. He is fully restoring the boat that he believes was
      the 'best in class' - he has retired to apply himself to the task and
      it has taken him a year or two so far. I sailed with him in a
      Tumlaren when I was a teenager and it was a pretty exciting sail in
      30 knots. He is strictly a 'round the bouys sailer - he says the
      only place he has ever wanted to sail is to the starting line!

      Stephen