Re: Happy Time

  • thorpe_stephen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
      Lewis
      Thank you for encouragement. I have an uncle who sails Tumlaren
      yachts and he isn't keen on Happy Days - he thought 'Joan' would be a
      better boat. However, I have sent off for the study plans and I will
      see how I go. Good luck with the motoring, rowing and (one day)
      sailing.

      Stephen
      <l_gordon_nica@...> wrote:

      > Stephen,
      >
      > I had hoped that some more experienced sailors would have replied by
      > now, but no luck. I'm not a sailor (yet), just a power boater and
      some
      > rowing. From everything I have read, the Atkins designs perform just
      > as advertised. This means that "Happy Time" should be stiff and able
      > to carry that tall sail in some pretty heavy winds. For 25-35 knots,
      > that second reef point might see a lot of use! It should be a very
      dry
      > boat and I think you will surprise a lot of club members with good
      > windward ability in that 1.5 to 2 meter chop. It sounds like
      > conditions here on Lake Nicaragua (100 miles long by 40 miles wide)
      > when the wind picks up.
      >
      > It will not be as "nimble" as the center boarders you are used to
      > sailing, but should track very well. I can't think of a safer or as
      > comfortable a family boat in this size range.
      >
      > Lewis
      > Granada, Nicaragua
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "thorpe_stephen"
      > <ligiapelosi63@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Lewis
      > > Thanks for your response. I would be able keep the boat on a
      swing
      > > mooring and carry out maintenance on the club slipway. I suppose
      > > was looking at whether more contemorary boat building techniques
      had
      > > been used because I am more familiar with them. I am building a
      15"
      > > centreboad boat at a local boatbuilding college that is ply-
      lapstrake
      > > and others are building similar boats but no one is building
      carvel
      > > or solid timber boats.
      > >
      > > I was also wondering about sailing peformance - I have only
      sailed
      > > centreboard trailerable boats (other than crewing on much larger
      > > boats) and want a boat that is as fast as possible for its length
      and
      > > able to be sailed under a range of conditions. Where I live we
      have
      > > a large, fairly open and shallow bay that is about 60km long and
      > > quickly blows up to 25-35 knots and waves 1.5 to 2m. Most wind
      is
      > > either north or south with a seabreeze and you either have to
      sail
      > > into it on the way out or on the way home and a boat that goes to
      > > windward well is important.
      > >
      > > My lack of experience and knowledge of keel boat sailing is
      probably
      > > showing! But I am interested in both making and sailing one to
      > > involve my whole family in sailing without worrying about
      capsizing.

      > > Stephen

    • Lewis E. Gordon
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 9, 2007
        Stephen,

        Interesting! I can see the old "plan on edge" vs. "skimming dish"
        debate brewing! <grin> Joan is a good looking boat but all that draft
        and ballast would add to the building cost. Plus, the essay mentions
        space for a crew of two which eliminates it as a "family" day sailor;
        and, Joan is designed as an auxiliary which adds cost, complication,
        and steals from the available space.

        Let us know what you think of the study plans for Happy Time when they
        arrive. Your uncle has vastly more sailing experience than myself, but
        I think Happy Time will be faster on almost all points of sail,
        dryer, and less heeling (good to keep the family happy). By the way,
        what factors influenced your uncle's choice?

        Sincerely,
        Lewis

        <ligiapelosi63@...> wrote:

        > Lewis
        > Thank you for encouragement. I have an uncle who sails Tumlaren
        > yachts and he isn't keen on Happy Days - he thought 'Joan' would be a
        > better boat. However, I have sent off for the study plans and I will
        > see how I go. Good luck with the motoring, rowing and (one day)
        > sailing.
        >
        > Stephen
        > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Lewis E. Gordon"

      • thorpe_stephen
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 12, 2007
          Lewis
          My uncle started sailing Tumlarens over 30 years ago (he has owned a
          couple) when they still popular here for class sailing. In the
          1930's a storm wrecked many of the yacht fleets here and clubs sought
          new classes to sail. The Tumlaren was selected by a large club and
          many were built - I think the brief was for an affordable boat that
          was safe and could be home-built. There are still a dozen or so
          sailing here but not as a class. They seem to be more 'classic'
          yachts now. He is fully restoring the boat that he believes was
          the 'best in class' - he has retired to apply himself to the task and
          it has taken him a year or two so far. I sailed with him in a
          Tumlaren when I was a teenager and it was a pretty exciting sail in
          30 knots. He is strictly a 'round the bouys sailer - he says the
          only place he has ever wanted to sail is to the starting line!

          Stephen